I want a second tortoise

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
@Jacqui how shallow always going for the pretty ones? :) but it is trrue hermanns are quite the lookers.
@Grandpa Turtle 144 Well who doesn't like pancakes? oh you mean the tortoises. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your budget is another consideration, including medical care if needed.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
Will do. Do you ever come this way at all. What is your name. I have 7 adult reds and 3 juveniles for now. lol Also got 4 homeana hingeback.
Not at the moment, my family lives here, I work here, and have been brought up here. I do travel around for airsofting during the good weather though, so I will keep an eye out if I'm near the area. Connor btw. That is a lot of Redfoots! I just have the one currently, I've only had her for about 6 weeks(saddly the place I bought her from had no knowledge of her age, but she weighs 85g), however am extremely addicted, and would like to expand my brood towards the end of the year. Preferably from a reliable source this time.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Does anyone have an Indian Star Tortoise. Please let me know how why this is your tortoise of choice. I think this is one of the most beautiful tortoises out there. Don't know what the personality is like.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I would love a Star Tortoise but I haven't seen one for under 400.00. Has anyone seen better prices than that or is that the going rate for such a beauty?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I would love a Star Tortoise but I haven't seen one for under 400.00. Has anyone seen better prices than that or is that the going rate for such a beauty?
Not an expert but over here they cost more and I hear they are not the ideal tortoise for beginners. There's a guy over here in Portsmouth who has mastered this species and breeds them. This is his web site. Obviously you can't buy one from him but you may be able to learn how to care for them. www.marcus-langford-reptiles.co.uk

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I only have the one red foot and I am glad for this choice. He can eat a wide variety of things and is very personable. Cherry heads are beautiful. Or what about one of those hypos??? Darn I'm gonna talk myself into another one. haha

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I have never heard of a hypos tortoise before, but after looking at the pictures I really like it! But once again there is the problem of where would I get one? I only know about pet stores and reptile shows. If you know anyone let me know. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never heard of a hypos tortoise before, but after looking at the pictures I really like it! But once again there is the problem of where would I get one? I only know about pet stores and reptile shows. If you know anyone let me know. Thanks

@N2TORTS breeds them right here on our forum.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
A RF in your climate would be perfect!! I think they're very personable and beautiful! Can't go wrong with N2Torts!! Good luck!!

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I am narrowing my search down. I think the Red foot is larger than I want, and the Hypo, as much as I love them, is to expensive. It looks like the Greek or possibly the Russian is the more the size I would like, and they seem to be priced fair. Do you think I should rescue one from a pet store or purchase from a breeder. Not sure what the preference is here on the forum. I have always been one to rescue and never buy from a breeder, but that is with dogs and I think it is different with tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My beautiful little girl is a Greek, a Moroccan spur-thighed tortoise. She is curious, affectionate and so lovable when she stretches out her neck and legs as far as they will go in pure contentment. She loves climbing, sunshine and showers and baths and is always fascinated by visitors, not at all nervous of people. I've only experience of Greeks, but would absolutely recommend one to anyone as an option.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You could get one from a rescue instead of a pet store, I personally do not like paying them for a pet that isn't cared for and encouraging them to buy more. Just my opinion, although I know it's really heartbreaking to see them in there.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
You could get one from a rescue instead of a pet store, I personally do not like paying them for a pet that isn't cared for and encouraging them to buy more. Just my opinion, although I know it's really heartbreaking to see them in there.

I have looked on eBay and Craig's list but no luck. Is there a rescue for Tortoises? Will they let people adopt them?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have looked on eBay and Craig's list but no luck. Is there a rescue for Tortoises? Will they let people adopt them?

I bet you have a lot of reptile or even turtle/tortoise specific rescues in FL. We have some up here in the cold North East, even! The rescues usually rehabilitate the animals and then post them up for adoption.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I bet you have a lot of reptile or even turtle/tortoise specific rescues in FL. We have some up here in the cold North East, even! The rescues usually rehabilitate the animals and then post them up for adoption.

That was a great idea!! I just turned in an application at a place called The Little tortoise place. We will see what happens.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I also say Russian, or any testudo species really, but I can only speak personality-wise for Russians since its all I have. But they are really personable. Only thing is sometimes the can be real jerks and I've heard many stories of Russians chasing around owners hands and nipping/ramming at them... I've never experienced it and I mean compared to what your sully could do in the future destruction wise it wouldn't seem bad lol.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Ok....I have decided to go with the Russian. I am so excited. I just went to the pet store to get a light bulb (I bought one on amazon and it was broken when I got it) and they had 2 Russians that were about 5 inches long already. I was so tempted, but I really want to get one from a breeder on this forum. I really love and respect this forum and I listen to all of your advice. So, who has a Russian for me!! I am so excited. If there is someone in Florida that would be great. I will drive as far as North Carolina or Georgia to pick him up. Thanks everyone for helping me to decide!!