I'm in a tortoisey panic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
Ok, so the new lil tortoise has had one bite of a dandelion leaf today, that's all I've seen him eat today. He's constantly trying to escape. He's on newspaper at the mo, and I'm worried about him having no grip. I've seen pics of tortoises on wood based pelleted cat litter, is this ok to put him on for the time being, as I have a large sack. I don't drive, so I'm gonna have to make do until I can find someone to take me to the reptile centre probably at the weekend. I have a cabinet which we used to have a marine tank stood on, it is 65.5 inches by 23 inches, and I was thinking about making a tortoise enclosure on the top, but feel it may be a little small, he is about 5 inches big. It's in my living room, and was wondering if it would be too noisy there for him. Can I take him outside as it's sunny today, and just let him have a walk around my garden (entirely supervised of course) I think as he's been on the run, he just wants to go! I feel sorry for him. I have had advice on here to have a humid area to hide, but elsewhere I have read that they must be kept in dry conditions otherwise they get infections and runny noses! I'm confused! Also he hasn't drunk anything at all. Should I give him a luke warm bath? If so do you submerse all of them apart from their head? Also, he hasn't had a poo since I've had him, but my Aunt said he had a poo yesterday. I'm sorry, I have so many questions, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! I want him to be happy. Many thanks.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
No harm in giving your new friend a soak. It's a good idea to do that regularly, but there's no need to totally submerge them - in fact, you want to just cover up to the bottom of their shell and let them paddle, rather than bathe. They tend to go to the toilet in their water, rather than anywhere else, and it's also where they'll drink (though give them somewhere to drink from in their enclosure, too).

Also no harm in supervised outdoor time. In fact, it's a great idea. I try to get Emrys out into the garden as long as it's above 17C and sunny - others might let their tortoise's out at different temperatures but I've set this limit and he's always very active outside.

Your tortoise probably won't mind the noise at all, but just check the care sheets and 'Enclosures' section of the forum to make sure you've given them a suitable home. :)

Most of all, remember - he's still settling in. He's bound to be a bit stressed and to be exploring his surroundings. Don't worry if he seems a little like he's trying to escape, he'll just be testing his boundaries.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you so much for your reply! You're in the UK like me! I'm off outside with my thermometer now to check the temp ha ha!

Ooooo, it's sunny and 25 c!!! :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
*Amber* said:
Thank you so much for your reply! You're in the UK like me! I'm off outside with my thermometer now to check the temp ha ha!

Ooooo, it's sunny and 25 c!!! :)

Sunny and 25C? I'm clearly in the wrong part of the UK!

And no problem. I have the same species of tortoise, though I think a year or two younger than yours (I'd expect yours is three or four). Mine lives in a 4ft x2ft tortoise table, with topsoil substrate and a 100 watt MVB bulb - seen here:

Table4.jpg

Obviously we have so many options with our torts, and everyone does things differently, but it's a base to work with if you're worried. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize this was a strictly UK Forum... My bad! ;):p;):p
Good morning UK neighbors! :):)

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you that's great! Thanks for the pic! Your tortoise looks great! Very cute! I'm worried about this lil guys shell, hope he'll be ok!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
AnthonyC said:
Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize this was a strictly UK Forum... My bad! ;):p;):p
Good morning UK neighbors! :):)
Afternoon, Anthony! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.