I want a second tortoise

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I believe that the Russians in most pet shops are still wild caught.
There is a rescue down in Homestead called Florida tortoise rescue.. FLORIDATORTOISERESCUE.COM
It would be a 3-4 hour drive for you.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Need help!! I have been offered 2 Hermann's Tortoises from a rescue, one male, one female. I will not lie. I know nothing about breeding tortoises. Is it bad to have just one? Do they get lonely? If I get the 2 do I need to keep them separated all the time. If I get both of them and they do breed is it very complicated?? Just need a quick overview on the subject.

mandymo

This is really a personal thing. We have few different species and we love them all for all various reasons. Sorry!! I'm no help for you. :oops::oops:
I have a med spur thigh and he is adorable and they are supposed to be quite hardy aswell x

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It is not recommended that you house a male and a female together, and they really do not get lonely. When the male "comes of age" he can really stress out the female by trying to get busy all the time, and there is always the possibility of territorial or bullying issues.

This might not happen in a big habitat with a lot of sight barriers - as long as the female can get away from the male - but from what I've read on here, it's better to have either a bunch of ladies and one male in a large enclosure, or just house the tortoises separately.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Ok so it is not a bad thing if I only take one of them. I was hoping you would say that! I really did not want to deal with a male and female. So my next question is which should I get. The male or the female. Does it matter? Thank you so much for you help on this.