Introduction

Liz Thomson

Hi all, my name is Liz and I live in Kent. I have 6 Mediterranean tortoise, some older than me and one Sulcata.

I've joined to get advise/ support as there's a lot of conflicting information out there, including from my vet!

The Sulcata at the moment is causing concern. He's 9 and has lived in the same environment (part garage, boarded and insulated) with two open front vivariums with uv light, basking light and heat mat. He has access to wet and dry food. He's been treated for a mouth infection and has low White cell count. Vet has advised ambient temperature should be above 30 degrees centigrade which seems to be hotter than recommended online. Any views?

Can anyone recommend a way of heating the enclosure more so in the winter and especially at night?

I'll be keeping him in the conservatory whilst he recuperates but this is not a long term solution.

The vet has recommended bathing him twice a day whilst he's on the mend which is fine- any views on what vitamin soaks to use?

Many thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Liz, welcome!
I have no knowledge at all about your "Mediterranean" tortoises. Mine are all tropical Red Foot, however someone will surely be along soon with your answers.
Members of this forum are keepers from all over the world and what they have to offer would be the best information that you are likely to find anywhere, including from a vet.
Best of luck to you!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
hi and welcome to the forum. there are some good care sheets pinned to the top of the African and Mediterranean tortoise sections that are defiantly worth reading. The forum has the best most up to date info available. unfortunately a lot of the info on the internet and in books is old and not very accurate. we all like to see pics of tortoises and their enclosures. hint hint ;).

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Got any pics of your sulcata and its enclosure? That way we can see what you're working with.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. It's tough heating a large open area for these guys. I'd elevate some sort of floor that's insulated, make a hide box that can stay nice an toasty fr him. 30 is ok but not constant. They need a drop in temperature naturally. Hydration is also needed too. It's very difficult soaking a 9 year old though, so I'd do the best you can with that. What good items are you giving? Sulcatas need a lot of room to roam as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your vet is right about the temperatures. Warmer temperatures do help them when they are sick or recovering. 30 is fine as an ambient day and night, but they still need a warmer basking area that reaches 36-37 during the day. Most people don't keep sulcatas warm enough in my opinion. They can survive at older temperatures, so most people assume that lower temps are fine. I've kept them long term at those cooler temps and I also kept them long term at warmer temps. They do incomparably better at the warmer temperatures.

You don't need to soak twice a day. Once a day or every other day will be fine for an older one. His age does not tell us his size. Some nine year olds are 5 pounds and some are 105. I also would not worry about using vitamins in the soaking water.

One thing I did not see addressed that is critically important is how this tortoise got sick in the first place. Treating the symptoms without discovering and correcting the cause is not likely to end successfully. These sort of infections are typically caused by temperatures that are too low. These are tropical animals. The temperatures where they come from are near or above 37 every day all year long. At night the temperature can dip down to 18-24 in their "winter" but even then they are down in their burrows where the temperature stays around 30 all the time day and night. Certainly a whole different dynamic than any of the Mediterranean species.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to you and all your tortoises.
Listen to the advice here and you won't go far wrong.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Welcome.
Sorry to hear your tortoise is unwell, but if you listen to the info given to you everything will be ok. Tom especially knows what he's talking about