I was so excited to go tho the zoo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Know how you feel. My (fairly) local zoo upset me a bit when I went, and I put in a feedback form hoping it would get attention, but just last week I went to a local park with a 'Pets Corner'. The tortoises there were being kept in the most horrific conditions and seemed only just alive. I've never seen such bad pyramiding or MBD. Two adult Hermann's in a glass tank only just big enough for them to share, and a leopard and sulcata together in a different enclosure. No water, no substrate, no hides, no sign that calcium or UV lighting had ever been used - all this made worse by the fact that there was an official RSPCA letter on the wall saying that they'd received a complaint, had come out to check and deemed the enclosures 'suitable'.

I've complained elsewhere and I'm hoping to hear back soon. It just shocks me that people publicly keep these animals in these conditions. I wouldn't do it behind closed doors, and I have no clue what makes people show off this abuse. You wouldn't lock a child in a small concrete room, starve them, remove all water and then add a glass window so people can watch. Even more frustrating to see that someone had raised this issue and the UK's TOP charity for animal protection had said things were fine.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
How long have they been kept like this and what negative health effects have been observed for these specific animals?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Baoh said:
How long have they been kept like this and what negative health effects have been observed for these specific animals?

Housing tortoises like this is a loaded gun. Tortoises only show symptoms when they become very ill (as with most reptiles), and in this type of setup it's guaranteed to happen sooner or later.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, that is pretty bad. The rest of the zoo may have been immaculate, but that is no way to keep tortoises and lizards. Where is this place?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
tortoises101 said:
Baoh said:

Housing tortoises like this is a loaded gun. Tortoises only show symptoms when they become very ill (as with most reptiles), and in this type of setup it's guaranteed to happen sooner or later.

There is either an illness present or there is not. I cannot see one and I am not of the habit of condemning without proper diagnosis.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
tortoises101 said:
Baoh said:

There is either an illness present or there is not. I cannot see one and I am not of the habit of condemning without proper diagnosis.

I'm in agreeance here.........Cart before the horse, or guilty before proven guilty.......

Just because something may "look" a certain way, doesn't mean they actually are........So, prove the accusations.......A picture may say a 1000 words, but what about the 1000 words it doesn't say?

I can also say that I've kept Cyclura/Ctenosaura with Tortoises for years now with no issues - Just an FYI.......

Status
Not open for further replies.