introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaqus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Thanks!

I will post some pics when I can get my little guys outside - we've had so much rain lately their pens are mud pits! I can't wait for summer!!

Abaqus

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona

Hello and welcome to TFO!! Post pics soon!!!

S

stells

oh now this could be fun.
Welcome Sue

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum sue. Glad to see you have joined us.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

hey Sue! wow you have a lot of experience. i am sure you can add a lot of wisdom and knowledge to this site. thank you for joining!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

welcome... Sue.

Ed (your greatest fan)(love the intro...)

wizzasmum said:
Hi
I am Sue (wizzasmum) and I keep Testudo hermanni boettgeri, horsfieldi and Geochelone pardalis. I succesfully breed hermanns and horsfields. I will not be breeding the leopards as I feel there are too many unwanted ones in the UK already.
My torts are my friends and I do not believe in forced or intensive breeding, so it's a case of sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
Have been into animal rescue for over thirty years, including rabbits, guinea pigs, several years with the GRWE (greyhound rescue) and over twenty five years with torts. Owned a canine beautician business until ill health forced retirement (dog trimmers back bad lol) and now work for Social Services (Age Concern)with the elderly.
I am owner of the Tortsmad Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tortsmad and am looking forward to seeing new faces.
Take care
Sue

lizelcox

10 Year Member!
New to forum!

Hi, i'm new here-thought it looked interesing! I have a 14 year old 130 pound Sulcata tortoise-male. A 50 year old sulcata female. 4 smaller sulcatas ranging from 1 1/2 years to 5 years old. And 2 smaller boox turtles. Thought I coul get other peoples input. And also give some of my own! Thanks!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

welcome lizelcox! where are you located? im in sunny souther california. let me know if you need any help with anything. crazy1 and I are moderators, and are here to help!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ

Welcome Lizel! I would love to see pics of your sulcatas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Lizel: Where are you located? I'm wondering how you manage to contain a 100lb + monster during the cold weather.

Welcome to the forum!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome Lizelcox to the forum. Can't wait to see pics.

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hello! I have a little Russian Tortoise. "Torti" - I was told by the pet store he was a greek. But Danny say his picture and confirmed he is a Russian. When I did research on Greeks I always wondered why I couldn't find one that looked exactly like him. Now since I know and have been looking at Russians pictures that is him.

We have had him since 10/07. He is the sweetest little man ever.

I look forward to learning more about him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

bandi09 said:
Hello! I have a little Russian Tortoise. "Torti" - I was told by the pet store he was a greek. But Danny say his picture and confirmed he is a Russian. When I did research on Greeks I always wondered why I couldn't find one that looked exactly like him. Now since I know and have been looking at Russians pictures that is him.

We have had him since 10/07. He is the sweetest little man ever.

I look forward to learning more about him.

The nice thing is, what you have learned so far may be about Greeks, but with just a wee tweaking, it's the same for Russians.

Only have the one? Hmmmm that will change fast. Hasn't any body warned you they are like Lay's Potato Chips? Can't have just one. :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum bandi09 and to tort ownership. Jacqui is right one will never do.

whizz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi

I have a male Hermann's tortoise which I've had for around 28 years. Not sure how old he is exactly as I guess he was at least a few years old when we got him.
Would love to get another Hermann's but not sure whether to go for a baby as I wouldn't be able to house them together. Hopefully this forum will be able to give me some advise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Whizz Hi!!!! Impressive having the Hermann's for so long. Would you really rather have a youngster or an adult? You would need to keep which ever one you got isolated from your existing tort for awhile any how, but yes the youngster would need some growing before it would be really safe for it.

whizz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi Jacqui
Thanks for the welcome. Would probably be better to get an adult female although they are not as easy to get hold of. Will have to look into it I think.
Thanks again

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

thanks for the welcome. I know they are like chips but I already have 1 horse, 2 dogs, 2 hermit crabls, fish, our guinea pigs passed, we are moving in a few weeks, I have already contacted a rescue about adopting 2 more guinea pigs. From what I have read about Russian tortoises is that they can fight. Is that correct? I know that giunea pigs are social and don't like living by themselves are tortoises like that? He loves to eat, I cannot imagine him sharing his food. He is also pretty spoiled. Our guinea pigs had cozy saks, so of course Torti needed one to sleep in during floor time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

bandi09 said:
I know that giunea pigs are social and don't like living by themselves are tortoises like that? He loves to eat, I cannot imagine him sharing his food.

Actually, tortoises are solitary animals, only coming together to breed. They don't like having to share their favorite sleeping place, or food. Having said that, they can and do get along with more of their own species, but they don't get lonely when by themselves. But male Russians are pretty aggressive fighters (and breeders!) The fights can be pretty harsh.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.