I had a scare today

Snow_mori

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I had a scare just now…
I live in SoCal and it’s been really cold lately so I’ve been keeping a close watch on the temperature in my sullie’s house.
Before getting ready for bed tonight, I would check my phone and the temperature was still plenty warm in there, but you know when you just have that feeling…
So I went out there again… sure enough… some how my guy managed to push through a crate full of bricks that was blocking his flap doors. so I grab my head light and walked back there… I see my baby boy curled up in the corner outside. (Of course this happens when my husband, my muscle, is out of town.) I get into a panic mode and I don’t know how, or if I could ever do it again, but some how managed to drag/push him back into his house. In all of the years I’ve had him, this is the second time he forcibly gotten out at night. Both times it was when I kept him inside for longer periods of time because it’s been so cold and rainy. He was probably cooped up wanting to roam around… Last time he broke out, I had a solid door which he ripped through the screws on the door. (Granted the screws were only about 1/2” long.) That’s why I switched to crate blocking the entry instead. How do you secure the door to avoid this from happening again? The ground on the entrance area is paved so I can’t put down 2 stakes and block it with a wood piece like a drop bar gate either. Also, do you still open the door for them during the day even if it’s cold dark and rainy out side?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
If screws aren't enough, run bolts through the wood with and secure with locknuts. At that point he has to rip the frame out to escape.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
I too live in southern Orange county CA (Yorba Linda to be exact). My question to you is, why not let him come and go as he wishes? I have flaps for the door on my Sal's house He comes out and eats and usually goes straight home when it's cool like it has been. If he comes out at all. His house is a constant 80deg F.

Snow_mori

5 Year Member
Southern California
I too live in southern Orange county CA (Yorba Linda to be exact). My question to you is, why not let him come and go as he wishes? I have flaps for the door on my Sal's house He comes out and eats and usually goes straight home when it's cool like it has been. If he comes out at all. His house is a constant 80deg F.
I do leave just the flap for him to roam around in most seasons, but in the winter time, it can sometime go down below 40 degrees at night.
Most of the time, he would know to go back inside. But on those rare occasions (just like the scare I just experienced), they can be roaming around outside, decide it is cold so he would curl up in a corner somewhere outside (not going back inside). If my tortoise who is used to 80 degree temp is left out even just for one night at below 40, I believe it could make him sick if not die. I have read in this forum of that exact tragedy happening to others.