I dont think I should hibernate him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceilidh_Eliza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reading, UK
Hi,

I am a totally new tortoise owner and so far its been an experience! I have been doing a lot of research into hibernation recently and measured and weighed my tort using the Jacksons graph. I was shocked to see that he is half the weight he should be, and this is down to that fact that he is a VERY fussy eater. Although, he has recently started to eat and now usually eats all I give him.

All websites say that you should not hibernate an underweight tort and if I cant plump him up enough then I wont be. Any advice for NOT hibernating your tort? Do they know that winter is closing in and start slowing down? Should I carry on looking after him as I have been doing in regards to lighting, basking, feeding and watering?

Thanks All

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've been keeping tortoises for about 35 years and have never hibernated any of them...it's absolutely optional.

Some say they'll breed a bit better if you hibernate 'em, some say otherwise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yours is a youngster it looks like, so I would doubt if he even shows much of a thought even of slowing down. Just keep doing what your doing will most likely be fine. Let's just check a few basic things...You have the UV light on correct? For how many hours? What heat do you keep him at? Does he soak on his own or do you also give him a few?

Ceilidh_Eliza

5 Year Member
Reading, UK
He had a UV light that goes on around 8am and I turn it off around 7pm, as he is usually on bed by then! The basking lamp goes on slighlty after and I turn that off around 6pm. The basking area is kept at 30 degress celsuis and there is always water for him to drink/soak in. I do however soak him myself every other day.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Can you post a picture of your enclosure?

30C is a bit low for under the basking spot, it should be around 34C. A warm end temperature of 30C is just fine and cool end about 25C. Night time shouldn't fall below 20C.
Your lights should be on 12 to 14 hours a day to keep him up and active through the winter.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.