Injured Scutes?

sbRussian

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I recently adopted a Russian Tort, her name is Soso. Judging by her exterior it looks like she had a pretty rough go of things until they found her wandering in Milwaukee, WI and took her to a reptile sanctuary. Her scutes, which are they to protect the boning underneath (correct?) are chipped in a couple places. You can just see smooth, dull white. (very small in two areas) My question is, will this heal eventually? Will it continue to heal and grow back over the area? Could this lead to infection, etc? The vet deemed her ok to be released to me, but I wasn't able to speak with her myself. Any opinions?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't think she is prone to infection. Charlie has a spot like that on his back. He dug underneath our concrete patio and it scraped the highest part of his shell. This happened a few years ago and it looks pretty much the same.

Turtleneck123

Tomas had a little chipped spot on his shell too when I got him. It is not something you should worry about as the white underneath is hard.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
my older russian randall has some shell deformity and since hes been being cared for appropriately his vet has said hell be just fine.

you can see some of it in this photo

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 11
  • image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    495 KB · Views: 10