I think my tort is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
A tube UVB I have a basking light to put in there just waiting for
My dad to
Install it
For extra light and heat, with a 100w bulb. And very true! Haha. We never have a hot day!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
If your vet is suggesting he can sex a young tortoise, I would suggest it's time for a new vet. I hope it pulls through for you!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, you just got the UVb bulb in November. What were you using before that? If your vet said that he thinks it calcium deficiency, does he also think that there may be MBD setting in? Did he x-rays Mike?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I only got mike then too. So I've always used a UVB ever since he has been in my care. The vet mentioned nothing about MBD and said that it hasn't done too much damage at this stage. They said they couldn't give mike a calcium injection as he is too small and it would kill him. He is only 15 months, about 1/1.5 inches long, western hermanns species. I myself
Was under the impression that young torts do feel slightly squidgy, but I guess I was wrong. And no they didn't X-ray him.

I did see a post on here where some ones tort was acting the same as mike and it had kidney stones. I'm hoping he doesn't have these!! The vet did shine a light under mikes shell and over the top and no light showed through which he said was good. I wish he was a little bigger so they could have done something :(

I bought an exo terra basking light, as advised by a member. I have a vivarium, not an open top enclosure, will this be safe to go inside the viv?

D9323618-B5D3-415A-9F15-609E0FB0AE54-2163-00000252CA42221E_zps9aba048c.jpg
is this the correct bulb to be using? As it doesn't state anything about UVB?! Starting to get really angry with myself now :(

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Turns out I can't use the clamp lamp I was told to buy, as I have a viv, not an open top enclosure.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Sounds a frustrating day for you, you seem determined to get it right though,

karleyreed

5 Year Member
jamiescorer said:
Sounds a frustrating day for you, you seem determined to get it right though,

Very frustrating!!! And very determined. I'm not letting him fail without a fight.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Sounds like he's in good hands you've listened to all the advice, took him to the vets, probably spent a small fortune, your giving him every chance, sounds like good tortoise keeping to me, good luck.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I know you have a tube UVB but what brand is it? The reptisun brand degrade rapidly and should be replaced every 5-6 months. But the Arcadia brand bulbs last longer and only need to be replaced once a year. Zilla brand bulbs are known For causing eye problems and other serious medical ailments in anoles and I wouldn't advise using them at all on a tort. I know there are other brands but these are the only ones I know of.
For basking bulbs I don't use the petstore brands instead I use low wattage outdoor halogen flood bulbs. Not only are the bulbs themselves cheaper but they of out more heat at a lower wattage so it saves electricity. And they seem to las longer.
Do you have a pic of your set up? We might be able to help with mounting lights if we can see what you have to work with.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
karleyreed said:
Turns out I can't use the clamp lamp I was told to buy, as I have a viv, not an open top enclosure.

Do you have any space to attach something onto your viv and remove a piece of glass so he has an open top extension?
That's what I did and he now has CHE and UVB inside viv part and basking bulb on open extension. I don't think the bulb is going to fix whats wrong with him but it might make him a bit happier?
This was my emergency extension when I thought Yoshi was missing the basking lamp, it's a XL cheap dog bed with a ramp...
23320f9411eee3fa2b29304d47ba0289_zps6b421c98.jpg

Then when I had more time I changed to this...
58e245203af447a53e34724e3555a1e1_zps1143ce90.jpg

I too was told that young torts shells have a little movement, I guess it depends how much?!
How is he acting now?????
He will make it you are a good momma!! :)

mytortET

5 Year Member
I sympathize with you.... I have a sick sully that I've been stressing about since Tuesday! Took him to the vet and trying everything to nurse him back to health! :( Can't wait for the weather to get better.

Hope your tort feels better soon!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The reason why I asked about the x-rays is because with that a vet can see if the boney structure is solidifying. If not, there's some indication that MBD has set in and calcium along with UVB (either artificial or real sunlight) is vital. What you can do to get this to him, if weather is not warm enough, is to make perfectly sure that your bulb states UVB on the box it came in. The basking light you got him is fine for warmth, but what you need for nights when all lights go out is a CHE near his hide. You see, what I think is the problem with your baby is warmth and lighting. Fix those things, and the warm soaks should help immensely. I hope for both of you that he gets better quick.

karleyreed said:
I only got mike then too. So I've always used a UVB ever since he has been in my care. The vet mentioned nothing about MBD and said that it hasn't done too much damage at this stage. They said they couldn't give mike a calcium injection as he is too small and it would kill him. He is only 15 months, about 1/1.5 inches long, western hermanns species. I myself
Was under the impression that young torts do feel slightly squidgy, but I guess I was wrong. And no they didn't X-ray him.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
laney said:
karleyreed said:

Do you have any space to attach something onto your viv and remove a piece of glass so he has an open top extension?
That's what I did and he now has CHE and UVB inside viv part and basking bulb on open extension. I don't think the bulb is going to fix whats wrong with him but it might make him a bit happier?
This was my emergency extension when I thought Yoshi was missing the basking lamp, it's a XL cheap dog bed with a ramp...
23320f9411eee3fa2b29304d47ba0289_zps6b421c98.jpg

Then when I had more time I changed to this...
58e245203af447a53e34724e3555a1e1_zps1143ce90.jpg

I too was told that young torts shells have a little movement, I guess it depends how much?!
How is he acting now?????
He will make it you are a good momma!! :)
[/quo

You are a good momma doing everything you can. Mikey is a lucky little tort. Keep us posted.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Laney, how did you make that open top extension? That seems like a really good idea!! And sibi, the light I have states on the actual light that it is UVB and UVA I'm thinking about getting another one and puttin it underneath the one I already have, just incase, I have a
CHE it stays on all day and night I just turn it down on a night, but that's all I have for a heat source. I have been giving him a warm soak everyday. Let's just hope things get better and it's just the weather aswel :( nothing worse than having a poorly tort. Thanks for your concerns and advice everyone! Very much appreciated x

I've also just noticed that some
Of the skin on his back legs looks like it may be shreading?

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
karleyreed said:
Laney, how did you make that open top extension? That seems like a really good idea!! And sibi, the light I have states on the actual light that it is UVB and UVA I'm thinking about getting another one and puttin it underneath the one I already have, just incase, I have a
CHE it stays on all day and night I just turn it down on a night, but that's all I have for a heat source. I have been giving him a warm soak everyday. Let's just hope things get better and it's just the weather aswel :( nothing worse than having a poorly tort. Thanks for your concerns and advice everyone! Very much appreciated x

I've also just noticed that some
Of the skin on his back legs looks like it may be shreading?

It depends what you have your viv on, if you have it on a table you will need something of a similar height to put the extension on otherwise you need to build a ramp which is awfully scuttery unless you have the time and joinery skills lol.
For the one I have now (lower pic) I bought a unit from ikea which was just like a square 4sided box, but any old furniture you have lying around can easily be converted :)
I just removed one side so it was like a giant 'U' shape and found an old bit of wood big enough to screw onto bottom.
I removed one piece of the glass pushed the 3sided unit (with base attached) up against viv and lined with heavy duty tarpolen, making sure to flap it over the lip of the viv to stop substrate getting out any cracks.
Then decorate :)
It's an easy way to try an extension without ruining the viv.

I think and hope mike will be fine, it sounds similar to what Yoshi was going through for a few months and he is coming out the other side now (touch wood).
You are giving him the UVB/UVA he needs,
He has heat from his CHE which you have checked temps with people
You give him calcium
Food and water
And
Lots of love :)
I don't know if you do already but soak him everyday to make sure he gets fluid and try baby food soaks too.
X

karleyreed

5 Year Member
My viv is on the floor. I have been giving him warm soaks but not tried the baby food, what baby food should I use? He's still very lethargic today, had a few nibbles to eat and had a small bowel movement.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
That's perfect for adding an extension then if you can find some old furniture or bits of wood :)

He is nibbling which is good rather than nothing at all and a little choco present is always a good sign lol
I looked for organic carrot but couldn't find it without any other veg in it so I ended up trying a few different fruit ones watered down. Yoshi was totally fooled by the apple and mango one he was trying to eat the air above the water coz it smelled so good lol. Tricked him into drinking for a while. He knows the trick now though :s I think as long as you check the ingredients to make sure there's nothing in it that's bad for him, and go organic :)
Is he drinking or not much?
And does he act any different if your CHE is turned up a little? Turning it up a little with Yoshi didn't make a difference but its worth a try.
I think persistence is what will help but I'm still newish to all this too.
If you are worried about the UVB, you could always lower it a bit so its closer.
X

karleyreed said:
My viv is on the floor. I have been giving him warm soaks but not tried the baby food, what baby food should I use? He's still very lethargic today, had a few nibbles to eat and had a small bowel movement.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
laney said:
That's perfect for adding an extension then if you can find some old furniture or bits of wood :)

He is nibbling which is good rather than nothing at all and a little choco present is always a good sign lol
I looked for organic carrot but couldn't find it without any other veg in it so I ended up trying a few different fruit ones watered down. Yoshi was totally fooled by the apple and mango one he was trying to eat the air above the water coz it smelled so good lol. Tricked him into drinking for a while. He knows the trick now though :s I think as long as you check the ingredients to make sure there's nothing in it that's bad for him, and go organic :)
Is he drinking or not much?
And does he act any different if your CHE is turned up a little? Turning it up a little with Yoshi didn't make a difference but its worth a try.
I think persistence is what will help but I'm still newish to all this too.
If you are worried about the UVB, you could always lower it a bit so its closer.
X

He's not been drinkin a great deal tbh, I do put him in his water dish several times a day but he's stubborn! Lol. He CHE is on full, and not really making a difference :/ I havent seen him do a wee in a while, 2 days I think, and when he did do one it was tiny. I've even lowered the CHE to see if that helps, I will give the baby food soaks a go and see if that helps.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Karley, I would really try to pm gbtortoises on this one. I think I read something he posted before about your temps being too warm at night, I'm not sure. But I would shoot him a pm and ask him if I were you.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
Karley, I would really try to pm gbtortoises on this one. I think I read something he posted before about your temps being too warm at night, I'm not sure. But I would shoot him a pm and ask him if I were you.

He just always seems cold, burrows a lot and when I pick him up he's always cold to touch. But I will do thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.