I have no idea what I'm doing.

Should the fan heater be on or off?

• Total voters

Dena

Location (City and/or State)
New York
So yesterday I got a Russian Tortoise for my Birthday, was completely caught off-guard by it and have been freaking me the heck out about it. While my sister, who was the one who brought it, has done some research on taking care of tortoises it's not enough to answer all my questions.

So I've made this forum to ask you lot a lot of questions.

The first and most pressing being, should I leave Dr. Speedy's (the tortoise) fan-based heater on (the heat lamp my sister got didn't work so we had to make due with that we are going to replace it) or turn it off. The room they are in feels like room temperature (i.e. 20c, which most places seem to say is good for nighttime EDIT: The room feels a bit cooler now) but we don't have any way of checking (we are getting a thermometer soon).

What's more dangerous? It potentially being too cold or too warm? Last night it was left on but I thought they looked somewhat dried out (my sister didn't agree) and less active though I did, stupidly, not turn on the light until 10 in the mourning but the room he was in didn't have curtains so he did get some light before.

Oh, and if's it relevant, we soaked them both today and yesterday and they seem to be eating well.
I have a Russian Tortoise we got last year. His name is Sheldon. Do you have one or two tortoises? If you have 2, they need to be separated ASAP. They do not like having company, & one of them almost always dominates/bullies the other. We have a UV lamp we keep on for approx. 12 hours a day (approx. 7am-7pm). We also have two lights for him during the day, to help keep him active. They love to burrow, & have a hiding spot (preferably one on both sides of the tank), so make sure you have a good substrate, & places to hide. Feed him (them) a variety of greens, limit fruit (or avoid it). I hope this helps get you started.

KSeaman

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Good luck and welcome to the forum. I am new to the forum as well and ALL questions asked and answered will help future new members. It's really hard anytime a live pet is given as a "surprise" gift. I commend you for being so active in seeking good care for your new little charge and all those taking the time to answer all our questions.

Just an FYI - My grocery store sells organic dandelion leaves and collard greens some of the tortoises like them some don't but it could't hurt to try at least until the lawns weeds start growing again.