I have no idea what I'm doing.

Should the fan heater be on or off?

• Total voters

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Why are you telling me to slow down when the tortoise is at risk of dying?

Also I've mentioned when I got him, New Years Eve as a birthday present.

Dose anybody else agree that it would be better to leave him on paper then pine? Unless I'm mistaken @JoesMum says that it would be okay for a couple of weeks and I am fairly certain I would be sorted for sure by the end of this week at the latest.
I can see the argument for newspaper as a temporary measure. It would remove the sand hazard completely, but wouldn't improve the humidity.

Organise the replacement substrate now and your tortoise is unlikely to come to any serious harm in the interim.

Planck's Ambassador

England
I can see the argument for newspaper as a temporary measure. It would remove the sand hazard completely, but wouldn't improve the humidity.

Organise the replacement substrate now and your tortoise is unlikely to come to any serious harm in the interim.
Would putting the newspaper over the existing substrate be a good idea because I am not sure I will be able to get enough to make it deep enough?

Also how would they burrow in paper?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Would putting the newspaper over the existing substrate be a good idea because I am not sure I will be able to get enough to make it deep enough?

Also how would they burrow in paper?
I think the paper on top would cause more problems that it would fix. If you are going to use it then remove what you have entirely. Personally, I wouldn't bother if the new stuff will arrive shortly

Planck's Ambassador

England
I think the paper on top would cause more problems that it would fix. If you are going to use it then remove what you have entirely. Personally, I wouldn't bother if the new stuff will arrive shortly
It will arrive between two and five days, (someday between the 4th and 7th of January).

How many sheets of paper would be ideal?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It will arrive between two and five days, (someday between the 4th and 7th of January).

How many sheets of paper would be ideal?
Relatively thick so it absorbs pee. If you have it too thin, pee will just glue it to the floor and it isn't the most pleasant papier mache to remove :D

CALM Pythons

NY
Why are you telling me to slow down when the tortoise is at risk of dying?
Im saying slow down meaning think things through and make a plan. The care sheets are written in black and white to follow. Us going back and forth isnt going to help you. Almost anything is better than Pine Pellets right now. They are made to absorb moisture they will completely dehydrate that tortoise.
You can get a small amount of temporary substrate almost anywhere. Garden centers, Animal supply/farm supply stores etc... that is the biggest problem at this point..

Planck's Ambassador

England
Im saying slow down meaning think things through and make a plan. The care sheets are written in black and white to follow. Us going back and forth isnt going to help you. Almost anything is better than Pine Pellets right now. They are made to absorb moisture they will completely dehydrate that tortoise.
You can get a small amount of temporary substrate almost anywhere. Garden centers, Animal supply/farm supply stores etc... that is the biggest problem at this point..
The thing is, the only reason I know the pine pellets are very bad is because I've been going back and forth on this forum (when I first read the care sheet I thought they may be too dry but didn't think they would be life threatening and, besides, I assumed someone would comment on them if they were bad).

Going back and forth on the forum allowed me to discover a substitute for the pellets whilst new proper ones arrived.

Going back and forth on the forum informed me that I should give extra soaks to my tortoise because it was at risk of dehydrating.

Look, I'm not wasting my time here. At the very least it's making me less stressed about what to do.

CALM Pythons

NY
The thing is, the only reason I know the pine pellets are very bad is because I've been going back and forth on this forum (when I first read the care sheet I thought they may be too dry but didn't think they would be life threatening and, besides, I assumed someone would comment on them if they were bad).

Going back and forth on the forum allowed me to discover a substitute for the pellets whilst new proper ones arrived.

Going back and forth on the forum informed me that I should give extra soaks to my tortoise because it was at risk of dehydrating.

Look, I'm not wasting my time here. At the very least it's making me less stressed about what to do.

Understood.. my only point was that if you read the Care Sheet link you could’ve learned all of that without going back-and-forth period. Have a good day and i’ll be happy to see your little guy when he is all set up. Good luck. [emoji106][emoji2533]

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No. Just lay it flat.

And it can't be too thick :)
JoesMum, you have been very helpful and patient. I look forward to seeing the progress on this thread, and our new member well set and satisfied with the help and advice being given! Welcome to the site, Planck's Ambassador...keep us updated!:)

Planck's Ambassador

England
Understood.. my only point was that if you read the Care Sheet link you could’ve learned all of that without going back-and-forth period. Have a good day and i’ll be happy to see your little guy when he is all set up. Good luck.
emoji106.png
emoji2533.png
Eh, I learn better this way. Though I admit it would have been a lot less stressful for me and Dr. Speedy if had read the care-sheet before receiving him.

Anyways thank you and sorry if I came off as a bit rude. I'm just tired and stressed.

JoesMum, you have been very helpful and patient. I look forward to seeing the progress on this thread, and our new member well set and satisfied with the help and advice being given! Welcome to the site, Planck's Ambassador...keep us updated!:)
The help was much appreciated, thank you @T Smart , @TechnoCheese , @JoesMum and @CALM Pythons .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is this good food for Dr. Speedy?

Those pellet foods can be fed as part of your overall feeding regime.

Diet:
Russian tortoises need broadleaf weeds. You will need to learn about the weeds near you and which ones are okay to feed or not. Pics can be posted here on the forum in the "Plant ID" section, or you can take samples to a local nursery. Look for dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, and many more. If you are not 100% sure that your source is free of pesticides and other chemicals, don't feed anything from there.

You can grow your own food too. Here is one of my favorites: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix
I also get lots of seeds here: http://www.groworganic.com

If you must use grocery store foods I like to favor spring mix, endive and escarole heavily. Also add in carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.

It is a good idea to add a product called "Salad Style" to grocery store greens to add some fiber: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/
This is a new food topper and I like it a lot so far: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

You can also feed them grape, mulberry and hibiscus leaves, tender young spineless opuntia cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise chow and ZooMed Grassland tortoise food. Alternating and mixing up any of these foods will give your russian a good diet and meet its nutritional needs.

Planck's Ambassador

England
Those pellet foods can be fed as part of your overall feeding regime.

Diet:
Russian tortoises need broadleaf weeds. You will need to learn about the weeds near you and which ones are okay to feed or not. Pics can be posted here on the forum in the "Plant ID" section, or you can take samples to a local nursery. Look for dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, and many more. If you are not 100% sure that your source is free of pesticides and other chemicals, don't feed anything from there.

You can grow your own food too. Here is one of my favorites: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix
I also get lots of seeds here: http://www.groworganic.com

If you must use grocery store foods I like to favor spring mix, endive and escarole heavily. Also add in carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.

It is a good idea to add a product called "Salad Style" to grocery store greens to add some fiber: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/
This is a new food topper and I like it a lot so far: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

You can also feed them grape, mulberry and hibiscus leaves, tender young spineless opuntia cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise chow and ZooMed Grassland tortoise food. Alternating and mixing up any of these foods will give your russian a good diet and meet its nutritional needs.
Should I post food in general in the plant id section (like the salad below) or must it be unidentified wild plants?

Anything horrible in this? I have a feeling red peppers aren't a good idea.IMG_0200[1].JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Should I post food in general in the plant id section (like the salad below) or must it be unidentified wild plants?

Anything horrible in this? I have a feeling red peppers aren't a good idea.View attachment 261273

For plants and vegetables that you know the name, check here - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

For some unidentified whacky weed that is growing in your lawn or garden, you can take a pix and get help with the ID. You prob should concentrate on plants/vegg you know.

Last edited: