Is it Austwickia?

Chulekass

Location (City and/or State)
Tijuana
Hello, I'm very new here.
Having a tortoise has been My dream since I was a little child.
Is so sad to me to notice all these babies with infections.
I got mine from a local petstore in Tijuana México.
Just want to be sure if my "catita" has this stupid Austwickia and what could I do for him.IMG_20211101_115354.jpgIMG_20211101_115321.jpgIMG_20211101_115314.jpg

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
this *could* be, the one on the arm looks highly suspicious of it yes but the one on the lower front side is questionable. aw does cause swelling on the face or generally front of the body so it could be related.

Chulekass

Tijuana
Thank You for your replies, was painful but helpful.
My little friend has just passed, I can't describe how sad I'm feeling right now.
If there's anything I can do to help to stop this problem please let me now, I want to do something for these torts that I love

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
My little friend has just passed, I can't describe how sad I'm feeling right now.
If there's anything I can do to help to stop this problem please let me now, I want to do something for these torts that I love
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know this is an extremely hard time for you. In my opinion, you can do the following:

Burn any and all substrate this tort was on.
Perform a thorough cleaning of the enclosure and anything that may have come in physical contact with the tort. Do you have any other reptiles and if so have you been washing your hands after touching the sick tort?
Can you provide the name of the seller you purchased this baby from?

Chulekass

Tijuana
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know this is an extremely hard time for you. In my opinion, you can do the following:

Burn any and all substrate this tort was on.
Perform a thorough cleaning of the enclosure and anything that may have come in physical contact with the tort. Do you have any other reptiles and if so have you been washing your hands after touching the sick tort?
Can you provide the name of the seller you purchased this baby from?
Was the only baby living with me (no other pets of any kind), but anyways after realizing it was aw I was very careful with keeping anything as clean and separated as possible.
Sure, got him from "granero Los potrillos" a local petstore in Tijuana, the law is not clear about exotic pets in many aspects so I decided to go to an "official" store instead of a local bredder probably a wrong decision.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Was the only baby living with me (no other pets of any kind), but anyways after realizing it was aw I was very careful with keeping anything as clean and separated as possible.
Sure, got him from "granero Los potrillos" a local petstore in Tijuana, the law is not clear about exotic pets in many aspects so I decided to go to an "official" store instead of a local bredder probably a wrong decision.
I'd make a call to that pet store and let them know about what happened. AW is highly contagious so it could spread to the other reptiles at the store.

Chulekass

Tijuana
I'd make a call to that pet store and let them know about what happened. AW is highly contagious so it could spread to the other reptiles at the store.
Already told them, but they just keep the position of "we have some siblings, and still good so probably you did something wrong"
Seems like they tought I was trying to blame them or something.
Doesn't look interested into protect the other babies or Even check them for any symptoms.
Update: I was trying to get the information about how they got them but they can't share it apparentely.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So sorry to hear this. ?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Sorry to hear of your lost, it's pretty bad when other people worry more about making a few dollars, then the welfare of the animals they are selling. You tried to inform them of the possibility of the decease spreading. Give it sometime and try again, maybe you can get one from a breeder off this site. Good Luck!

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Sorry to hear of your lost, it's pretty bad when other people worry more about making a few dollars, then the welfare of the animals they are selling. You tried to inform them of the possibility of the decease spreading. Give it sometime and try again, maybe you can get one from a breeder off this site. Good Luck!
sadly even then you have to be careful. ill leave it at that.....

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Already told them, but they just keep the position of "we have some siblings, and still good so probably you did something wrong"
Seems like they tought I was trying to blame them or something.
Doesn't look interested into protect the other babies or Even check them for any symptoms.
Update: I was trying to get the information about how they got them but they can't share it apparentely.
Go take pictures of the siblings…it’s very likely many of the reptiles in that store have it.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm sorry your having to deal with this. Take some time if you need it, but don't give up on your dream.