Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
editedforprinting.jpg

My chahoua gecko, was shipped out of CA last night, supposed to arrive this morning BY 10:30. She's no doubt in the box with a heat pack, but those are supposed to last a maximum of 12 hours.

I was up until 4:10 AM refreshing that page for updates, and last I saw she was in Kentucky on schedule.

I got up at 8:00 AM and she was in Oak Creek, WI (3hrs away) and have been checking every 30 minutes to see if there were updates.

15 minutes ago I got an email telling me my delivery had been RESCHEDULED due to weather. Oak Creek is fogged in (an "act of god" that they were unprepared for)

The first woman I talked too, told me basically to **** off. And said ALL of their customers were waiting, and what was she supposed to do? She didn't seem to understand the words LIVE ANIMAL. She gave me a number to the facility she will be shipped to next.

I called them. THEY didn't want to deal with me either. Didn't understand that she CAN NOT sit in that box all day and still come out in good health, or even alive. I was close to tears in both of these conversations. They gave me the number to the UPS facility in my city.

I called them. REALLLY close to crying now. Told her about my package, and how it needed to be overnight, and here by 10:30, told her what was in the box (a verrrry expensive gecko) told her she NEEDED to get here today. And she sounded like she actually cared, which brought the tears even closer.

The fog was supposed to clear by 10, so the planes could fly out, but no dice. She took my number, address, package # and name, and is supposed to call be BY 12:30 with an update.

I'm terrified my little girl is going to be DOA. She's a special needs animal, and I the stress is already supposed to have kinked her tail.

I had a bad feeling all night yesterday. I didn't know why. Everyone chalked it up to being nervous because I have waited so long to get her.

I need alittle moral support. I hardly got any sleep, and I keep tearing up. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
125548qs93jxgwf5.gif

...hoping for a good outcome!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Oh Meg, I'm so sorry to hear that. If the planes cant make it, and its only 3 hours away, could you drive to the distribution center and pick her up?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No. I can't drive there. I called again and asked if she was in a heated area because its only 33F out there. They said that there was no way to know because there are 10000's of packages awaiting shipment and they can't pick through them all to find her.

A friend of mine just told me that a heat pack will keep her 10F warmer in an unheated area. She could very well be at 44F right now. Those temps will kill her.

I'm terrified. No one can tell me anything, and the planes are still grounded.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Meg90 said:
I'm terrified. No one can tell me anything, and the planes are still grounded.

can they tell you the flight number (call sign) of the aircraft that is scheduled to take your lil one?

if you know that, you can track the actual flight on www.flightaware.com

i use that to track flights all the time. there is about a 5 min delay on the radar feed.

also, you can track the weather, and airport status on www.liveatc.net, to hear what the air traffic controllers are saying.

what is the airport code of the airport? i can give you current weather, and see when a ground state will be lifted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Meg, I don't know that species of gecko, but I've seen lots of other very tropical geckos survive being chilled like that for days on end. I've had shipments of tropical reptiles and roaches get delayed in freezing conditions numerous times and they all arrived just fine. Keep your chin up, she'll probably be fine.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I have hope. I got a response from the seller, and he's got a 40hr heatpack in with her, and used an extra thick layer of styro to help keep her warm.

She's a Rhacodactylus Chahoua gecko. They are pretty rare in the pet trade, and hard to breed. They are not supposed to drop below 65F. Come from New Caledonia. She's the Mainland locale.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Meg90 said:
She's a Rhacodactylus Chahoua gecko. They are pretty rare in the pet trade, and hard to breed. They are not supposed to drop below 65F. Come from New Caledonia. She's the Mainland locale.

WOW. sounds more expensive than a Galapagos tort!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
LOL not quite. The going rate for an unsexed hatchling is 450$ (which doesn't include shipping)

She's on a plane now. I'm still anxious to open her box, but atleast she's in transit now. Thanks for the support ya'll. I needed it.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
In the early 80's,I dealt a lot of gheckos,probably over 1000.I've had them arrive so cold they could barely move or even appear dead.After a slow warm up period,a good 95% of them perked right back up.Don't try to do it too fast,just let him come up to room temprature,don't mess with him.Leave the enclosure relatively dark and minimize stress and stimulous.You'de be surprised what they can go through.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hope all ends up well. You have the added knowledge of a longer heat pak and more insulation. The fact that they usually hold the heat longer then advertised. Also you can hope that all those other packages are surrounding your box and keeping the gecko even more insulated.

It's always an added chance, when shipping this time of year, that such delays can turn into major disasters, that's why I won't risk shipping during the winter...even an animal that can take some added cold time.

I am amazed nobody took your problem too seriously. In the past when I have had delay issues, the box with the animal would be located and placed inside warm areas (usually the office). I even had a delivery guy from another route, go off route just to bring me my tortoise, rather then making it sit another day.

Keeping fingers crossed for your little guy.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Sending warm thoughts your way, Meg. When I lived in Alaska I got fogged in more times than I can remember, very stressful, so I can empathize with the situation. Luckily it sounds like she's on her way now, make sure you give us all an update when she arrives!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well just try and remember the happy ending for the redfoot that encountered the same problem a few weeks ago.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
*fingers crossed* I'm sure she'll be fine!
Keep us posted!!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We received a Chuckwalla with a 40 hour heat pack in a 7X7X7 inch insulated box. When we opened the box it was 65F inside, it was 33F outside when he arrived. They work very well. I hope you have her now!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She arrived, not really too much worse for wear, at 2:30 today. It was pretty stressful for both of us, I'm sure. Here's my new favorite picture. :) I'm thinking of calling her Primrose.

feeding.jpg

I hand fed her some warm crested gecko diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.