Increasing humidity i need advice

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
Hello, I need advice on how to Increase the humidity in my tank and for it to not decrease as fast. I have water sources and moss. But the minute I spray, the humidity goes down very fast. I realize its partially due to the wooden box but I dont want to make a glass tank for him.

Attachments

• 15892310349345215466372423460591.jpg
    15892310349345215466372423460591.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How old is your russian? Adults do not need as mush humidity as babies and juveniles.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Easiest thing? Raise the humidity in your home. 30% is the healthiest level for humans, but the average in a home is 20% and the average at an office is 15%. That's why it feels so good to "get fresh air". If you own a home, you can add a humidifier to your HVAC for a few $$$ and that'll do everyone good. Otherwise, you can buy all sorts of humidifier/air purifiers for under $200 that can do a good job for an average sized room.

mads3732

Harrington
Easiest thing? Raise the humidity in your home. 30% is the healthiest level for humans, but the average in a home is 20% and the average at an office is 15%. That's why it feels so good to "get fresh air". If you own a home, you can add a humidifier to your HVAC for a few $$$ and that'll do everyone good. Otherwise, you can buy all sorts of humidifier/air purifiers for under $200 that can do a good job for an average sized room.

That's actually a really good idea. My room is kind of sectioned off from the rest of the house and it gets difficult to keep it warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get rid of the hay. Russians aren't grass eaters. Then you can add moisture to your substrate which will slowly evaporate and create humidity.

Other than that, you can't keep humidity up in an open topped enclosure that allows the room air to freely mix with your enclosure air. Use a closed chamber and it will be much easier to keep it warm and moderately humid.

L

LasTortugasNinja

That's actually a really good idea. My room is kind of sectioned off from the rest of the house and it gets difficult to keep it warm.
You and your tort will benefit. I’ve had my home at 30% humidity for 3 years now. Haven’t had a single respiratory infection.

mads3732

Harrington
You and your tort will benefit. I’ve had my home at 30% humidity for 3 years now. Haven’t had a single respiratory infection.

My baby is getting over his with the help of antibiotics from the vet. I was heartbroken and scared. This definitely makes me want one.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I agree with what Tom said, put a lid on your enclosure.

But for short term, to help you and your tortoise, get a vaporizer. You can get one at any pharmacy, including Walmart, for around $50.

They come warm or cool mist. The only problem with them is that you will have to fill it with water twice every day. That gets old really fast.

Just a suggestion to try before you modify your HVAC.