I actually had to give my turtle up.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael11208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Hey guys!

I'm excited to join this forum because I am planning my next tort. I'm a complete turtle fanatic. In my lifetime (I'm 23) I've had 3 different turtles. Growing up I had a Russian tort and a red-eared slider. (As a young teen, I later gave them away) and I actually once owned a Sulcata tortoise. When I first started college (two years ago) my girlfriend at the time gifted me a great baby Sulcata tort.

Sadly, I later had to give that Sulcata tort away.

Being in college full-time and working, I wasn't prepared at all for the responsibility of the tort she gave me. After setting up the area I could care for him, it was less than ideal. Not enough humidity, the wrong light, clueless about food. Also, being young and so busy, I couldn't pay it enough attention. I kept it for less than two weeks. I was terrified of it growing up and having spikes on his shell, I was very worried about his nutrition. I later gave it back to the pet store he came from. Very sad. However, I was more concerned about his well-being and rather gave him up so that he could find a proper home later.

I LOVE sulcata tortoises. I love their look and their personality. I love the lifetime of the tort and how big it'll get over the years. When I had the sulcata tortoise I was very excited to one day build him a better living box and excited that one day he would get very very big.

So, now that I'm half-way through college, I'm thinking about investing and getting one for myself. My plan is to gather ALL materials, food, light, etc before even getting the tort. Making sure I have everything I need and that I'll be able to take care of it properly. I live in Houston, Tx so the weather is (almost) ideal... I think? I want to make sure I'll have everything ready and then finally, get the new tort. Anything else I should think of?

Anyways, I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michael:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I always cringe a little when college-age kids tell me they want to get a tortoise to take to college with them. As you are well aware, its a big job for a college student and one where the health and mental well-being of the tortoise may suffer. Too bad you had to give your sulcata up, I know it was a very hard decision, but, in my opinion, you made the correct choice.

There are some pretty good sticky threads at the top of the Sulcata section, and a couple of good articles under "general tortoise info" and then "articles."

Happy Reading!! and good luck in your search.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michael:

That refers to the sex of the animals.

1.2.3 would mean they have one male, two females and 3 that are too young yet to sex.

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in college too and have 2 sulcatas. Well it helps that I still live with my parents

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They all are great for raising a smooth, healthy, happy sulcata. Good luck with your search.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Be sure you are settled and have a large yard.. and consider rescuing one in need in stead of buying a baby. I have 6 torts, all rescues. 4 of them are sulcatas.

and WELCOME!

michael11208

5 Year Member
Houston
Laura said:
Be sure you are settled and have a large yard.. and consider rescuing one in need in stead of buying a baby. I have 6 torts, all rescues. 4 of them are sulcatas.

and WELCOME!

Where can I find a place to rescue a sulcata tort? How much does it usually cost? Are they in good conditions? I'd be interested in rescuing one instead of buying a baby....

Status
Not open for further replies.