Humidity for Red Foot tortoise

Savhyuga

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hello, I my boyfriend and I just received a red foot tortoise from an old friend who could not take care of him anymore. I'm realizing a tortoise is a lot of work but I am prepared! Hes about 4 years old now so he's fairly big and we have in a fairly small tank, we're working on getting him a bigger one but this is the one the friend had given us. We have a humidifer pumping into the enclosure and im just really worried about all the water vapor, can he breathe in it? Its working to keep the humidity at around 80% throughout the day while we're at work. Any advice? We need the humidifer because the heating lamps just suck up all the moisture that we spritz in the morning. Is all the water vapor OK for him? 16033086216243627171018971852506.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Since you asked about your tort breathing the high humid air caused by your humidifier, yes, thats fine. I know you just joined & just received your tort, so get working on all those changes. Much larger enclosure, proper lighting, heat, basking area. Make sure your overnight temps don’t drop or you will end up with an upper respiratory infection. Lots of great info under the REDFOOT section. @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT will pop in as well I’m sure.

➡️➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/

Savhyuga

Edmonton
Greetings. Since you asked about your tort breathing the high humid air caused by your humidifier, yes, thats fine. I know you just joined & just received your tort, so get working on all those changes. Much larger enclosure, proper lighting, heat, basking area. Make sure your overnight temps don’t drop or you will end up with an upper respiratory infection. Lots of great info under the REDFOOT section. @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT will pop in as well I’m sure.

➡➡ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/
Thank you so much!! I will definitely read up on it, im planning on taking him to the vet sometime today to get some general diet info too, but thanks so much for the reply it added some ease :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you so much!! I will definitely read up on it, im planning on taking him to the vet sometime today to get some general diet info too, but thanks so much for the reply it added some ease :)

Id save your money ? and read everything here first.....

Diet-options "
In order of calcium content:

Grape Leaves, Dandelion Greens, Curly Endive ( not Belgian ) / Chicory,
Escarole, Collard Greens and last but not least.. Hibiscus (blooms & leaves).

Although a variety is good no doubt..feed what is available per season.. or what the "Produce Mgr." can order for you.. you may be surprised what you can get when you ask!
No reason to feel that you are betraying your baby because you can only find a few things in the winter.. for example!

About "Half?" of my redfoot tortoise's diet consists of fruit & protein.. combined! Too many greens alone is not good for 'omnivores' .. is what redfoot tortoises are - a source of animal protein is vital .. ( redfoot tortoises are much more carnivorous than most believe or will accept - believe what you will on that )

Their main source of D3 is derived from their diet... ( if [ young-older ] adults traditionally come out of their hiding place.. in the morning to "bask / thermo-regulate" - hide most of the day out of the sun - and back out just before dark to 'graze' a little... then that seems to indicate that they do not rely on much sun / UVB to supply their D3 needs. And if that is the case ... they can receive their D3 needs thru their diet much easier and less expensive than the cost of "UVB bulbs" - especially for those of us that need to keep ours indoors 5-7 months out of the year.

I also ( per Andy Highfield ) - http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm
use a "weight-management" type dry catfood every 7 days or so..well moistened until soft.. and "dowsed" with pure Calcium Carbonate powder (no D3).. [ most high quality / low fat dry catfood contains some D3 ]
( wait until your hatchling is 6 months old/over 3" or so before "supplementing" with protein and calcium on a weekly basis ) Like any / all writings these days ( considered scientific or otherwise ) - your choice on what you follow.
Always remember.. protein and calcium goes a long way!

Find a DRY Catfood with the highest PROTEIN / lowest FAT % you can find - what I used back then
Is no longer made. A weight management is usually the best. The small amount I have used has not shown any adverse results.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello, I my boyfriend and I just received a red foot tortoise from an old friend who could not take care of him anymore. I'm realizing a tortoise is a lot of work but I am prepared! Hes about 4 years old now so he's fairly big and we have in a fairly small tank, we're working on getting him a bigger one but this is the one the friend had given us. We have a humidifer pumping into the enclosure and im just really worried about all the water vapor, can he breathe in it? Its working to keep the humidity at around 80% throughout the day while we're at work. Any advice? We need the humidifer because the heating lamps just suck up all the moisture that we spritz in the morning. Is all the water vapor OK for him? View attachment 309500
You can ditch the humidifier if you close up the top somehow then pour some water into your substrate. I think your first priority should be building a bigger enclosure for your new tort. That tank, or any tank for that matter, is FAR too small for a four year old Redfoot.

Savhyuga

Edmonton
You can ditch the humidifier if you close up the top somehow then pour some water into your substrate. I think your first priority should be building a bigger enclosure for your new tort. That tank, or any tank for that matter, is FAR too small for a four year old Redfoot.
Yeah its honestly kind of sad seeing him in such a small cage bevause he is pretty huge, but as far as closing the enclosure we can't because the heating lamp and UVB light rest on top of the lid, but we do close it off at night which keeps the humidity without the humidifer on

Savhyuga

Edmonton
Yeah its honestly kind of sad seeing him in such a small cage bevause he is pretty huge, but as far as closing the enclosure we can't because the heating lamp and UVB light rest on top of the lid, but we do close it off at night which keeps the humidity without the humidifer on
Also, what would u say is a good size enclosure for him? 20201012_124305.jpg20201012_124305.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice Cherryhead!
Can you show us your lights?
The correct heating and lighting wont be too bright or too hot and won't be so desicating to the humidity or the tortoise.

Savhyuga

Edmonton
Nice Cherryhead!
Can you show us your lights?
The correct heating and lighting wont be too bright or too hot and won't be so desicating to the humidity or the tortoise.
These are what we have set up on top of his tank, his temperature sits at around 80F throughout the day ans when off its sits at 70F through the night96439_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1477575134_.jpg

Attachments

• 71Nai+16d6L._AC_SS350_.jpg
    71Nai+16d6L._AC_SS350_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
you should get a grow tent to act as a closed chamber.
this is Srmcclure's enclosure for his redfoot so your's might look a little similar. you can get one on amazon for about 100 dollars (maybe less, maybe more)
1603318121190.png

Attachments

• 1603318133466.png
    1603318133466.png
    21.6 MB · Views: 3

Savhyuga

Edmonton
you should get a grow tent to act as a closed chamber.
this is Srmcclure's enclosure for his redfoot so your's might look a little similar. you can get one on amazon for about 100 dollars (maybe less, maybe more)
View attachment 309533
Oh wow I never even thought of that thatd be perfect! That set up looks so lively n pretty they probably love it in there aw

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
These are what we have set up on top of his tank, his temperature sits at around 80F throughout the day ans when off its sits at 70F through the nightView attachment 309524
That's called several things here on this forum. A CFL. A coiled florescent light. A spiral florescent light or a compact, coiled florescent bulb.
They all mean that kind of bulb.
Far away like you have. They do nothing. Closer to the animal, they broadcast a very small beam of UVB that can and does cause blindness.
They are ineffective and they are dangerous to tortoises. They are also the #1 bulb that new members arrive here with. Pet shops sell the crap out of them still. And they suck.
I'm sorry. But you'll have to throw it away and use a strip florescent UVB. Preferably a T5 type. Either a 5.o (or 6%) if mounting it up to 12" away. Or a 10.0 (12%) if the light will be further away.
And for heat, day and night, you want to use a screw in CHE. A ceramic heat emitter. They provide heat without light.
These need to be mounted in a ceramic style housing because they are very hot.
The housing you currently have your CFL screwed into may or may not be this style.
I can't tell.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200131_082139.jpg
    20200131_082139.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 4