Whistling while breathing

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I would be willing to bet that the 'whistling' noise the many keepers are speaking of is simply the sound of the tortoises breathing. The larger they get, the deeper this sound becomes but it could still be described as somewhat of a whistle...I guess anyway. In my tortoises this sound becomes a bit higher pitched when they are excited and breathing faster-- as when smelling food, males checking the females out, or when I stick my head into their hides to look at them.

Yeah, I see similar patterns in the loudness when I do these things. Thanks Carl, your insight always carries a lot of traction given your experience. By the way, saw some of your photos in Vinke & Vetter, very cool!

@pfara , that's exactly the sound I'm talking about, well done! If anyone is curious about the sound we're discussing, just watch pfara's video.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Chris, I hope you don't mind me posting this video on your thread. I was just very curious with Carl's statement that the whistling is probably the sound of regular breathing. My other guys *sometimes* whistle but not as much as Punch. Does everyone elses whistling/squeaking tortoise sound like this?

In that video your tortoise looks small and adorable. I think that it appears that Redfoots breath loudly. I wish I knew how to do the YouTube video stuff but I so don't know how to do that stuff LOL! I could post a video. Mine just don't have that high pitch squeak. But I'm wondering if it's because your tortoise is just younger. My one probably did that squeak I just don't remember. Now it's like heavy breathing.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I would be willing to bet that the 'whistling' noise the many keepers are speaking of is simply the sound of the tortoises breathing. The larger they get, the deeper this sound becomes but it could still be described as somewhat of a whistle...I guess anyway. In my tortoises this sound becomes a bit higher pitched when they are excited and breathing faster-- as when smelling food, males checking the females out, or when I stick my head into their hides to look at them.

Come to think of it, I've noticed the exact same thing. When they get excited over food or are chasing down a female, they do it more. And some of them that usually don't, sometimes do it at odd moments, like when they are excited. Interesting thought.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I played the video but with the sound up, didn't hear it, just the obvious throat pumping

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I see similar patterns in the loudness when I do these things. Thanks Carl, your insight always carries a lot of traction given your experience. By the way, saw some of your photos in Vinke & Vetter, very cool!

@pfara , that's exactly the sound I'm talking about, well done! If anyone is curious about the sound we're discussing, just watch pfara's video.

The redfoots are the only ones here that do the stalker breathing.....and one of them I too can hear in the middle of the night when it is quiet, especially if the tort is on a hunting mission mucking through the substrate for a passing morsel....or tossing the water dish about before bedtime....lol...they are very amusing for sure....oh and no, no split scutes...

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The redfoots are the only ones here that do the stalker breathing.....and one of them I too can hear in the middle of the night when it is quiet, especially if the tort is on a hunting mission mucking through the substrate for a passing morsel....or tossing the water dish about before bedtime....lol...they are very amusing for sure....oh and no, no split scutes...
Lol..stalker breathing, well said :)

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
my 10" rf male has whistling breathing for two yrs,but only when he very intense trying to get out of the enclo,or walking fast in the yard,it seems to happen everytime he excited or a bit afraid

Leapin

I'm so glad I found this thread- very helpful! Lucy has always clicked (which freaked me out at first) when he's out exploring, but lately I've noticed whistling, especially when it's meal time. It sounds like it's normal as long as there isn't discharge. Thank you!

Mrs_Gal1981

San Antonio, TX
I know this is a very old thread but, any new developments on this? We just got our young red foot 5 days ago, and I just love sitting out there and watching him chill, or eat. I started to notice this sound a couple of days ago and thought it was faraway birds, but I started paying attention and it is him. I see the throat puffing / breathing at the same rhythm of the sound. I can hear it when it’s very quiet outside. We got him from Petco and he’s under the 30 day health guarantee, so I want to make sure this is normal before calling their vet. Reading the comments up here, the description and the video, it sounds exactly like him, although the tortoise in the video does seem to be breathing faster than he does. Exact same wheezing-like sound. There is no discharge from nose nor eyes, and he seems to be eating and walking just fine. It is hella humid outside and it’s been raining since yesterday. Before that we were misting the whole enclosure. Wondering if he’s just scared/excited when I bring out food. Today I noticed he doesn’t make the whistling sound when he’s eating. Just before and after.
Are the tortoises mentioned in this thread just fine? Did they eventually stop?

Redfoot Yellowfoot

Lenoir City, TN
I have a 1 and a half old, my most active redfoot who is a noisy breather. Does seem to increase when he is excited. Not sure. He has no other signs of respiratory problems either.