If you could own/breed ANY species of tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Say you had unlimited funds, unlimited space and could keep/breed ANY species of tortoise, what would it be?

Now, I know that my selection is impossible, for multiple reasons, but for me, it would be Geochelone yniphora, AKA the Ploughshare tortoise or Angonoka.

GyniphorafemaleCH.jpg

(If I could keep any turtle, it would be a Fly River turtle. The closest one can possibly get to a Sea turtle of their own!)

Have fun - what is your dream tortoise?

Kristina

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
For tortoises it would be the Western Tent tortoise, Psammobates tentorius trimeni http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13869.html

For turtles it would be a tie between the Spotted box turtle, Terrapene nelsoni (either subspecies) and the Colima wood turtle, Rhinoclemmys rubida perixantha

Danny

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If I had a load of money and they were available I would want the smallest tortoise in the world...I think it is ....The Speckled Tortoise, Homopus signatus.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
For me I think it would be Chersina angulata for the tortoise and the Bog turtle for the turtle.

Take care,
Jeff Port

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Galops, hands down. Three way tie for turtles. Chinese big heads, luteola boxies or those giant chinese river turtles that they have at the San Diego Zoo.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tom,
Big heads are awesome turtles. Man can they climb though.:) Very intersting turtles. I have also kept T. ornata luteola and really enjoy them as well. A friend of mine breeds them and I am on his waiting list for hatchlings this year. Can't wait!

Take care,
Jeff Port

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Easy decision for me: Speckled Cape tortoises Homopus signatus signatus and H. s. cafer. I had a few of both back in the late 80's-early 90's.

Most awesome little tortoises I've ever had!

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I think Manouria emys phayrei is my tortoise.
For a turtle it has to be a Batagur.
My partner & I are currently raising a group of Batagur borneoensis.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'm "livin' the dream," because I'm totally happy with what I have. I admire other tortoises and think they're beautiful (radiated), but I'm real satisfied with what I have.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
LOL, Yvonne ~

I may not have unlimited space or resources, but I wouldn't trade my African Leopards for any other :cool:

Altho a nice pond with some spotted pond turties would be nice; they are very personable & if I could help increase the population, all the better ;)

Great thoughtful question tho ~
Purpod

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Great answers guys!!

Yvonne, that just isn't fair, because you have Phayrei and Aladabs, and those are a couple of my other favs, too!!!

I love the little Padlopers and tent tortoises - you people really have excellent taste ;)

Kristina

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
But which Batagur Tom :p Your only supposed to pick one (or maybe 2 :D)

Danny

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I would keep my current babe sulcata, DonaTello and go 'rescue' the other sullys that need homes! I would have acres for them to roam. (plus hired help of course cuz I would be rich!) Thats my dream....someday maybe!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DonaTello said:
I would keep my current babe sulcata, DonaTello and go 'rescue' the other sullys that need homes! I would have acres for them to roam. (plus hired help of course cuz I would be rich!) Thats my dream....someday maybe!

" Hey Thats my DREAM too! " :p
J~;)

S

Scooter

I would keep radiateds and gopherus polyphemus. Along with whatever rescues came my way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welll for me it would be a toss up between galaps or aldabs. most likely aldabs since I believe there is only one and there are several different galap subspecies. as for turtles I would definetly keep spotted turtles, I think they are the prettiest water turtle species out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.