I think my tort is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Omg I'm so sorry :(

You gave him a brilliant chance at life and done everything you could, please don't blame yourself!!!
Did they diagnose the problem if you don't mind me asking?
Maybe it just wasn't meant to be :( RIP mike you little angel!
Post your fave pic of your little baby and let us see his beautiful face one last time
Xxxx

karleyreed

5 Year Member
laney said:
Omg I'm so sorry :(

You gave him a brilliant chance at life and done everything you could, please don't blame yourself!!!
Did they diagnose the problem if you don't mind me asking?
Maybe it just wasn't meant to be :( RIP mike you little angel!
Post your fave pic of your little baby and let us see his beautiful face one last time
Xxxx

He said he couldn't tell the problem, he didn't think mikes shell was unusually squidgy for his age, looked in his mouth for uncles etc, couldn't find any, said it was unlikely that he was hibernating, as he had been eating yesterday, done a few tests, couldn't hear mikes heart beating, his eyes were closed and had a film over them, he pricked his foot with a needle to see if there was any reaction and there wasn't. He said we could send off for a post mortim but they still might not be able to diagnose what the cause was. He scanned mike to check if he was Defo microchipped, and he was, he said it could have been an infection from that, just said babies are really hard to raise and it's not uncommon for them to pass. Was a different vet I wet to the first time. I'm gutted :'( I loved him more than anything. Going to bury him in the garden.

7AEC523D-35A2-4F25-B991-E464DFAA3832-585-0000004E46E2D49C_zps3a95b4d4.jpg

7549934E-6610-416C-B585-B6BBB1A4EB95-171-0000000EE750B2AF_zps6d2952ea.jpg

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
karleyreed said:
He said he couldn't tell the problem, he didn't think mikes shell was unusually squidgy for his age, looked in his mouth for uncles etc, couldn't find any, said it was unlikely that he was hibernating, as he had been eating yesterday, done a few tests, couldn't hear mikes heart beating, his eyes were closed and had a film over them, he pricked his foot with a needle to see if there was any reaction and there wasn't. He said we could send off for a post mortim but they still might not be able to diagnose what the cause was. He scanned mike to check if he was Defo microchipped, and he was, he said it could have been an infection from that, just said babies are really hard to raise and it's not uncommon for them to pass. Was a different vet I wet to the first time. I'm gutted :'( I loved him more than anything. Going to bury him in the garden.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have been reading all your posts and I was praying for Mike and you. I am so so very sorry. I cant even imagine what u are going thru. You are a wonderful person for doing everything you could for him. you are in my thoughts. Please hang in there!

testtudude

5 Year Member
Karley

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much a person can love a little tort. I also lost the first baby tort I owned after 3 months of giving him everything I could. You will feel better in time. Just know that baby tortoises are very fragile creatures and may pass unexpected, even with the best of care. It took me almost a year to be able to recover but I have since bought two Russian torts that always warm my heart. RIP little Mike

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss. I know you loved Mikey and you did everything you could. He was blessed to have someone love him so much.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
karleyreed said:

Aww I'm absolutely gutted for you.
You gave him a good life and he loved his momma x

ulkal

5 Year Member
I am so sorry and sad about your loss. You did everything you could.
All the best.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Thankyou all
For the kind regard. Mike will be a huge miss to our family unit. Everyone loved him more than anything. Defo gna take a while to get over him. But I do eventually wanna get another tort. Until then, I will research and research and more research. No1 or no Tort will ever replace mike. RIP my little angel :'(

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
karleyreed said:
Thankyou all
For the kind regard. Mike will be a huge miss to our family unit. Everyone loved him more than anything. Defo gna take a while to get over him. But I do eventually wanna get another tort. Until then, I will research and research and more research. No1 or no Tort will ever replace mike. RIP my little angel :'(

I think you getting a new tort in the future is a great idea. You really did do a great job. Baby torts as you can see from some of the replies you've gotten are just SO fragile. I got my Sheldon as a juvenile because I saw how fragile babies are. My thoughts and prayers are with you <3

karleyreed

5 Year Member
How old are juivaniles?? The vet said mike was really small, and he didn't think he had been raised correctly from him hatching, which was no fault of my own as I got him when he was 1year old. Or so I was made told. I can't help but blame myself though :( it really is heart reaching.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You can not blame yourself!! You did not have him when he was born. You did everything you could to help him.You cant think any of this was your fault!!!Like I said before, I think you are a great person for doing allthat you did for him. I know its hard but hang in there. You have a lot of people on this forum that are thinking of you and we all know you did everything you could.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Karley, I feel so bad for you. Did you pick him up last night and hold him close to you like I suggested? I k ow Mikey was asleep, and so I'm wondering if you had a chance to hold him close to you? I ask only because you at least would have spent the last hours of his life close to each other. The love was there anyway, but I think you would have liked that. I will continue thinking about you and your baby for a long while as I always do for other members who have lost their babies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Like everyone else, I am just really sorry for your loss. RIP Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.