indian star tortoise keeper need help (sleeps a lot, poor appetite)

lord hesho

Location (City and/or State)
losiiwciw
also
What kind of lighting and bulbs are you using?
What are you using to measure temps?
Get piedialyte for babies and put that daily in his soak water.
should i just prepare the greens and leave it in the enclosure or should i feed it he is only sleeping and hasn't touch the greens and i just found out the lamp was not uvb so that was useless so should i just put it outdoor in the sun

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That "temp measure thing" on the wall (thermometer) isn't telling you the temperature down where the tortoise lives.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
also

should i just prepare the greens and leave it in the enclosure or should i feed it he is only sleeping and hasn't touch the greens and i just found out the lamp was not uvb so that was useless so should i just put it outdoor in the sun
Answer the questions I asked.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the problem is it's not warm enough. You must get it warm enough and read those temps with the proper equipment I mentioned. I think if you actually get the correct temps ASAP things will change
Tube fluorescent for uvb
Incandescent flood bulb 65 watt for basking and
Ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed and night heat.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
I think the problem is it's not warm enough. You must get it warm enough and read those temps with the proper equipment I mentioned. I think if you actually get the correct temps ASAP things will change
Tube fluorescent for uvb
day temps i am sure are above 29 it will rake time to get proper equipment for now i keep the turtle near a heat emitter

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When you know you have a sick animal. the first thing to do is to ensure that all your setup conditions are exactly right, and you can then eliminate anything you might have been doing wrong that is the cause of its problem. If you cannot properly answer the questions and take the experts' advice, the problem will persist, get worse, and the animal will expire. These particular tortoises require certain exact conditions to be kept constant in order for them to grow healthy. For example, a certain wrong type of light can destroy their eyes. You have been given the help you need and the exact conditions and fixtures required. It's as simple as that. All the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
day temps i am sure are above 29 it will rake time to get proper equipment for now i keep the turtle near a heat emitter
It needs tone around 33 in the whole enclosure during the day and there needs to be a basking area of 36-37C directly under a flood bulb. Warm sunshine works too if its a warm day and you have a safe outdoor enclosure made up.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
Tube fluorescent for uvb
I followed your instructions and it helped tortoise is eating healthy again thanks

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That would surely be a world record for fast recovery. Hope everything goes well from here on.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
When you soak it must be warm water. If it's cold outside, lower than enclosure required temps then he can not go outside
Read the link given to you and make all suggested changes ASAP!
i gave the tortoise away to a professional in my area i do not think i have the time to take care of a baby tortoise maybe some time in the near future i might buy a medium size tortoise thx for help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i gave the tortoise away to a professional in my area i do not think i have the time to take care of a baby tortoise maybe some time in the near future i might buy a medium size tortoise thx for help
Whether it died or you gave it away, sorry you didn't have a healthy start of one. Waiting to get another is a good decision to make if you can't care for one properly.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
ok it may take me some time to get the substrates though i should get coco coir easily any advice on how to feed it and should i put it in the sun. thanks
In the time you take to set up this poor tortoise correctly he could be dead. The care sheet is explicate. It tells everything and how to do it.
I recently got a Redfoot tortoise from South America. I certainly am not an expert...but I had my whole deal set up w/correct temperatures substrate and all...here it is, maybe pictures will help you with your tortoise. It is a mini greenhouse placed over a tort table...the temps stays around 85 to 90 with 90% humidity.
DSCN1708.JPG
Possibly you can do this? Your tortoise species is relatively delicate...you need to get something set up for him asap

lord hesho

losiiwciw
Whether it died or you gave it away, sorry you didn't have a healthy start of one. Waiting to get another is a good decision to make if you can't care for one properly.
it did not die sir and to be sure it did not have a healthy start the breeder i bought it from was only feeding it cucumbers he told me too do same i guess it is for the best i actually surrendered it to a person who claimed to be a professional in my area i promise i did not die

lord hesho

losiiwciw
a
In the time you take to set up this poor tortoise correctly he could be dead. The care sheet is explicate. It tells everything and how to do it.
I recently got a Redfoot tortoise from South America. I certainly am not an expert...but I had my whole deal set up w/correct temperatures substrate and all...here it is, maybe pictures will help you with your tortoise. It is a mini greenhouse placed over a tort table...the temps stays around 85 to 90 with 90% humidity.
View attachment 364048
Possibly you can do this? Your tortoise species is relatively delicate...you need to get something set up for him asap
actually no I do not have the recourses nor the time or space to make that

lord hesho

losiiwciw
hey wanted to ask is keeping a ground or a aquatic turtle better also pls don't ne rude about like some of your other posts

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
hey wanted to ask is keeping a ground or a aquatic turtle better also pls don't ne rude about like some of your other posts
I haven't been rude to you at all. But whatever!
In my opinion, turtles are harder. Need expensive huge aquariums or large outdoor pond and expensive filtration system.