ID based on somewhat lacking description?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Ok so I went to our zoo last year and of course was all excited about the turtles and tortoises. I remember seeing redfoots and one other larger type of tortoise, only problem I don't remember what species and i'm hoping someone could easily pick up on what it was from what I remember. I mean I read all the info on them and talked for quite some time with the keeper (it was feeding and soak time).

They were close to the size of redfoots but a little bigger, they were not sulcata, but the shape/color was more similar to a sulcata (more tan and more rounded).
I don't remember where they were from or I wouldn't have to ask here, but they are endangered and I recall reading banned from the pet-trade due to endangerment from being eaten and oversold. I absolutely loved them and was pretty upset theyre not pet-able (both the fact that I couldn't keep one or touch them at the zoo lol). But I just wanted to hopefully find out what they were! Its been bugging me!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Desert tortoises maybe? I'm not very good at this game, haha :p
I just meant to get around to adding obvious things I forgot! it was definitely some type dessert (not tropical like reds). And definitely not US native... I want to say either Africa or Europe regions... Know anything about Egyptian torts? do they get big/fit the description? The name keeps popping in my head but the section here didn't help since all I saw were hatchling pictures... and how can people own them if I supposedly read they're a no for pets?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well I just read more on Egyptians and that was a bust, they definitely do NOT grow to the size of this mystery species. And the size comparison was to adult redfoots and these were adults as well. definitely not leapords, I know that much lol

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I just meant to get around to adding obvious things I forgot! it was definitely some type dessert (not tropical like reds). And definitely not US native... I want to say either Africa or Europe regions... Know anything about Egyptian torts? do they get big/fit the description? The name keeps popping in my head but the section here didn't help since all I saw were hatchling pictures... and how can people own them if I supposedly read they're a no for pets?
It's not illegal for an Egyptian to be sold in the US, maybe state laws? I don't know of any though....

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It's not illegal for an Egyptian to be sold in the US, maybe state laws? I don't know of any though....
Yeah turned out it couldn't be Egyptian they don't get big enough, It was just the name that kept coming into my head. I for a fact remember the no pet thing because I loved them and wanted one!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
did it look some thing like this? its a asian forest tortoise. its in a small wildlife park 10 mile from where i live.100_5378.JPG

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
did it look some thing like this? its a asian forest tortoise. its in a small wildlife park 10 mile from where i live.View attachment 94749
I can't really tell on the coloring, but I don't think so because the colors were more like a sulcata being lighter... and I do know 100% they weren't sulcata though, they weren't as spur-y

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
18267_4656869615890_175264431_n.jpg

I just hunted this down on facebook. I guess I had a picture... and I guess I lied about description... isn't that one of the star tortoises??

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
18267_4656869615890_175264431_n.jpg

I just hunted this down on facebook. I guess I had a picture... and I guess I lied about description... isn't that one of the star tortoises??
Looks like it... You know, IDing isn't one of my strong points... But this one seems easy enough ;)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Looks like it... You know, IDing isn't one of my strong points... But this one seems easy enough ;)
It's tricky though since I see the star-like patterns on the side but barely and all the star pictures have the patterns very bright all over... this is literally like impossible!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's tricky though since I see the star-like patterns on the side but barely and all the star pictures have the patterns very bright all over... this is literally like impossible!
It's quite clear, actually. I just always think I'm going to be wrong somehow :p

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Those are radiata(radiated tortoise) from Madagascar.
That was my next guess after a star while perusing the forums... but everyones seem to have such more prominent of a pattern, does this make them different subspecies or the care very different?
Also does anyone know if you really cant have them as pets? I mean seems like that doesn't stop people here, maybe I read wrong? This would definitely be my choice in large tort if I cant keep both him and a sully and MA kinda sucks like that!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are listed on the endangered species act as critically endangered. But they are quite common here in the United States. Legal to keep yes. If purchasing outside of state you reside in you must obtain a permit.

In regards to their pattern. They all vary quite a bit from very dark to very vibrant.

Here's mine. His name is astro
image.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
They are listed on the endangered species act as critically endangered. But they are quite common here in the United States. Legal to keep yes. If purchasing outside of state you reside in you must obtain a permit.

In regards to their pattern. They all vary quite a bit from very dark to very vibrant.

Here's mine. His name is astro
View attachment 94766
He is an amazing tortoise, especially with a name that suits his appearance :D