I Need You Guys Help With Something

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i'll give credit where credit is due tom , traditional breeds used in protection are used for a reason , their bite strength isn't it .... mal, dutch or german shepherds cannot bite like a pitbull .......it's one of the reasons they've put pitbull in those knpv shepherds, many times, which undoubtedly ended up in some mals ...... it's the reason all those trainers that title non-traditional bandogs, AB's, pitbulls, mastiffs for fr ,sch, ipo, mr, knpv wanted to do what they did, because of those dogs impressive bite force ....... those dogs are harder to title, and more likely to fail..... they're not going to fail because of their bite , they'll fail because of their drive, because of their trainability and willingness to bite, and willingness to let go ........ some of them protection bandog breeders have obviously put mal in them , like them manson dogs or donovans dogs , definitely not for their bite , but for their drives, trainability and willingness to bite .......i could name drop a couple dozen protection dog trainers/breeders of bandogs/AB's/pits none of them would agree with you on mals biting harder than pits/ab's/bandogs................ not a chance is there a mal in the world that matches the bite of those gamedog crosses or the gamedogs they were crossed with........ if mals/ds/german had had anything of merit to add to the gamedogs , they'd have been added , and a harder bite would be a huge addition ..... pits didn't get them heads by accident , and they weren't selected for them, they were selected for one attribute , and it wasn't their heads, , that was just a by-product of selecting dogs that win, surviving had a lot to do with bite force in them dogs , protection training bite force has absolutely nothing to do with them surviving........... you know any hog/dog hunters ???? they're not using mals as catchdogs ......

bite strength seems follows dog size, head size and muzzle length........ testing it is questionable at best , they do have a sleeve for it , numbers from using those sleeves have shown mals are at the low end of the spectrum of dog bite force .......

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I admire everyone's passion.....and the respect you show those that you don't agree with. After a night of rough & tumble politics, it's nice.

I hope you are as gentle cause I don't agree with any of you! LOL
Freedom from fear will make you wonder why someone would ever choose to have a pet that could hurt people. If they are afraid of something, they can move. I know those animals exist but not in my world, my choice. I did a couple of exotics when it was easy back in the day and like your big dogs, they can be a bit sketchy but when raising a family, that was a place for our golden retriever.

Just from a Dad's perspective.....when a 60+lb dog knocks your kid off it's feet, it won't matter what kind of dog it is biting him. They are all the same size when the prey is down.

When I got our purebred Siberian, YES I bit his ear.... 3 yrs before Cuba Gooding did it in a movie.....and yes it worked, That dog was my bi**h from that day forward........never listened to anyone else at all<LOL> but he jumped when I gave him commands. A magnificent animal.....smart, bold, beautiful, defiant, self-centered, independent......lol....a good dog.

My biggest fear a few years ago was that I was going to have to figure out how to live with Kerry's two little white dogs......"puntable" dogs, yuck....thankfully a contractor took both and they have a great home now...whew!

Hey, DD, did you find a home for him yet?? We got sidetracked

Kr1st1n

Tucson, Arizona
Just more discussion on the topic... Not directed at anyone specifically, just more info that might offer insight. Conversation, if you will.

Have you ever heard the phrase: "Dogs just want to please."? Its utter nonsense. Dogs just want to do whatever they want to do, either because of instinct or learned preferences. If that phrase were true, the world would not need any dog trainers. Maybe it would be more accurate if we included "themselves" as the last word in that famous phrase.

A much more accurate, and helpful, phrase is: "Dogs will do what you let them do." This applies to everything from peeing in the house for a new puppy to full on dog aggression. Barking, jumping on people, running away, chewing on shoes or furniture, etc... I don't let my dogs do things I don't want them to do. HOW to prevent these things is where the talent, or absence of talent, comes in.
I always tell people, “You get what you pet”! 😊😉