Whistling while breathing

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi fellow experts,
One of my tortoises (Mimosa) makes whistling noises when s/he breathes. It's been going on for 6-8 months now, it's very consistent and I'm wondering if it's signs of a URI or something similar. It almost sounds like a kid with noise whistles from congestion, you know what I mean?

Eyes are clear, tortoise is extremely active (no long soaks observed), and appetite is normal. I'm a bit stumped so I thought I'd garner opinions here.

Humidity in the new enclosure (closed chamber) is 70% using standing water & heat ropes under the substrate, I'm going to be adding a humidifier shortly. I'm not sure how I feel about the "cool mist" humidifiers but I'm going to give it a shot. I worry they have URI written all over them with cool, moist air being pumped in.

Temps are 80 - 85 between ends. Basking spot is also present and runs at around 90.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
That's a long time for an Infection. But it does sound like upper respiratory. You don't have a vet?
I'll have to look one up in my area. I'll use the forum as a first resource, we have quite a compilation of vets.

I thought it sounds like one but there's no discharge from nose/eyes and, like I said, everything has been normal.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I have a young adult male with this issue. 3-4 years ago he started making slight whistling noises out of his nostrils when he breathes. This has been going on for years since, and has never affected his health what-so-ever….Really don't have an explanation for it, but it's never hurt him. Eats, sleeps and chases females around just like any ol' red foot ;).

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Is the tortoise doing this at all times or only when active/exploring/excited?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have one RF who has done this and it's been 3 years. I feel like mine does it more when the humidity is down. He is very healthy and active so I don't worry about it. Never has he had a runny nose or any other symptoms!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have a young adult male with this issue. 3-4 years ago he started making slight whistling noises out of his nostrils when he breathes. This has been going on for years since, and has never affected his health what-so-ever….Really don't have an explanation for it, but it's never hurt him. Eats, sleeps and chases females around just like any ol' red foot ;).
Curious, mine seems to be the same way but it's still an unknown juvenile. Chances are good I'll take him/her in for a check just to be safe.

@Momof4 seems like you've had a similar experience as myself and Turtlepete... I'm stumped.

@lisa127 it's constant. They aren't "chirps" if that's what you may (or may not?) be thinking of.

Please keep your inputs coming everyone, this is a really helpful discussion for me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Curious, mine seems to be the same way but it's still an unknown juvenile. Chances are good I'll take him/her in for a check just to be safe.

@Momof4 seems like you've had a similar experience as myself and Turtlepete... I'm stumped.

@lisa127 it's constant. They aren't "chirps" if that's what you may (or may not?) be thinking of.

Please keep your inputs coming everyone, this is a really helpful discussion for me.

I have one here that is a constant whistler and has been so since I took the tortoise in....all else business as usual so I don't worry about any issue...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have one here that is a constant whistler and has been so since I took the tortoise in....all else business as usual so I don't worry about any issue...

Angela,
As you know, I don't like treating for anything that isn't there. I find the stress leads to additional complications and like I've said everything is normal. I'm glad to hear you and others have had similar experiences with a whistler that is otherwise completely healthy.

Mimosa is 1/3 tortoises in my 4-tortoise collection with split scutes. I recently read split scutes was in indication of poor health in Vinke and Vetter, I wonder if there's some sort of congenital issue with my splitty that doesn't effect his/her survival in captivity but could lead to respiratory issues?

Does your squeeker have split scutes? Do any of you others with squeekers/wheezers have split scutes?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Some are just loud breathers. One of my big females can be head breathing from across my back yard on quiet nights (meaning no air conditioners running, etc.) and if she knows I'm back there, I can her her breathing pick up.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I took ANOTHER 2 adult redfoots on about 3 month ago, They both whistled, They came from a house where they lived in and around the house constantly like a dog would. There was no Proper environment for them to retrieve to when required.
Mine are in the house but I also provide a closed tort table that they come and go as they please.
My temps are 77 to 91f and at tortoise level the humidity is 65% to 90% and above tort level its 99%.
They no longer whistle.
They drink plenty of water and sit in there baths sometimes. I personally think its connected to hydration, I also think some foods help with hydration like tomatoes,melon,romaine lettuce,cucumber,kiwi,red grapes, and strawberry's mixed in with other variants. Just my opinion not fact ( I don't think).
Also I'm not keen on the idea of underfloor heating, Dries em out from underneath. Where are your heat ropes cool or warm end.Is your substrate moist.

Craig

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
One of my juvies has that constant whistle, too. Been going on for over a year. Clear eyes and nares, active and eating well. Humidity is almost always over 80%. She isn't a split scute. Glad to hear that this isn't such an uncommon occurance nor does it seem to be a health issue.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Redstrike- My largest redfoot is quite a loud breather if you will. If you were in a room by yourself and that tortoise was hiding somewhere, you'd kind of be freaked out lol. Now since this past summer, my 3rd largest redfoot has become quite a noisy breather too! I have read somewhere that this is common for Redfoots. I wish I could recall where I read this at ?!?! It's been awhile. My largest redfoot has been doing the loud whistling sound for nearly 4 years. I'm not saying it's ok, but I have taken my largest redfoot in 2 times for URI due to a clear runny nose, but this was many years ago. The vet said it's possible that my tortoise will have respiratory issues for life :eek:. I bought this tortoise at an older age 5 or so. But I'd most definitely keep an eye on the nose & see if there's clear runny liquid. Now my other tortoise who has started to do the whistling sounds, I've yet to see any signs of URI. My other 2 Redfoots are silent breathers. Ones much older, whereas the other one is 3 yrs old. Im no expert, just wanted to share my noisy breathing redfoot stories with ha :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The more stories I hear, the better I'm feeling. I have yet to see anything coming from Mimosa's nares but I will keep an eye out for it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have a 4 year old Redfoot that whistles. She has checked out in perfect health. Lives with other Redfoots without a problem. This has gone on for 2 years.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Maybe there is a genetic line of redfoot whistlers !
The turtle form of a human deviated septum ???

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The more stories I hear, the better I'm feeling. I have yet to see anything coming from Mimosa's nares but I will keep an eye out for it.

I would be willing to bet that the 'whistling' noise the many keepers are speaking of is simply the sound of the tortoises breathing. The larger they get, the deeper this sound becomes but it could still be described as somewhat of a whistle...I guess anyway. In my tortoises this sound becomes a bit higher pitched when they are excited and breathing faster-- as when smelling food, males checking the females out, or when I stick my head into their hides to look at them.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I agree with you all and I don't think its a problem, But the 2 sisters I got were really heavy whistlers and now they are not, You can here them breathing heavy with a very faint whistle in the background but nothing like they did. Were they only heavy whistlers at 1st because they were scared. Will I ever know why? It can only be either diet or humidity that has changed for them.

Thank you all

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Chris, I hope you don't mind me posting this video on your thread. I was just very curious with Carl's statement that the whistling is probably the sound of regular breathing. My other guys *sometimes* whistle but not as much as Punch. Does everyone elses whistling/squeaking tortoise sound like this?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Chris, I hope you don't mind me posting this video on your thread. I was just very curious with Carl's statement that the whistling is probably the sound of regular breathing. My other guys *sometimes* whistle but not as much as Punch. Does everyone elses whistling/squeaking tortoise sound like this?

That's quiet, mind you the video won't play.:) seriously video won't play, just says "this video is private"