I Need You Guys Help With Something

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Okay, so my family and I have been rescuing animals since I were in diapers; it's naturally in my blood.

Of course, turtles, birds, and reptiles, but dogs as well. Recently we took in a little pitbull. He was emaciated and at a Greenway run trail for about 2 weeks.

We fed him, but my sister couldn't stand to leave him due to the record breaking heat. He has cuts and scares on him, either from brawls with other strays, or he was potentially used for dog fights and abandoned, not sure.

We brought him home, but he is very reactive to the other dogs and dogs only. I believe through rehabilitation he would make a great family dog as he is very sweet.

Shelters told us due to capacity he would likely be euthanized, so I've been reaching out to smaller foster homes. A few leads.

One woman straight up told me to give him one last meal and just put him down.

I refuse and believe in second chances. He's fine with people, great in the house, just needs rehabilitation as he had it rough.

Does anyone know of rescues who could help, and even potentially travel to get him?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724-180513_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724-180513_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Resized_Resized_20230719_160412.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20230719_160412.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_Resized_20230719_160421(1).jpg
    Resized_Resized_20230719_160421(1).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230720_165744.jpg
    20230720_165744.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230723_184709.jpg
    20230723_184709.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230723_184709.jpg
    20230723_184709.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230723_184704.jpg
    20230723_184704.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hire a trainer that does protection dog work. Protection dog trainers understand dog aggression, how to work with it, and what to do about it. If you didn't live on the other side of the country, I'd work with you for free.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hire a trainer that does protection dog work. Protection dog trainers understand dog aggression, how to work with it, and what to do about it. If you didn't live on the other side of the country, I'd work with you for free.
Appreciate it. know a guy that trains police dogs/protection dogs, but the dog came in our life at the wrong time, our cane corso tore his other ccl a few weeks ago, so back to surgery😂. But I found a few leads today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Appreciate it. know a guy that trains police dogs/protection dogs, but the dog came in our life at the wrong time, our cane corso tore his other ccl a few weeks ago, so back to surgery😂. But I found a few leads today.
I wish you good luck. This sort of case was my specialty when I was doing a lot of private party training. I was the guy that people would call when three other trainers and two vets told them to put the dog down. People would call me crying, telling me they didn't want to kill their dog. Several vets had my number and would send clients to me for these cases. Dog aggression is easy to fix. Just train an incompatible behavior. Like a down/stay. The dog can't physically go attack another dog if its in a down stay. Correct it for breaking the stay, and who cares if it likes other dogs or not. Most people go about this the wrong way. You'll never make some dogs like other dogs, but you can damn sure make them behave and do what you said to do. People aggression can be tougher sometimes, depending on who is holding the leash.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I wish you good luck. This sort of case was my specialty when I was doing a lot of private party training. I was the guy that people would call when three other trainers and two vets told them to put the dog down. People would call me crying, telling me they didn't want to kill their dog. Several vets had my number and would send clients to me for these cases. Dog aggression is easy to fix. Just train an incompatible behavior. Like a down/stay. The dog can't physically go attack another dog if its in a down stay. Correct it for breaking the stay, and who cares if it likes other dogs or not. Most people go about this the wrong way. You'll never make some dogs like other dogs, but you can damn sure make them behave and do what you said to do. People aggression can be tougher sometimes, depending on who is holding the leash.
Appreciate your kind of work. People fail to realize dogs, and animals in general are individuals as ourselves. My German shepherd only gets along with our smaller dog alone,is territorial, and isn't very fond of people. He obeys my command "Stay close" when we are at parks etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Asher house is not close but the guy does travel distances to save a dog. If you haven't heard of him, he rescues and rehomes when possible. Not sure he can take on a dog aggressive dog, as he has a big pack that lives together but he might try.
There is also the Pit rescue in New Orleans that will make a drive. Also there are Pit rescues all over, Google them and I'm sure one could possibly help
I wish people would understand, specially with a Pit, that it was a human or humans that made the dog aggressive! Not the dogs fault.
Wish I could help, but those two places is all I know.
Good luck. I hope you can keep him until a home or proper rescue is found.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Asher house is not close but the guy does travel distances to save a dog. If you haven't heard of him, he rescues and rehomes when possible. Not sure he can take on a dog aggressive dog, as he has a big pack that lives together but he might try.
There is also the Pit rescue in New Orleans that will make a drive. Also there are Pit rescues all over, Google them and I'm sure one could possibly help
I wish people would understand, specially with a Pit, that it was a human or humans that made the dog aggressive! Not the dogs fault.
Thanks! A lady reached out to me and said she'd be willing to foster him.

Thing is, she has 7 kids and three dogs. He's a little defensive with other dogs and trembles, fair to him, but I have no idea how he is around kids. So I told her they could pay him a visit.

I'll definitely give him a shot if all else fails. Maybe even meet them half way. Thank you! Bug help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish people would understand, specially with a Pit, that it was a human or humans that made the dog aggressive!
This is not true. It is in their nature to be dog aggressive. Its what they were bred for. All of the molosser breeds too. Gladiators. It can and should be tempered with training, but these dogs don't behave this way because of something someone did or didn't do.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I personally would not recommend Asher House, just FYI

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Appreciate your kind of work. People fail to realize dogs, and animals in general are individuals as ourselves. My German shepherd only gets along with our smaller dog alone,is territorial, and isn't very fond of people. He obeys my command "Stay close" when we are at parks etc.
Just more discussion on the topic... Not directed at anyone specifically, just more info that might offer insight. Conversation, if you will.

Have you ever heard the phrase: "Dogs just want to please."? Its utter nonsense. Dogs just want to do whatever they want to do, either because of instinct or learned preferences. If that phrase were true, the world would not need any dog trainers. Maybe it would be more accurate if we included "themselves" as the last word in that famous phrase.

A much more accurate, and helpful, phrase is: "Dogs will do what you let them do." This applies to everything from peeing in the house for a new puppy to full on dog aggression. Barking, jumping on people, running away, chewing on shoes or furniture, etc... I don't let my dogs do things I don't want them to do. HOW to prevent these things is where the talent, or absence of talent, comes in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is not true. It is in their nature to be dog aggressive. Its what they were bred for. All of the molosser breeds too. Gladiators. It can and should be tempered with training, but these dogs don't behave this way because of something someone did or didn't do.
Totally disagree with you and you are so wrong! I know many Pits. They live with other dogs, play at dog parks, dog beaches, etc, etc. I know a lot about dogs too! They were bred for the power and jaw bite, but their aggression towards dogs is trained and taught into them! Absolutely, not bred in them!

EricW

Houston, TX
The dog was not properly socialized. Here is my long spiel that is probably too many tangents and what not, but I felt passionate to put it out there. Probably too much for many to read and I am sure it will come with some rebut.

I have gotten those dogs that have been to 3 trainers and 2 vets and were told to be put down. I have had those aggressive dogs that were trained to behave and people work around the issue with training. This method accommodates the issue and the dog, but doesn't solve the issue and is a recipe for disaster as well. I've seen it. I've seen the food aggressive dog that was trained to sit when the food bowl was laid down, then people leave the room while the dog goes to eat, still ended up biting an 8 year old in the face over food. The dog aggressive dog taught to lay down when dogs around, still end up in a dog fight, and a human bitten trying to break it up. I have also "fixed" these dogs. Training is a tool to aid, but the behavior needs to be corrected and is possible. It also takes the right person to pair the dog with to make sure the dog does not regress. I have "fixed" these dogs, but had to tell some owners they needed to part ways with the dog and pair them with a new home that will work better.

Dog training and dog behavior is never a one and done, it is a life long commitment if you want to keep them at the desired level. That is why paring a dog with an "issue" with the right person is imperative. And lifelong commitment requirements vary depending on the desire. My house dog, a Russel Terrier, training and behavior upkeep at his 10 years of age is minimal. I also expect less, a few basic commands, people and dog friendly, and I keep him up to speed on hunting rats, mice, and he can "hunt up" any one of my tortoises if I ever needed him to. We have to practice every few months to keep his game, but if a tortoise ever escaped, he is able to track it down for me. I am sure this will raise a few eyebrows worried he will attack my tortoises, but it is a choice I made and I have the abilities to do it safely and understand what I am doing. Likewise, when my hunting retrievers were working the fields both waterfowl and upland hunting, and competing in Field Trials and Hunt Test, the level of training was nearly daily. My last hunting retriever passed away last year at 17 years old, I hope to pick back up in retrievers later in life, but it is too hard now with career and kids for that level of commitment. Thus, I do not plan to have any retrievers anytime soon.

Dog breeds have varying levels of characteristics/behaviors inherent to their breed. These need to be understood in order to properly raise them, train them, and "handle" them. Something most people do not consider when getting a dog, they typically get dogs based on a number of other criteria that have no business being involved in the decision. Rarely does someone take into account the breeds characteristics and pair them up with their own lifestyle, abilities, characteristics, etc. This is where mutts can be troublesome as well. Even though people look at them and say they are a pit/lab mix, they really do not know. I have seen mutt liters that are a Heinz 57, they all looked different and one even had a razorback. Then, there are mutts of mutts, multiple fathers for a liter, etc., so who knows. Therefore, you do not know the "breed" characteristic makeup of that dog. The average Joe may be setting themselves up for failure and the dog passes from rescue to rescue because of issues. The breed characteristics is where I like pure breed because although not 100%, you have a perspective of what the general breed characteristics are and can be prepared for it.

I do not have the experience of many, but I have experience. I have trained dogs and I have rehabilitated dogs on a professional level; basic obedience, hunt test, field trials, dog aggression, food aggression, various "fears", snake avoidance, etc. Dog training and dog rehabilitation are two different things in my opinion, the issue is finding a person that can do rehabilitation in this situation, along with training. I knew a dog behaviorist and in her area, the top client breed was Australian Shepard's. They were both dog and human aggressive, a smart breed with lots of energy that are determined to do what they want to do (as Tom mentioned) and will lead to aggression if a person doesn't understand how to deal with it and to stimulate the dog correctly. Much like pits, an Aussie is a dog people get for the wrong reasons and do not realize how to handle and properly socialize it. Many end up euthanized due to human error.

I have a different perspective and it may not align with others, but personally, I think you need to find a dog behaviorist. The issue, in my opinion again, good luck finding one and a good one. I am not the most experienced in pits, I have worked with several other breeds. My concern with pits is the lifelong liability of a once aggressive dog. I am not singling them out, this would go for several other breeds such as Tom mentioned. I believe in working with dogs, a second chance, but I am not apposed to euthanizing either. To me, it is either find the right person who can fix it, or ensure the possible liability does not become reality. The rescues have seen enough issues and liabilities with pits and are busy enough that their response is not with malice or without heart. It comes from their experience. I would sure hate to rehome a dog that later I find out it seriously hurt or killed another persons dog, or worse, attacked a human. My wife nearly lost her leg to a dog attack when she was a young girl, she has a whole chunk of her leg missing still today from it. It is a lifelong scar that everyone can see. Also, things like dog aggression can be a huge drain on resources when those resources can be spent on 2, 3, 4, or more dogs. That is the the challenge that many organizations struggle with. I wouldn't be too hard on those organizations or people. An estimated $1.13 billion was paid out by insurance companies as a result of dog bite incidents during the course of 2022, with the average claim at $64,555, according to a few sources such as Forbes and Insurance Information Institute. There is around 5 million dog bites a year.

Sometimes the seemingly inhumane option is the humane one. I am not there to evaluate this dog, so I am speaking in general terms. However, sometimes keeping a dog alive hurts the dog more. They may not live fulfilling lives and if a dog is not there mentally, more destructive behavior will occur. The aggression can progress until the dog spends it's life kenneled most of the time, or worse, euthanized after it has maimed a dog or human. I have seen those scenarios as well and in my experience, if the dog does not find the appropriate level of training and behavior modification, it will get worse.

I took on two lab dogs once that spent 4 years in a 10'x5' kennel run inside a large metal garage. They were born in that kennel run and never left it. Didn't even get their vaccinations. I paid $200 to buy them out of jail. It took me 2 years, but I made them into duck/goose hunting dogs and sold them to two hunting guides for a measly $1k each. When I got those dogs, they didn't know how to act around other dogs, were afraid to walk on grass, wouldn't walk through doorways, didn't even know how to walk past their kennel run, I had to carry them out when I got them. This story turned out well, but many do not. And I know, everyone thinks labs aren't aggressive, but they account for quite a few bites and in some states, have led in the breed with the most dog bites. I have dealt with aggressive labs.

So to wrap up, my opinion is try to find a really good dog behaviorist (pricey) and stick with the dog until there are results and you are confident in those results. Then continue with it until you find the right place for it. If you can't do that, consider the liability you may transfer somewhere else and weight those consequences out.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've bred a lot of dogs , i was raised by a dog fighter , i've known most well known pit guys and their dogs , we've had their dogs ..... i've raised bordeaux dogues for over 30yrs , the level of dog aggression is without a question genetic ........ pits bred for game , a dog aggressive bordeaux makes a dog aggressive pit look like snoopy , that's firsthand experience with bordeauxs and "gamedogs", not "petbulls" ...... environment is a huge deal , but the genetic component is right out front obvious .........

i doubt that dog was a fighting dog , or used in dog fighting ......... your use of the word defensive can be not good, defensive can be genetic .......pitbulls do sometimes have a defensive/mistrusting genetic trait,i've known plenty of folks seemed to like it as far "guard" dogs , because they are dangerous ,they perpetuated it , and it does beget itself ....... some of the old time fighting dogs had it and they were good dogs , so they were bred in spite of it ..... before i'd place that dog i'd want to be certain that defensive nature is environmental toward dogs, and just pertains to dogs....... genetically "sharp" "defensive" dogs are dangerous and need qualified ownership, kids are not something should be in a home with a defensive dog ........ if it's environmental it can be overcome pretty easily ...... if it's genetic , it's forever , managed is the best it'll get ....i use side by side runs , to desensitize the dogs , might initially need an empty run on either side ....

"protection dog trainers" , everybody is a protection dog trainer , be careful putting a lot of trust into that accolade...... hopefully you find him a qualified forever home , what people do to dogs is shameful ..... pitbulls got a bad rep, they don't need any help getting a worse one .......

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
i've bred a lot of dogs , i was raised by a dog fighter , i've known most well known pit guys and their dogs , we've had their dogs ..... i've raised bordeaux dogues for over 30yrs , the level of dog aggression is without a question genetic ........ pits bred for game , a dog aggressive bordeaux makes a dog aggressive pit look like snoopy , that's firsthand experience with bordeauxs and "gamedogs", not "petbulls" ...... environment is a huge deal , but the genetic component is right out front obvious .........

i doubt that dog was a fighting dog , or used in dog fighting ......... your use of the word defensive can be not good, defensive can be genetic .......pitbulls do sometimes have a defensive/mistrusting genetic trait,i've known plenty of folks seemed to like it as far "guard" dogs , because they are dangerous ,they perpetuated it , and it does beget itself ....... some of the old time fighting dogs had it and they were good dogs , so they were bred in spite of it ..... before i'd place that dog i'd want to be certain that defensive nature is environmental toward dogs, and just pertains to dogs....... genetically "sharp" "defensive" dogs are dangerous and need qualified ownership, kids are not something should be in a home with a defensive dog ........ if it's environmental it can be overcome pretty easily ...... if it's genetic , it's forever , managed is the best it'll get ....i use side by side runs , to desensitize the dogs , might initially need an empty run on either side ....

"protection dog trainers" , everybody is a protection dog trainer , be careful putting a lot of trust into that accolade...... hopefully you find him a qualified forever home , what people do to dogs is shameful ..... pitbulls got a bad rep, they don't need any help getting a worse one .......
Thanks

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my runs were indoor outdoor, their beds would be on opposite sides of the indoor pens , with plywood about as tall as they were, blocking their view...... i'd get them to where their beds were against each others on either side of the fence without any sight barrier ..... i've gotten every single one i ever had a problem with to where when i was home they could be loose together ...... none of them were ever defensive aggressive , it wasn't a trait my dogs ever had ........ bless you for caring about this guy , really defines you as a person..........imo

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Totally disagree with you and you are so wrong! I know many Pits. They live with other dogs, play at dog parks, dog beaches, etc, etc. I know a lot about dogs too! They were bred for the power and jaw bite, but their aggression towards dogs is trained and taught into them! Absolutely, not bred in them!
And do you think I don't know lots of pits? Its one of the main breeds I work with. Remember "No Country for Old Men"?

They were not bred for "power" or "jaw bite". Their bite strength is significantly less than dog breeds that have been bred for centuries to do bite work like malinois and, German and Dutch Shepards. Put on a sleeve or suit and take a few bites from each. This fact will be obvious immediately. They were bred for centuries to fight in the pit. That is what they are for. They were bred to be tenacious, have stamina, ignore pain, and never give up. They were bred to fight. If you don't understand this then you don't know the breed's history. Because you and I both know some nice ones that have been well socialized and well trained, does not change their history or what their purpose was. They are one of my favorite breeds. I work with them daily. I've been searching for the right pup for years, but to say that pit bulls were not bred to fight other pit bulls is absurd. It is absolutely bred in to them, but not every thoroughbred makes it to the race track. Doesn't mean its not a nice horse, and doesn't mean it wasn't bred to be a race horse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wrong! They were not originally bred to dog fight. They were used for bull and bear fighting/baiting. Then to kill rats in a pit. Later because humans are arses, they were used for dog fighting.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Bull terrier, was originally bred for dog fighting. Which really is funny, cuz they are just family loving clowns. However, many are not fond of other dogs, unless early socializing.
Mine was socialized properly and loved people, dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, never chased or tried to hurt anything.
Aggressive dogs is on the owners, sometimes the breeder.