Interesting wild red foot photos from Inaturalist.

SealMarioz

Location (City and/or State)
California
I normally use Inaturalist to learn about local species and distributions and habitats of species across the world and came across some neat wild redfoots (likely cherryheads? from south-eastern brazil)

Is this pattern on their scutes marbeling like you see with some captive torts or like just how their shells formed in the wild?

large.jpg

large.jpeg

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
iNaturalist is a great resource to observe wild examples, the closest most of us will ever get! Have you seen this absolute stunner on there? I have this photo favorited in my phone.

Most marbling we see does fade, but some lasts on the more extreme examples but never as bright and vivid on adults as on juveniles.

Attachments

• IMG_8033.png
    IMG_8033.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 1

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
I normally use Inaturalist to learn about local species and distributions and habitats of species across the world and came across some neat wild redfoots (likely cherryheads? from south-eastern brazil)

Is this pattern on their scutes marbeling like you see with some captive torts or like just how their shells formed in the wild?

large.jpg

large.jpeg
I looked more closely at the second photo you shared, and that looks more like shell damage on that one, the first one looks like true marbling though. I have an older girl that is missing half a scute and it looks similar to that underneath.