If I screen in an outdoor tortoise enclosure will the Red foot get enough sun.

Jaxtortoise

Thinking of doing a 4 foot by 12 foot outdoor enclosure for a 3 year old red foot here in Florida. I was thinking of doing 12 inch wooden sides about a foot or two screen on the sides and screen on the top. I would have wire mesh to protect from predators but wanted to add screen because the bugs are so bad here. I have read and heard mosquitos don't bother tortoises but would like to prevent them from being in there. I don't believe it will effect the light that enters a whole lot but wanted to see if any one has experience with it. Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
How about instead of screen, using 1/2" hardware "cloth"? It's a steel mesh. Easy to cut. Allows UVB and is many times sturdier than screening. Bugs will not bother him at all. Ants are your only concern.
I also live in Florida. I have open still water pools for my tortoises and no mosquitos.
South Eastern part.
I have a new video up on YOUTUBE: "Redfoot enclosure Florida style"
You may find some tips there with housing Redfoot outside in our climate.

Jaxtortoise

Thanks I will watch the videos. I guess if the bugs wont bother I will go with just the mesh.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets. There is a section on enclosures. This would help you. :D

And do not forget to post pics of your tort as well as his/her enclosure.;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Screen blocks a lot of the needed UVB. I would go with what was suggested above.