I can't imagine life without her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Niki came into our lives as an 8 week old pup in 2001.
A Pit Bull, I was so unhappy with my son and his wife for getting
a PIT BULL, they were dangerous and what would happen when they started having children :(
However that sweet tiny pooch immediately stoled my heart and
became my 'granddog' I'd watch her when they would take a vacation,
when they went away for the week-end. I loved that dog.
When Niki was 4 yrs old they moved to the east coast and I
was suppose to watch her for three months and that three months started
7 yrs ago.:)
Last month while camping in the yard with my granddaughter I was woken
to something bashing against my back, turn to find Niki having a gran mal seizure. Of course we ran her to the vet who gave her a complete exam with blood work. Nothing showed in the blood work. She had another
after we got home and we ran her back to the vet. Then another the next morning. The vet put her on potassium bromide and other than those 3 seizures in 25 hours she hasn't had another. But she has developed 3 bumps in the last 2 months one before the seizures and 2 after. Both the vet and I are worried about doing a needle biopsy due to she is 11, had those seizures and the anesthesia , well she may not
wake up from it. She eats, walks, potty's and does ok, she is slower, sleeps a lot more but she doesn't seem to be in any pain.
I'm praying she will be ok for another year or two but
only as long as she is functioning fairly normally as she has been.
I don't meant to be selfish she has been a big part of my life
for 11 yrs and a very devoted companion and friend to not only myself
but my husband, my sons, my DIL's, and my grandchildren. I'm not ready for her to go yet. I can't imagine life without her.
She could be the poster pup for Pit Bulls everywhere, she thinks everyone she meets is her friend.

Thank you for letting me share this this evening.
My heart is quite heavy. I let her sleep in the bed of course, I
hold her and snuggle her and let her know how much she is loved.
I realize our time is coming to a close eventually.
I'm just not ready.....:(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
when the time comes, you will know. In the mean time, love her and keep her comfortable.
The lumps could probably have a needle biopsy done and she could be awake for that.. maybe.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I'm sorry you are going through this. It is so hard when they leave us. She is with a loving family. Your vet will know what her best options are at this point. In the meantime, keep your glass half full. They have great meds out there that will keep her comfortable throughout the rest of her time here with you.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
all my thought are with you in these difficult times

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear that... Pit Bulls are really good dogs... Keep up hope! I am always here to talk if you need!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't think we ever are truly "ready" to let the ones we love go. We want that "just one more day", but some where along the line we come to the point where our heart and our mind realize it is the right time to let them go, even as we know our own hearts will be breaking. Your love for Niki and Niki for you, will see you through. *hugs*

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
I'm so sorry for your pain. I sympathize with you. I had a 17yr old that was my baby too. Had to let her go all in one day about 5yrs ago. Shortly after my late husband passed (at 41 yrs old). She was Suzie. She had a massive stroke. I pulled the kids out of school and we were all at her side. I've since remarried and have another pit bull mix pound puppy (along with other animals). They are a great breed. She's so lucky to have you. I hope you know that. You know her and love her best. You'll know when the time is right and you won't let her suffer. If she was in pain, you'd know it. It's ok to keep her happy until she's not anymore. My heart goes out to you and I'll be thinking of you and Nikki. Please keep us updated. Now I feel she's a part of me too. Thank you for humbling me once again and sharing your story. We're not promised tomorrow. Sometimes I wish I could live like I knew that everyday. But your story has helped me today to realize, once again. Thinking of you and Nikki today. Love & comfort..

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the kind words and emotional support.
My son came and visited us from the east coast this past week-end and he and his wife got to see
and snuggle Niki, they hadn't seen her in 5 yrs. I'm glad they got to see her as they were the original owners.
If she stays as is we should be good to go for a while. She doesn't seem to exhibit any signs of pain, she just
seems tired a lot. I hope for another few months, a year. We'll see. She is an amazing dog.
And to think I let the media and ignorant people make me worried about her when my son and his wife
originally got her. Under the right raising, training, socialization and lifestyle Pits are AMAZING dogs:)
Niki knows her commands both verbal and sign, sit, down, stay, come, drop it, back, crawl, speak and a
separate command for growl and a few other commands. She's so smart and loving.

Status
Not open for further replies.