Is he sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I heard that if a torts eyes r watery they can be sick. Is this one of those cases?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367095648.507930.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367095665.827086.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367095685.511286.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kjr153

5 Year Member
I'm sure no expert but your Tort's eyes look good to me.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
They look fine from that photo, but maybe it's not showing it clearly enough. Are you seeing discharge or bubbles? If so, they could just be a bit watery, and it might pass. If it's more serious, it might be due to dryness, something in his eye, harmful lighting, vitamin A deficiency, or an infection. What are you seeing? Do you have a clearer picture?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They look good to me . When they have runny eyes it looks like they are crying.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
JJ_BOY said:
His eyes were a bit watery

Is it normal

It's not unusual for eyes to be a bit water, maybe have a few tiny bubbles in them. These things pass. However, it can be an indicator of dry conditions and low humidity. What kind of substrate does he have? What's the humidity? He might need things to be a bit more moist for his eyes to feel completely normal.

Also, is he well-hydrated? Does he eat and drink enough? Does he have a shallow dish to soak in whenever he wants, and do you bathe him once a week? If not, then that could also account for dry, watery eyes.

Again, tough to tell from those pix. He looks okay, but if not, it's probably due to dehydration.

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I think I may just be seeing things but I will check all these things to give him the best condition. Thanks guys 😉

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
No and he is very active so I think it may just be a fluke.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah as long as he's eating and pooping I wouldn't worry too much

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You really can't tell with those pics. but his skin looks dry and flakey. If he's too dry or the enclosure is too hot with low humidity, it can cause the eyes to tear up. Make sure the temps are correct for him and that there is enough humidity or he can dehydrate.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Make sure your substrate has water mixed in so the under layers are moist (not soggy, just moist).
And try soaking him daily for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.