Will this screen block UVB from the sun?

Anna!

5 Year Member
I made this outdoor box for my baby leopard but just realized that this screen may be an issue. It’s the kind of mesh screen that goes in a front screen door. Will this let enough of the good sunshine though did him to benefit from?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 0DEDEA3C-B134-4596-A5FC-CBAA4A6DE25A.jpeg
    0DEDEA3C-B134-4596-A5FC-CBAA4A6DE25A.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 16

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
Do u plan on staying outside with him supervised ? If so i wouldnt bother with a screen. And yes it can filter out uvb. U would be better off with chicken wire if u must use a top

Anna!

5 Year Member
I plan on being outside but playing with my son over on the swing set and not watching the tortoise super close.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
How big is ur lil guy? As long as ur walls are tall enough to prevent him from climbing out then i wouldnt worry to much. Ur outside in the yard ..so doubtful a hawk gonna come down and scoop him( especially with a loud kid around lol

Anna!

5 Year Member
He’s about the size of my palm. He definitely can’t climb out. I was just worried about him getting snatched up and eaten! But you’re right, there aren’t any hawks in my backyard so he’s probably fine. Thanks!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
..as long as u dont have any dogs or cats out in the yard with u

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's been a while, but iirc window screen typically blocks between 30-50% of UVB. So in full sun, the amount getting through is something like dappled shade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I made this outdoor box for my baby leopard but just realized that this screen may be an issue. It’s the kind of mesh screen that goes in a front screen door. Will this let enough of the good sunshine though did him to benefit from?
Thanks!
It will block some of the UV, but that isn't a problem outside. A bigger problem is that it might hold in too much heat. Where are you? Keep a thermometer in there with him and check it early and often. Looks like it needs some shade.

That screen might slow down a bird, but its not going to stop any other predator. Not even a rat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It will block some of the UV, but that isn't a problem outside. A bigger problem is that it might hold in too much heat. Where are you? Keep a thermometer in there with him and check it early and often. Looks like it needs some shade.

That screen might slow down a bird, but its not going to stop any other predator. Not even a rat.
1/4" steel mesh would be a lot better/stronger.
Its available at any hardware store.
So, that screen provides poor protection. But I'm thinking that there would still be ample UV getting through.
I agree with everything above.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
But why use a screen if she is out there with him anyway? No need. No predators are gonna come around while ppl are around

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But why use a screen if she is out there with him anyway? No need. No predators are gonna come around while ppl are around
Peace of mind, protection from an unexpected or visiting dog, escape prevention, and everyone, I mean EVERYONE becomes complacent over time. "I just turned around for one second to ______ and he disappeared..." I know, I know, the enclosure is supposed to be escape proof, but those walls are just not very tall. A cover of some sort does no harm, will keep the tortoise in, and everything else out. Sure, she can get by without it, but I like the added safety. I'd use welded wire. 1x1 inch or 1x2 inch.

I put welded wire over all my babies when sunning them. I never had a problem before I did this, but it really does make me feel better.