Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkjac

5 Year Member
Tortoise.jpgI was riding my motorcycle in the Lancaster, Calif area the other day and saw a tortoise crossing the street. I stopped and put it in the trunk of the bike. I checked several houses but on one knew anything about it. I have seen a lot of desert tortoises in the past but this one has red on the front of the front legs and red spots on the face. I would like to know what species it is. It's 5 inches in length. I have attached a photo.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome!!

Its a male 3-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), someone's escaped pet, as they're not native to California.

You can try to post fliers on utility posed around the neighborhood where the turtle was found, or place ads in the paper and online. But don't put out too much information, as there are always those who want something for nothing, even when its not theirs.

blkjac

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome!!

Its a male 3-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), someone's escaped pet, as they're not native to California.

You can try to post fliers on utility posed around the neighborhood where the turtle was found, or place ads in the paper and online. But don't put out too much information, as there are always those who want something for nothing, even when its not theirs.

Thank you

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
as there are always those who want something for nothing, even when its not theirs.
Curses, foiled again.

blkjac

5 Year Member
Thank you to all who responded. At least if the owners are not found, I know what it is and will learn how to care for it.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
welcome! hope u find the owner. If not take care of him! BTW i lived in Lancaster for 4 year for college. hows the wind over there? still strong? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.