Introduction

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sulphur, LA
Hello all, I think I missed my introduction 3 months back! We (my husband Kellen and I) have a rescued sulcata tortoise that was about 5 yrs old and weighing 2lbs 7ozs. She had bad pyramiding, not moving much, not eating, and kept in the same glass tank with her sister all that time. **sister had just passed away :(. We had to pry her mouth open to give her Calcium drops and other vitamins. It was very sad to see but we were all determined to get this little girl back!

8 months later she has gained 2.5 pounds, she's actually growing like she should and not pyramiding. She loves her food and her outside exercise time.
We named her "Pinky" due to her being stubborn and sassy like her predecessor "Pinky Tuscadero". I don't know how I made it up to this point without having a tortoise. They are a joy all on their own. She has only made us smile. :<3:🥰 We are so happy to be here. I love all the information and appreciate everyone for sharing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219-073836_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-073836_Gallery.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 2

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, your poor tort had a bad start by the looks of it especially being forced to share a small space with another tort - that must have been very stressful for both of them and may have contributed to the death of the other tort, but hopefully now you're on the forum you can start to put things right for her.

There's a lot of old information about tort care online and in social media but you'll only get the most update advice here.

I don't know if you've already found them but there is a great caresheet for Sulcata in the Species Specific threads and if you read the Information for New People that will explain all the right and wrong ways to do things. Also keep asking as many questions as you like about about equipment, diet or health etc, there's always someone around to help. Members can also help you save a lot of money by checking if the equipment you have or want to buy is safe and suitable.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Wow, thank you so much for rescuing her! I see torts like that on CL all the time and I wonder how they do after they get to good homes. Please keep us in the loop on her progress!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hi and welcome, your poor tort had a bad start by the looks of it especially being forced to share a small space with another tort - that must have been very stressful for both of them and may have contributed to the death of the other tort, but hopefully now you're on the forum you can start to put things right for her.

There's a lot of old information about tort care online and in social media but you'll only get the most update advice here.

I don't know if you've already found them but there is a great caresheet for Sulcata in the Species Specific threads and if you read the Information for New People that will explain all the right and wrong ways to do things. Also keep asking as many questions as you like about about equipment, diet or health etc, there's always someone around to help. Members can also help you save a lot of money by checking if the equipment you have or want to buy is safe and suitable.
Thank you so much! I will definitely read that now. I found this site by googling what to do for her when we decided to take her in. I would read and read and read. Finally I made an account. lol

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Wow, thank you so much for rescuing her! I see torts like that on CL all the time and I wonder how they do after they get to good homes. Please keep us in the loop on her progress!
I sure will! Thank you so much, the progress was slow but it seems like she is really showing her growth all of a sudden.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome to the forum from South Florida
Give this a read. Then ask whatever questions you may have.

It's an excellent sign that he or she is walking with his or her body fully off of the ground. It shows that if there is any metabolic bone disease (MBD) That it isn't yet severe.
Get that tortoise some Sunlight and some humidity.
What is your current uvb source?
Describe or photograph your set-up so that we may better assist you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Remember, MBD is painful. Your tortoise needs calcium AND UVB. If you supply the UVB by lighting, be sure to use a good one. And try to not go overboard with calcium suplement. Just a pinch over the food. Too much or he may turn his nose up at it. Kale, collard, turnip greens, beet greens are calcium rich.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Welcome to the forum from South Florida
Give this a read. Then ask whatever questions you may have.

It's an excellent sign that he or she is walking with his or her body fully off of the ground. It shows that if there is any metabolic bone disease (MBD) That it isn't yet severe.
Get that tortoise some Sunlight and some humidity.
What is your current uvb source?
Describe or photograph your set-up so that we may better assist you.
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I hope I got everything listed below!

• Location – SW Louisiana, Zone 9b (hot and humid)
  • Female sulcata born September 2018 – 5yrs 5 mos. old.
  • Substrate – Fir bark, a few large pebbles
  • Basking – 70-watt incandescent flood light (about 90˚ F at top of carapace
  • UVB – 13 watt tropical (only use it if she can’t go outside for appx 3-4 days)
  • Heat – Ceramic (86˚ F at top of carapace)
  • Temp of enclosure - between 80- and 90-degrees F
**Humidity varies between 50 and 80. That’s one thing I’m having a problem with.
  • Summer - I soak her every morning until she starts to try and climb out.
  • Winter - I try and soak her every other day. Sometimes she doesn’t want to, so I take her out and try again the next day.
  • She goes outside almost every day, weather permitting. She loves it.
  • She grazes on clovers, dandelions, I forget the names of some of the weeds.
  • She is fed tortoise grass mix & collard greens, both from our garden. (In the summer she eats all grass in the food I prepare. Winter, we substitute with more greens)
  • Other snacks - Carrot, cactus, bell pepper, zucchini.....
  • She has toppers that are shown in one of the photo's attached.
**Her back legs used to drag more than they do now. She is taller when she walks, but I don’t think she is tall enough. That’s an issue I’m afraid of. (She has always been fully off the ground though)

**I want to change her enclosure but I'm just not sure what to do. I look at so many things online but they don't have everything she needs I feel like. She lays in the front cooler part of her area but i need a humid hide right?
**Was thinking of getting a heating mat....the heavy duty ones but I don't know if she actually needs it.
She has a big area in that room that she can come out anytime she wants and is safe. There's a carpet that's normally there but I'm washing it right now.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will absolutely change anything that is needed. I want her to be as healthy, happy, and safe as possible.Enclosure.jpgTop view.jpgThermostat inside.jpgOutside mix.jpgGrass mix.jpgTreat.jpgToppers, vitamins, grass seed.jpg

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hi, and welcome!

Remember, MBD is painful. Your tortoise needs calcium AND UVB. If you supply the UVB by lighting, be sure to use a good one. And try to not go overboard with calcium suplement. Just a pinch over the food. Too much or he may turn his nose up at it. Kale, collard, turnip greens, beet greens are calcium rich.
Thank you so much! I hope she doesn't have any amount of MBD. Yes I give a bit of calcium spray twice a week, and a bit of the other vitamins twice a week on other days.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much! I hope she doesn't have any amount of MBD. Yes I give a bit of calcium spray twice a week, and a bit of the other vitamins twice a week on other days.
The tortoise DOES have MBD. The depressed backbone and inability to fully stand up and walk on all 4 legs are signs of it. That being said, you are making things better, and the tortoise is showing improvement, so don't be disheartened. Just keep up the good work and it should continue to improve.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your mvb light is not one that we recommend as a group. In fact, we mostly warn against using them because of the dangerous and uneven way that they broadcast the light.
Find a T5 HO LINEAR STRIP FLORESCENT tube uvb. A 10.0 or a 12% depending on the manufacturer.
MBD can be stopped and the bones and shell can harden. (Recalcify) But the damage can't be reversed. Only stopped.
I've been given animals in worse condition that are now living good lives. So she has a good chance of many good decades to come.
Sunlight is the best medicine.
A good artificial uvb can suffice. It'll help her convert the calcium in her food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I totally agree with Zovick.
The signs are pretty clear. But it's not damage that's progressed too far.
We see these poor animals dragging their bodies on the ground with neae useless legs.
The pain must be incredible

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
The tortoise DOES have MBD. The depressed backbone and inability to fully stand up and walk on all 4 legs are signs of it. That being said, you are making things better, and the tortoise is showing improvement, so don't be disheartened. Just keep up the good work and it should continue to improve.

😭 She will possibly strengthen over time?

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Your mvb light is not one that we recommend as a group. In fact, we mostly warn against using them because of the dangerous and uneven way that they broadcast the light.
Find a T5 HO LINEAR STRIP FLORESCENT tube uvb. A 10.0 or a 12% depending on the manufacturer.
MBD can be stopped and the bones and shell can harden. (Recalcify) But the damage can't be reversed. Only stopped.
I've been given animals in worse condition that are now living good lives. So she has a good chance of many good decades to come.
Sunlight is the best medicine.
A good artificial uvb can suffice. It'll help her convert the calcium in her food.
I will order one asap. I just found one by Reptisun and I see it mentions MBD in the description.

I'm a big baby when it comes to that little girl. Breaks my heart knowing what she and so many others went through. Like...5 years in a glass box amongst other things like poor diet etc! I can't even....

You guys really are great. I'm so glad I found this group!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I totally agree with Zovick.
The signs are pretty clear. But it's not damage that's progressed too far.
We see these poor animals dragging their bodies on the ground with neae useless legs.
The pain must be incredible
Yes I've read some articles where they are just dragging. It makes me angry and so sad at the same time. People think they are cute and get one thinking they will stay in an aquarium with little to no attention. I can't imagine how those babies deal with that.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi there from the PacificNorthWest...here is Mary Knobbins...she was this way when she came to me...All her new growth is smooth. She lives in a 20'v12' heated and insulated tort shed...Mary does not show any MBD signs...DSCN1874.JPGDSCN1909.JPG

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hi there from the PacificNorthWest...here is Mary Knobbins...she was this way when she came to me...All her new growth is smooth. She lives in a 20'v12' heated and insulated tort shed...Mary does not show any MBD signs...View attachment 366849View attachment 366850
Hello Ms. Mary! I like her last name too 😍. Awww she's a beautiful girl and strong, look at that burrow!