Indian star tortoise too scared to come out!

BeastMaster7

Location (City and/or State)
india
Hello, this is my first post here. I am glad that i found this forum.

I had brought 2 baby indian star tortoise(male & female pair) 1 month ago.
Since i brought them they always go inside their shell whenever someone approaches near them. I thought they might be new and are adapting to their new home. So i waited 1 month. They eat their food regularly. But still are not yet friendly and still scared of me when i go near.
Is there any way to tame them or make them slight friendly i mean i see lot of people have their tortoise being friendly and casually walk infront of them.
But mine are so shy that they would not even walk when i m around.

The routine i follow everyday for them:

Give 30mins of sunlight every early morning.
Put them in water dish for their water requirement.
Give them vegetables like cucumber(once a week), bottle gourd, okra
Also they only eat bottle gourd everyday and okra nothing else.
They won't eat hibiscus flower or leaves.
They won't eat tomato or any fruits even.

Then i bathe them (i only sprinkle water on them nothing else) every once a week.
They also poop in water dish i provide them.
Their poop is of white liquid like fluid and after that black poop. What is that white liquid they excrete?

I am a bit concerned about them.
They look healthy but lazy and shy (always sleeping in their enclosure).

I want them active as it is summer here in India.
I also sprinkle them some water on their shells as the temp here is 35°+ Celsius and outside 40°+ Celsius.

Please guide me and also tell me what m i missing.

I have provided below the setup i have prepared for them.

As you can see, u will find them hiding in that matka whole day. They won't come out on their own. Only when i put them outside in my garden.
IMG_20180508_200530.jpgIMG_20180508_185437_HDR.jpgIMG-20180505-WA0022.jpgIMG-20180505-WA0024.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello, this is my first post here. I am glad that i found this forum.

I had brought 2 baby indian star tortoise(male & female pair) 1 month ago.
Since i brought them they always go inside their shell whenever someone approaches near them. I thought they might be new and are adapting to their new home. So i waited 1 month. They eat their food regularly. But still are not yet friendly and still scared of me when i go near.
Is there any way to tame them or make them slight friendly i mean i see lot of people have their tortoise being friendly and casually walk infront of them.
But mine are so shy that they would not even walk when i m around.

The routine i follow everyday for them:

Give 30mins of sunlight every early morning.
Put them in water dish for their water requirement.
Give them vegetables like cucumber(once a week), bottle gourd, okra
Also they only eat bottle gourd everyday and okra nothing else.
They won't eat hibiscus flower or leaves.
They won't eat tomato or any fruits even.

Then i bathe them (i only sprinkle water on them nothing else) every once a week.
They also poop in water dish i provide them.
Their poop is of white liquid like fluid and after that black poop. What is that white liquid they excrete?

I am a bit concerned about them.
They look healthy but lazy and shy (always sleeping in their enclosure).

I want them active as it is summer here in India.
I also sprinkle them some water on their shells as the temp here is 35°+ Celsius and outside 40°+ Celsius.

Please guide me and also tell me what m i missing.

I have provided below the setup i have prepared for them.

As you can see, u will find them hiding in that matka whole day. They won't come out on their own. Only when i put them outside in my garden.
View attachment 239170View attachment 239171View attachment 239172View attachment 239173
Hi BeastMaster.
Unfortunately I do not have any experience with Burmese Star tortoises. However I will tag a few people who I know are very experienced and hopefully they can answer you.
As these are babies, I think that you actually need to soak them fully everyday and not just sprinkle them. By that I mean you take a tub and full it up with warm water until the level of their plastron. Soak them at least 30min everyday. You will need to keep the water warm the whole time. As leaving them in cold water will cause respiratory infection.
Secondly you will need to keep them in seperate enclosures as torts should either always be kept on their own or in groups. Two don't work since there will always be one who will bullies the other. In groups this gets spread and therefore you don't end up with one little one being bullied all the time.
I am not sure how much humidty a Burmese star needs but Tom or Yvonne should be able to help you with that. Your enclosure looks small to me but then you cannot really tell from a photo. Can you tell us what the actual size is please.
Thirdly babies are generally shy and do take while to get used to you. Use the time that you are soaking them to give them a rub. Keep in their line of site and eventually they should start getting used to you.

@Tom. @YvonneG. Could you please help here. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like Carol hit most of the high points already.

This is a very shy species compared to others. Their behavior sounds totally normal and its the main reason I don't keep this species.

They each need their own enclosure. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs.

The white stuff in their droppings is called urates. It is concentrated urine, similar to what you see in bird poop. As long as it is liquid and creamy, things are probably okay. If it gets gritty or more solid, you might have a problem. Your tortoises should be soaked every day. Placing them in their water bowl isn't enough. You need a shallow, opaque, tall sided tub and warm water about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. Keep the water warm and let them soak for about 30 minutes a day.

Your tortoises should be eating the right types of broadleaf weeds, leaves and grasses. Check this out: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is a care sheet for them. It says sulcata and leopard, but care is the same:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And here is another care sheet:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Joetheyido

UK London
My 2 female stars where like that, give them time and the proper care and they should get better, mine whear fine after 4-5months, one is like a tank nothing will scare her the other is a little shy but both get on fine and look after themself.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
They'll take time. Use the soaking/basking time as bonding period. Eventually, they'll learn to not fear you.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

BeastMaster7

india
Hi, I like to soak mine in a high sided opaque tub. If your torts are happy to sit in that dish for 30 mins then fine but mine always try to climb out. Also I’m not sure how warm it is where you are but I like to keep the water between 85-95f it it goes below 85f I change the water.
Yes, they try to come out whenever i soak them. Temp here is outside in my garden between 30° Celsius and 45° Celsius as summer is going on in india.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes, they try to come out whenever i soak them. Temp here is outside in my garden between 30° Celsius and 45° Celsius as summer is going on in india.

If they keep climbing out it may be worth getting a tub with higher sides to keep them in the water

Here is what I use
IMG_1675.jpg

HarvestHerp5

Harvest, AL
I'm glad to find this thread. I have only had my baby star tortoise for about a month. It's around 9 months old and was extremely shy when I got him. He's a little braver now, but still hides a large part of the time. I'm hoping that as he ages, he'll become more used to me and become friendlier.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
I have a baby indian star tortoise...I bought it 1 month ago...it's not eating daily...it will eat alternate days...it sleeps all day...nd he doest come out of his shell when he sees people walking around him...Im concered abt his health...I feed him with cucumber, carrot, dhanyna...nd I soak him in water once in a week as it's winter it's so cold in india...can u help me with it please...

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I have a baby indian star tortoise...I bought it 1 month ago...it's not eating daily...it will eat alternate days...it sleeps all day...nd he doest come out of his shell when he sees people walking around him...Im concered abt his health...I feed him with cucumber, carrot, dhanyna...nd I soak him in water once in a week as it's winter it's so cold in india...can u help me with it please...
For starters, look up above for @Tom's answer where he gives links to 2 or 3 care sheets for your tort. I don't have a tort yet or I might be more help.

@Tom, @Yvonne & others on this forum are well-experienced experts & will get back with

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read this:

Sruthi

Hyderabad
Read this:
Thank u...but wha to do if my tortoise don't eat it's food regularly