Injury on face

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
Help!! My 25 year old redfoot Beasley went our to her safe outdoor pen around noon. When I brought her in at 6pm she looked like this! She is reluctant to bring her head out of her shell and her left eye is swollen--and there is this red sore behind her eye. I have no idea what could have happened! Maybe a stick got stuck and abraded her?? I have no idea if there is damage further in because she sucks in the minute I get near her (very uncharacteristic).

There is an exotics vet here but not sure how good he is. I will try to get her in tomorrow. What antibiotics are OK and are there any that should be avoided? How should they be given? Because getting them down her orally is probably out--would be hard anyway, but with her not wanting to bring out her head. . . UPDATE: Just checked and vet is CLOSED tomorrow. Not open until Monday. ARGGHGHGHGH!

I tried soaking her, as sometimes that just makes them feel better, but she tried to drown herself--put her head in and refused to come out, and her head was underwater. So I had to take her out.

Attachments

• 20230915_183136.jpg
    20230915_183136.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230915_183206.jpg
    20230915_183206.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230915_183214.jpg
    20230915_183214.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230915_183220.jpg
    20230915_183220.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Beasley! There's just no tellin' how something like that happened. I'd buy some Vetericyn Eye ointment. Try Amazon or Chewy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is that safe pen actually outside> Could she have gotten stung? Bit or something like that? Get that eye ointment Yvonne suggested...

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Is that safe pen actually outside> Could she have gotten stung? Bit or something like that? Get that eye ointment Yvonne suggested...
Yes it's outside. ?? It doesn't look like a sting to me (that abrasion), but I suppose it's possible. How in the world would I get eye ointment in her eye when she is sucked into her shell all the time, refuses to come out, and if I find a way to get her to come out (put her on a slant, which is how I got the pix), she sucks back in the minute I get near.

I found another exotics clinic and have emailed to try to get an appointment tomorrow. What I want is to make sure she is not given the wrong antibiotic if that is what they recommend.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I had thought it looked like a sting from a wasp or hornet.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Poor Beasley! There's just no tellin' how something like that happened. I'd buy some Vetericyn Eye ointment. Try Amazon or Chewy.
This? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8M3KSNV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If I order it now it won't come until Sunday. And how can I get it into her eye if she refuses to come out of her shell and if she does, she sucks back in if I come near her? I don't see how that is possible . . . .

I'm at least as worried about the thing behind her eye as I am her eye.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I had thought it looked like a sting from a wasp or hornet.
Why? I don't mean the swollen eye--I mean the red abraded area behind the eye. It is flat--it is not at all swollen. It doesn't look anything like a sting to me . . .

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you take her to a good reptile vet, l certainly hope they would know how to treat it, and with what medication.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why? I don't mean the swollen eye--I mean the red abraded area behind the eye. It is flat--it is not at all swollen. It doesn't look anything like a sting to me . . .
If something stung her behind the eye, she may have violently clawed at it, causing the abrasion, then the eye swoll up from the venom.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
If you take her to a good reptile vet, l certainly hope they would know how to treat it, and with what medication.
Well, you are more optimistic than I am. MANY vets who say they treat reptiles do things they shouldn't, and I never just assume. I trust the one I know better, but he's closed tomorrow. And antibiotics can be very tricky in reptiles.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
If something stung her behind the eye, she may have violently clawed at it, causing the abrasion, then the eye swoll up from the venom.
Maybe. Ugh. There were some wasps out there a few weeks ago but I haven't seen any since then and didn't see any when I brought her in. What can I do in that case? I can't give her Benadryl! I am really pretty sure there is no way she's gonna let me put drops in no matter what.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Since I can't get this until at least Sunday, what about sterile saline? I can get that at the pharmacy tonight. Not that she's gonna let me put it in her eye . . . But I might be able to flush it in there generally (maybe, if she comes out), possibly hitting eye and wound?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well, you are more optimistic than I am. MANY vets who say they treat reptiles do things they shouldn't, and I never just assume. I trust the one I know better, but he's closed tomorrow. And antibiotics can be very tricky in reptiles.
Please note that I said a GOOD reptile vet.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Please note that I said a GOOD reptile vet.
Yes. This other clinic SOUNDS good, but the problem is that the way you find out is by handing them your pet. So I am hoping to be able to avoid coming home with something dangerous, since I don't know this clinic at all.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have 2 suggestions...hold the tortoise upside down...generally speaking she 'should' pop her head out...be patient....or sneak the med tube along her lumbar spine basically so she can't see you sneaking up her carapace carefully...then...ZAP quick as lightening push the tube in her eye and squeeze...what can you lose by trying the saline? Do it...and follow my directions....lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think the warm soak is a good thing to do, just make it a bit shallower than you usually do. She will not drown herself!

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I will try soaking again and attempt the saline tomorrow AM. It is 8 pm now and she is asleep, so it's a bad time to try to get her to do anything. I went out and bought the saline. Thanks everyone for your help! So stressful. 25 years with her and NOTHING until now!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I will try soaking again and attempt the saline tomorrow AM. It is 8 pm now and she is asleep, so it's a bad time to try to get her to do anything. I went out and bought the saline. Thanks everyone for your help! So stressful. 25 years with her and NOTHING until now!
If the vet wants to inject Baytril (antibiotic) or any vitamins, just forget the appointment and leave.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
If the vet wants to inject Baytril (antibiotic) or any vitamins, just forget the appointment and leave.
Thank you. Is Baytril the only abio that is problematic? I did find this. Can I assume that all these abios are OK?