introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosemary Lombard

5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Hi from a new member
I'm Rosemary Lombard, an animal behaviorist/herpetologist, with an independent turtle cognition lab, Chelonian Connection, near Portland, Oregon. I've had turtles since 1969 and have been involved in research with them since 1979. Our group includes a female eastern box turtle (since 1971), male ornate box turtle, five offspring of above (didn't realize Terrapene carolina and T. ornata could do that!), female pancake tortoise (from 1973) and her six offspring, and a male Russian tortoise. Most of the turtles are rescues or hatched at the lab.

We've done talks, walks, and demos for museums, schools, scholars' organizations, literary readings, and city naturalist programs (the latter when I worked as a naturalist). The last two years we've done featured pancake tortoise demos and, this year, added slide talks at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry's Reptile and Amphibian Show. I have a general interest book in preparation that tells the story of the turtle-human relationships and what we've learned about each other over the years. So far it's called Diode's Experiment: A Box Turtle Investigates the Human World. (Diode is the mother box turtle who was called "Grandma" the first time we saw her and the one whose "experiment" showing that she understood categories of objects got all of this research going.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Hi Rosemary:

507265dcvgtnst7m.gif

to the forum!!

We have many P N/W members here on the forum!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado

Rosemary Lombard said:
Hi from a new member
I'm Rosemary Lombard, an animal behaviorist/herpetologist, with an independent turtle cognition lab, Chelonian Connection, near Portland, Oregon. I've had turtles since 1969 and have been involved in research with them since 1979. Our group includes a female eastern box turtle (since 1971), male ornate box turtle, five offspring of above (didn't realize Terrapene carolina and T. ornata could do that!), female pancake tortoise (from 1973) and her six offspring, and a male Russian tortoise. Most of the turtles are rescues or hatched at the lab.

We've done talks, walks, and demos for museums, schools, scholars' organizations, literary readings, and city naturalist programs (the latter when I worked as a naturalist). The last two years we've done featured pancake tortoise demos and, this year, added slide talks at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry's Reptile and Amphibian Show. I have a general interest book in preparation that tells the story of the turtle-human relationships and what we've learned about each other over the years. So far it's called Diode's Experiment: A Box Turtle Investigates the Human World. (Diode is the mother box turtle who was called "Grandma" the first time we saw her and the one whose "experiment" showing that she understood categories of objects got all of this research going.)

Wow, that is so impressive. I'd love to read a summary of the Diode Experiment. It would be fascinating to learn how a turtle could understand categories of things, and how your team documented her ability. Cool!:D

Tort14U

10 Year Member!
Camano Island,WA

Hello I am Melissa from Camano Island,WA. I have 4 RTs, one is a male named RT who ran away from home about 3 years ago. I have 2 other male RTs named Radar and Tonka and a female named Echo. I have a HT male named Flash and 5 RES. three females named Precious, Phoebe and Tess and two males named Rocky and Jack Sparrow.
They all live in their own room for now till we get their outdoor habitat built. Still looking for some good ideas on that topic too. I have an idea of what I would like it to turn out to be but still like to see other peeps setups too. Well anyways that is it in a shell.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Welcome Melissa! you like crazy weather, i like to avoid it while I'm flying! works good!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Melissa:

We have quite a few forum members who live in the Pacific N/W. You're going to fit right in!!

107320zxixvqv5oa.gif

to the forum!!

emma

5 Year Member

hi everyone, I am a new owner of a RT who is 5 months old! my husband brought he for me for xmas.... the shop told him we needed to have a 2ft by 1.5ft fish tank, with wood chips. I was given pellets for food and told to by a heat mat and uv light, we have done all this but i have had conflicting information! Dasher (as he is called) is eating, slightly drinking and seems ok. When do i need to bathe him as i have read that too much moisture can cause infections to the shell ect! Please can anyone advise? Thanks for your time and look forward in sepending some more time on the forum x

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA

Welcome :D If you have pictures of Dasher, please post them and I do reccomend you switch to a storage bin or wooden pin because tortoises do not grasp the concept of invisible solids well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Emma:

1844381tn4a53au97.gif

to the forum!!

Please post your Russian Tortoise question here:

http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-24.html

as more folks will see it there and you'll get some good answers! Let me start by telling you that most of what you posted is wrong. So please go to the Russian forum and we'll help you there!!

melodie.h

5 Year Member

My name is Melodie and I live in AZ. I have a 3 year old Sulcata named Pete. He recently has gotten a whistle in his nose which i am not sure what that means... I have read a few things online, like try putting him in a bowl with a damp towel to get moisture. I haven't tried that yet... just looking for someone who might have another answer!

Also, he seems to be constipated....... any tricks? I have been giving him Dandelion root in a fine powder... no major movements yet. He eats as normal and is drinking while I soak him. Just no normal "movements" yet.

Thanks!

Melodie and Pete

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Melodie:

2156745ivi4tu24v8.jpg

to the forum!!

It would be better if you ask your question on the sulcata section, here:

http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-3.html

More people will see it there and you'll get a better response.

melodie.h

5 Year Member

thanks Yvonne!!! I am new to these blog things... :-/

tortoiserescue

5 Year Member

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hi I'm Susan founder of American Tortoise Rescue in Malibu - we are a 20 year old nonprofit and have rescued and rehomed about 3000 turtles and tortoises. Our web site is www.tortoise.com - we also founded World turtle Day which is celebrated internationally on May 23rd every year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Susan:

733895zl8k1fkhwd.gif

to the forum! I'm very glad to see you here. I talk about you quite often. Your input on breeding sulcatas can add quite a bit of insight to our discussions on the subject. Great to see you here with us!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Welcome to the forum Susan, I am glad someone like you joined our group :)

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.

Hi! My name is Annie and I have a 2 1/2 year old Sulcata named Mortimer/Mortisha. I acquired her after my son and roomates graduated U of M in May 2008. We live in New Jersey and right now because of temps, Mort has free roam of our finished basement and is doing fine down there. Since October, we have been battling with an intermittent cloacal prolapse. After tweaking husbandry, X-rays, CAT scan, and antibiotics---- we are still unable to determine the cause of the prolapse but it has lessened and gotten smaller with the anti-inflammatories. I have watched her grow for a year and a half -8.0 oz when I got her-- 8.5 lbs to date. Have throughly enjoyed this forum since I joined and just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the valuable info and stories. I will post pic's as soon as I figure out how to do it. Have a great day!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Annieski:

947588nhoc9uceak.gif

to the forum!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Welcome to the forum :)
Do you have any pics of the enclosure?
Is your basment humid and cold? What are the temps in Mortimer/Mortisha's enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.