I feel sick to my stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
So glad to hear it! I've been watching this post all day! What a relief!

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
She's beautiful and I am so happy for both of you~ give her lots of 'geckoey' hugs and kisses!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad everything worked out well! I like her new name.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
She is really cool looking! glad she's ok. Would love to see more pictures. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yayyy!! Congrats on your new addition :D
Glad she made it safe and sound.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
There is more to this story now. I am so sad. She came to me skinny, and possibly gravid. If its not an egg, its an internal blockage.

Here are the pictures of her I took today.

Her hips, this one also shows the bulge we believe is an egg
hipbonestailandweight008.jpg

More bulge shots
Mdb--efixing006.jpg

Mdb--efixing003.jpg

Her poor skinny face
femalechewieishere03-09-10027.jpg

She weighs only 36g. I was told she was 43g at her lowest.

Because of all this, I have been agonizing over what to do all afternoon. I've been crying pretty much steadily since 3:30 when I weighed her. I sent the pictures to the seller and he gave me a full refund within 20 minutes. He feels terrible. He did not examine her before she went in the box. He told me he didn't intend to sell me a sick animal, and that he will pay for return shipping and the vet care she requires.

It hasn't helped with the guilt. Reid says its not my fault, and I know that. But I still feel like dirt right now.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a mess Meg. I feel so bad for you. Are you going to send her back now? She's so beautiful even with her problems.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Umm..."he didn't examine her before putting her in the box"...That is a very poor excuse. You don't have to examine her to see how skinny she is. That's good he refunded you..but still, how can you not notice something as serious as that? I'm sorry Meg. I hope you keep her and bring her back up to speed =]

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
He's asked for her back, and is going to get her the vet care (the expensive vet care) that she needs. He feels terrible about it. Said it would be unfair to burden me like that. It was a condition of the refund.

When I bought her this was the description I was given: I also have a "rescue" mainland chahoua female. I traded $800 worth of geckos for her and when I got her she was gravid and had kinks in her tail. I worked with her for quite some time and she is pretty much normal normal now with just a few small squiggles in her tail. I think with some TLC she could breed again later this year or next year. I don't have a pic of her but she would be $--- due to her imperfections. Talk to you soon!

I'll keep you all updated on this. Today was absolutely my worst day in months. No holds barred. I feel like dirt.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh now I'm confused. If he is the breeder and he sent her to you like that what happens when you send her back? Do you really think that he will take care of her because he didn't even think there was anything wrong with her when he sold her to you. Don't mean to confuse you anymore then you are, but is there anyway you could keep her? She'd probably be better off with you. I'm aware that I know nothing about these so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I know how passionate you are for these little guys and I'm questioning this guy and what he's up to. :(

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
What the heck. Why would he put such an underweight female gecko with a male? Or did he receive her like that too? Would she crash if she laid the egg?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She came gravid to him, and had a Ca crash after that. I've seen pictures of over 50 of his other individuals, and they are all flawless. He's had glowing reviews across the bored from the BOI, never a single complaint.

This was a fluke, and I know he probably noticed that she did not look right as he was packing, her but since I agreed to buy her "pet quality" didn't think I would even say anything. But she is much, much worse than described. We've been talking since January and not once were any of these problems mentioned. This was his last email to me, after he put the money back in my paypal, he sent it.

It is no problem at all about the refund. This is an unfortunate situation and I am sorry that your first experience with chahoua has not been perfect. However, if you wouldn't mind sending her back in the near future, I think that would be the best idea. Of course I would pay you for the shipping fees. I have a close friend who is a vet that could do any treatments she may need for free and I am positive he can find a good home for her afterward. I do not want you to incur any more additional costs on her as it is unfair to you. You are right in saying that the gecko is not in the condition we discussed when you purchased her and I would never feel right if you had to pay anything for the well being of that animal.

To be honest, I had to ship around 40+ geckos to be exported to Germany yesterday morning as well so my past week has been more focused on making sure those arrive safely since they have a long trip to go during this cold month. I know that every gecko deserves the same attention but with my limited time after work, I did not take a very close look at her before I sent her to you. If I had examined her more closely while packing her, I would have never shipped her to you. From the pictures you sent, it does appear to be an egg. The last time she was with a male was before she was sent to me mid-last year. Since then, she has been kept alone and I had no intention of breeding her. Please let me know when you can ship her back and I will give you a good deal on a different chahoua later this year. Talk to you soon.

It was a terrible ordeal for all involved. He feels just as badly as I do about it. He will give her the care she deserves.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'm wondering if he's just going to turn around and sell her to get some of his money back...

I can't believe he was advertising her as a breeder!! Or was the kinked tail not genetic, but the result of poor care or an accident of some kind???

Were you planning on breeding her?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No Chad, she wasn't going to be a breeder with me, and after this last health fiasco, she won't for anyone else either. If she cant pass that egg for me, when she is shipped back, it will be removed, and she will more than likely be steralized in the process so that it doesn't happen again.

Her tail kinks are from Calcium deficiency. Chahoua are known to over-calcify their eggs, and the levels of Ca needed to sustain them during the breeding season are very high. A Ca crash is not uncommon with a lack luster keeper. Derek got her this way, gravid and under calcified. As big as his opperation is, she never fully recouped.

I will probably have her for atleast a few weeks. If I can get her eating, and some extra Ca in her, I may just keep her, or rehome her myself. I do not like the idea of shipping sick animals.

But most of this boils down the egg, and whether or not she can lay it.

Her return was not a part of the original refund agreement, and I have the email to prove it. He emailed later on in the night, asking for her back to save me the trouble of vet bills, so it is entirely up to me now, whether she stays or goes back. I am handfeeding her later tonight, and loving her now just as I love my other animals.

Her name is Primrose.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
One question Meg,did you look at a picture of her before you ordered her?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Jackrat, that's a wee bit rude, don't you think? I wasn't born yesterday. The one on the first page of this thread was a recent photo of her. Notice that it does not show her body, or he tail at all. I took photos of her yesterday wherein she looked perfectly healthy. Its not a hard thing to do with any animal. This seller has nothing but glowing ratings with the BOI either.

Status
Not open for further replies.