Humidity

Koopas momma

having trouble keeping humidity levels up in enclosure. (Russian tortoise)Have it halfway covered and spritzing.... Will go up to 35% then drops to 15-20% rather quickly.... Any suggestions??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Adults only need 30%. I would dampen the bottom layer of substrate a little, making it just damp or spritz more often.

Jodie

10 Year Member!
Spokane Valley WA
Misting is not usually enough. Dump water in and mix it up. What kind of substrate are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Adults only need 30%. I would dampen the bottom layer of substrate a little, making it just damp or spritz more often.

Where are you getting this 30% number? Sure they can survive at 30%, but I would not call that ideal. They can survive at 10%. With typical damp substrate and a partially covered top, my humidity hovers around 50%, and all ages do well in this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
having trouble keeping humidity levels up in enclosure. (Russian tortoise)Have it halfway covered and spritzing.... Will go up to 35% then drops to 15-20% rather quickly.... Any suggestions??

You can cover more of the top or build a closed chamber. Spritzing does very little for humidity, as you are seeing. A thick layer of appropriately damp substrate will help solve this problem.

Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
A slightly damp substrate,Live plants in pots because the tortoise will probably try to destroy them :) and covering a good deal of the top will help keep the humidity up.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
hi can you post a pic of the enclosure and we can give you ideas on how to cover it :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where are you getting this 30% number? Sure they can survive at 30%, but I would not call that ideal. They can survive at 10%. With typical damp substrate and a partially covered top, my humidity hovers around 50%, and all ages do well in this.

That's what I,have red before on here from one of he russian owners, from a couple years ago. In fact, one time they scolded me (just about) for saying they needed at least 30 to 40% them saying 20-30 was just fine. That the babies needed the higher humidity but adults did not. Mine has our average which is no lower then 30 but most of the time, in summer anyway, is higher and he has not problems with the lower or the higher humdiities we get.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I,have red before on here from one of he russian owners, from a couple years ago. In fact, one time they scolded me (just about) for saying they needed at least 30 to 40% them saying 20-30 was just fine. That the babies needed the higher humidity but adults did not. Mine has our average which is no lower then 30 but most of the time, in summer anyway, is higher and he has not problems with the lower or the higher humdiities we get.

Well I don't know who scolded you, but I would have scolded them had I seen that. Russians are adaptable and they thrive in southern FL where I doubt humidity ever drops below 50-60% and is usually closer to 80-100%. I don't think 30% will kill an adult russian, but that is really pretty dry, and I thinks its a bit low as a recommendation for an indoor enclosure. Adults can benefit from the same humidity as babies, its just that the adults don't dry out as fast with their larger body mass.

Just my opinion and observation. No scolding here. :D

Mavrik

I usually keep my tort table on the dryer side, around 25/30%, but I give my Russians and my Sulcata a good 30min soak 2x a week, and they do just fine. I also think they get plenty of hydration from the foods they are offered, since I usually spritz their greens with some extra water as well.

Just my humble two pennies, take them or leave them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually keep my tort table on the dryer side, around 25/30%, but I give my Russians and my Sulcata a good 30min soak 2x a week, and they do just fine. I also think they get plenty of hydration from the foods they are offered, since I usually spritz their greens with some extra water as well.

Just my humble two pennies, take them or leave them.

I share your experience. I've not seen any major problems when russians are kept very dry, but still properly hydrated.

But in my mind, the question is, or should be: Is 25 or 30% humidity what is best for an adult russian? Is humidity that low just survivable, or is it the perfect level that we should be recommending to people?

My point is that more moderate humidity is better for them, even though they can survive with it lower.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well I don't know who scolded you, but I would have scolded them had I seen that. Russians are adaptable and they thrive in southern FL where I doubt humidity ever drops below 50-60% and is usually closer to 80-100%. I don't think 30% will kill an adult russian, but that is really pretty dry, and I thinks its a bit low as a recommendation for an indoor enclosure. Adults can benefit from the same humidity as babies, its just that the adults don't dry out as fast with their larger body mass.

Just my opinion and observation. No scolding here. :D

:)Thanks Tom. Wish I could remember who it was, I'd let them have it now:D. So, because lots of people have a hard time maintaining a higher humidity, what would you recommend as the lowest it should be for thriving, not just surviving?
I do like to try and give the lowest humidity level exceptable for thriving as it is harder maintaining the higher levels. For some that might be limited in "whatever" I do like to try an make it as easy as possible, so,they will at least attempt to reach a more reachable goal. (Hope that made sense)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what would you recommend as the lowest it should be for thriving, not just surviving?

Well that is the question, isn't it? I don't have precise numbers. I have not tried it at the extremes for years on end with all ages, so I don't know. I know they do fine in South FL with constant high humidity, and I know they do fine here in the SoCal desert with exceedingly low humidity. Talking about outdoor housed adults here. I know that babies will pyramid with low humidity. We see that all the time here too...

My solution has been a more moderate approach. I don't worry about the number (it fluctuates between 40-60% in my indoor enclosures...), but instead I use a deep damp substrate that they can dig into and I offer a humid hide. This works well for any age, and anyone anywhere can duplicate it. I don't keep it super dry, or super humid on purpose. They can dig in or use their hide if they wish to get into a more humid microclimate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well that is the question, isn't it? I don't have precise numbers. I have not tried it at the extremes for years on end with all ages, so I don't know. I know they do fine in South FL with constant high humidity, and I know they do fine here in the SoCal desert with exceedingly low humidity. Talking about outdoor housed adults here. I know that babies will pyramid with low humidity. We see that all the time here too...

My solution has been a more moderate approach. I don't worry about the number (it fluctuates between 40-60% in my indoor enclosures...), but instead I use a deep damp substrate that they can dig into and I offer a humid hide. This works well for any age, and anyone anywhere can duplicate it. I don't keep it super dry, or super humid on purpose. They can dig in or use their hide if they wish to get into a more humid microclimate.

Okay, so now, with what temp being the lowest it can go? I am talking adults. I know they can take a much cooler temp, but with the higher humidity/damper substrate, what's the lowest their temps should go?

Mavrik

I know my problem is that I'm too attached to my torts to experiment with something temperature in the case of cold, for fear that someone would get sick...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, so now, with what temp being the lowest it can go? I am talking adults. I know they can take a much cooler temp, but with the higher humidity/damper substrate, what's the lowest their temps should go?

I've let mine drop into the high 60's with no issues. GB used to say 50's was fine and he is using damp substrate.

To be clear: I'm not advocating wet dripping substrate, just lightly dampened and mostly from the bottom up. In other words, it gets damper as they dig in deeper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now that I'm thinking about it, the above conditions are in my indoor enclosures. Outside I keep their hides slightly damp in my dry climate and they have been down in the 50s regularly outside, but with warm dry sunny days after each of those cold nights.
Many people near me, Yvonne is one, keep their russians outside full time. So when we have cold temps during out winter rain spells, these tortoises just live outside and endure it. I know Yvonne offer a dry refuge, but many people just have them running around their yard.

@Yvonne G

Will you lend us some insight on temps for outdoor russians in your neck of the woods?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know my problem is that I'm too attached to my torts to experiment with something temperature in the case of cold, for fear that someone would get sick...

That is not fear my friend...that is a good and proper thing called instinct....there are some species that are ultra sensitive to some conditions that will not as quickly negatively affect other species....Russian Tortoise should not be kept in wet/high constant cool humidity....there is too much room for error when dealing with a forced captive tortoise....

Now, just so you know, the normal prior response to me NOT agreeing with the few who have deemed themselves experts...is to attack me by the simple minded....but, I personally am not concerned.....I just felt you needed to know that your path is good. If this is what you find to work for the tortoise in your care, then do not waiver....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russian tortoises live outside up until hibernation, then I bring them in to a dry area. During their outside time, I water their yard once a week. It has been my experience that Russian tortoises die if allowed to be wet and cold. I lost the majority of my Russians the first year I left them to hibernate outside. We have too much rain here to allow that. But when the weather is above 50F being wet isn't a problem, and my climate is so dry that the soil dries out in just a couple days after I water it.

@GBtortoises hibernates his Russians outdoors and they sleep under a layer of snow, safely all winter. But then, snow isn't wet like rain is.

I have never kept Russians indoors, but if I did, I wouldn't keep them very humid. So, I guess my experience really isn't germane to this discussion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Koopas Momma:

If you're looking to raise the humidity in your indoor Russian tortoise's habitat, pour water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand until it's all wet. The lights quickly dry out the top layer of substrate, leaving it moist underneath. You can also cover or partially cover the habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside.

In my opinion, adult russian tortoises don't need the extra humidity that babies do.