I'm going to get a RedFoot.

AnimalLady

So, my motto is, if you cant stop thinking about it, buy it.
I initially wanted a Redfoot, my stupid impatience got the best of me though and that's how I ended up with my gorgeous boy Mac.

I said i would be happy with one tort and yada yada yada...I cant stop thinking about Redfoots though! I really really want one. I decided to talk to my hubs about it since its the adult thing to do. He has no problem with me getting a Redfoot, and he's even promised to help me build another pen! He confessed that he actually likes Mac and wouldn't mind another one! YAY! Weird, but I'm going with it! Here's the thing though, regarding the enclosure hubs doesn't want me to make it any more wide than it is, its about 4 ft wide and maybe 6ish ft long? Something like that.. he said we could make it as long as I want, but he doesn't want it protruding out from the fence any more than it is.. will this work? Is this sufficient enough? They WONT be house together, but more like side by side.

SO. I contacted a man named Daniel. He runs a tort rescue here in Homestead. He has a large variety of torts to choose from. I'm excited! I have upped my research on RF care and I'm going full throttle. His website has so many pics!

My question to you all~

Say I fall in love with a tort that has some pyramiding, can I fix this tort? Will it be any more difficult to care for this tort? I want to adopt a Redfoot that needs it, that needs a little one on one love, you know? Not exactly a "special needs" tort, but one that would benefit more from just individual care.

One more thing, so much conflicting info... RF's ive read from various sites are one of the few torts that enjoy being housed together, how true is this? Can I just get one, and this tort will be happy? I don't want to breed anything, I am so not qualified for that.

Sorry this is long guys, ive had a 16 oz redbull already! :eek:

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Congrats! You must be very excited! I don't know really know anything about Redfoots...but I think its great that you are going to rescue one!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have a redfoot addiction as well...I stopped at 9. I love them dearly! I rescued a redfoot at a lady's house in April of this year with pyramiding and other issues. Pyramiding won't go away. So far he's been a great tortoise and I believe I nearly rescued all the rest too from pet stores except three that I bought from a breeder on the forum. I'm redoing my tort room to accommodate the room required for them!! I will say that my torts have gotten along, first 4 anyways. But they are getting bigger and the mating issues can get pretty crazy. My large female mimics male like behaviors and I have her and my rescued tort separated. I also have an area for my baby torts too. But realize that you will need LOTS of room for your torts. That's awesome your husband will build you an area for your torts :) Redfoots are fantastic, you won't be disappointed!

AnimalLady

I have a redfoot addiction as well...I stopped at 9. I love them dearly! I rescued a redfoot at a lady's house in April of this year with pyramiding and other issues. Pyramiding won't go away. So far he's been a great tortoise and I believe I nearly rescued all the rest too from pet stores except three that I bought from a breeder on the forum. I'm redoing my tort room to accommodate the room required for them!! I will say that my torts have gotten along, first 4 anyways. But they are getting bigger and the mating issues can get pretty crazy. My large female mimics male like behaviors and I have her and my rescued tort separated. I also have an area for my baby torts too. But realize that you will need LOTS of room for your torts. That's awesome your husband will build you an area for your torts :) Redfoots are fantastic, you won't be disappointed!

Its only going to be 2 torts total! You have 9? AWESOME! Would you be willing to show me your set up for them? :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444272071.408620.jpgthis is my rescue that had the pyramiding and respiratory infection and eye issues

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Is your RF coming yet??

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
So, my motto is, if you cant stop thinking about it, buy it.
I initially wanted a Redfoot, my stupid impatience got the best of me though and that's how I ended up with my gorgeous boy Mac.

I said i would be happy with one tort and yada yada yada...I cant stop thinking about Redfoots though! I really really want one. I decided to talk to my hubs about it since its the adult thing to do. He has no problem with me getting a Redfoot, and he's even promised to help me build another pen! He confessed that he actually likes Mac and wouldn't mind another one! YAY! Weird, but I'm going with it! Here's the thing though, regarding the enclosure hubs doesn't want me to make it any more wide than it is, its about 4 ft wide and maybe 6ish ft long? Something like that.. he said we could make it as long as I want, but he doesn't want it protruding out from the fence any more than it is.. will this work? Is this sufficient enough? They WONT be house together, but more like side by side.

SO. I contacted a man named Daniel. He runs a tort rescue here in Homestead. He has a large variety of torts to choose from. I'm excited! I have upped my research on RF care and I'm going full throttle. His website has so many pics!

My question to you all~

Say I fall in love with a tort that has some pyramiding, can I fix this tort? Will it be any more difficult to care for this tort? I want to adopt a Redfoot that needs it, that needs a little one on one love, you know? Not exactly a "special needs" tort, but one that would benefit more from just individual care.

One more thing, so much conflicting info... RF's ive read from various sites are one of the few torts that enjoy being housed together, how true is this? Can I just get one, and this tort will be happy? I don't want to breed anything, I am so not qualified for that.

Sorry this is long guys, ive had a 16 oz redbull already! :eek:

YAY!!! I've been looking at them, too..... LOL

Can't wait to see pics of your new baby!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dan Reyes is actually a member here. I did not have a nice experience with him. Out of fairness, please post back if you do have a nice outcome.
(Or not)
I would like to give him the benefit.
Have you seen the tortoises in person?
My limited dealings with him are not enough to warrant a warning to you. Two bad dealings would.

AnimalLady

Dan Reyes is actually a member here. I did not have a nice experience with him. Out of fairness, please post back if you do have a nice outcome.
(Or not)
I would like to give him the benefit.
Have you seen the tortoises in person?
My limited dealings with him are not enough to warrant a warning to you. Two bad dealings would.

Well, I value your opinion so I'm leaning on the side of caution. I will most likely take the trip out there and see what he's got going on.

Thanks Ed ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm hopeful for a great outcome.
You should also post here because quite a few Florida members raise them.../As well as the more colorful (and expensive) Cherryheads.

Getting a rescue with pyramiding would be perfectly normal and the pyramiding will not go away, just stop and become less dramatic.
Pyramiding is only a cosmetic issue, but also look for clear, open eyes, heavy weight for the size and try to observe it walking. Seeing it's poop may not be as easy.

Generally an adult with some pyramiding would be simpler to keep I.M.O. than a perfect baby hatchling. I'm not sure if you have your heart set on a baby or not.