invitation

Nicole74

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama
I took one of our dogs to the vet today. Poor dear dislocated her hip during some rough play with the other dogs. Anyway he is also our reptile vet & works for the zoo so I asked him about keeping tortoises. He suggested I come to the zoo & talk with their tortoise keepers about care & which tortoises thrive in our climate. Sounds interesting. So the next Thursday that I have a sitter, I'll be off to the zoo.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds interesting. Do you already know what they keep, so you can research them more?

Nicole74

Central Alabama
Sounds interesting. Do you already know what they keep, so you can research them more?

Right off I know they have pancake, star & sulcata tortoises plus a large turtle population. They seem to have more than they allow to be viewed as I haven't seen the sulcata but the vet mentioned that they have 3. I'm going to check their website and see if they list them there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Right off I know they have pancake, star & sulcata tortoises plus a large turtle population. They seem to have more than they allow to be viewed as I haven't seen the sulcata but the vet mentioned that they have 3. I'm going to check their website and see if they list them there.

Most zoos have a large population of animals that are kept off exhibit.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Quite exciting!
Don't forget to take a camera, so you can post pictures here! :)

destortoise

VA and WA
But right off the bat, if you're in the American Southeast, some of the more tropical species would do well for you. Red/Yellow foots enjoy those hot, humid Alabama days :)

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Awesome, I am always bugging the zookeepers, asking about the tortoises/turtles. Detroit Zoo has Indian Star, pancake, Egyptian Desert 7 1 big African Spurred that is only on exhibit in the hottest summer days. They also have a huge natural swamp area with tons of turtles, plus snapping, 3 toed box, and some giant hognose guys on display. They never invite me to the back.... They know I would'nt leave haha

Nicole74

Central Alabama
I will definitely take pictures. It helps that I know several people who work at the zoo & know I take good care of my animals so I can be vouched for as a responsible person..
I'm not sure things are going well with Kay's hip. We will be going back tomorrow for xrays. He assured me Tuesday that what I was seeing was with her was normal but unless something miraculous happens today I don't see her walking on it by Friday.