Is it good idea to have a rhino iguana ?

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Normally iguanas don't like dogs
Okay, I take back my "haha". My computer wasn't loading the video so I popped onto my phone to watch it. That guy really shouldn't have been letting his iguana go after his dogs like that. Is he trying to teach people about proper interactions between iguanas and dogs? Or better yet, how to NOT have interactions between iguanas and dogs?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Okay, I take back my "haha". My computer wasn't loading the video so I popped onto my phone to watch it. That guy really shouldn't have been letting his iguana go after his dogs like that. Is he trying to teach people about proper interactions between iguanas and dogs? Or better yet, how to NOT have interactions between iguanas and dogs?
I don't condone it but it happened if anything it is a message to others of what not to do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it possible that they're friendly with calm dogs? I wouldn't be getting one for many years but chances are I'd either have my current dog or another one at the time that I would be able to look into getting one.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Likely one or the other will get bit, or your dog will lose and eye from a tail whip. Dogs and big lizards mix even worse than tortoises and dogs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HA! I didn't see the video on page two when I answered this question.

Yes, well… that is exactly what I was talking about.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I guess that means you aren't getting an iguana at least for the time being
Oh I wasn't planning on one for at least 5+ years. But if I did and I had a dog, I wouldn't be letting them interact, just like I don't let my dog interact with my turtles.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
HA! I didn't see the video on page two when I answered this question.

Yes, well… that is exactly what I was talking about.
Yeaaaah.... If I do end up getting a big lizard like I want eventually, I'm not letting them and my pup interact with each other. It was mostly a curiosity thing, anyway, if they could all get along. I'd never leave unsupervised, but now it would be complete separation if a large lizard ever made their way to me.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
A cautionary tale for you - I got my iguana as a tiny little monster back in 2004. He was about 6 inches long SVL and he was my baby. I loved him and spoiled him and he was literally my best buddy. He came to work with me at the vet clinic, he rode around in my car and he even tolerated petting from small noisy children. He was amazingly docile.

As a juvenile he was in a big 6x4x4ft cage and had plenty of room to explore. With proper care and attention he sprouted into a 5ft long 13lb behemoth. Every day he ate two turkey roasting pans full of organic greens and veggies and eventually I had to move into a larger place so he could have a 13x10ft room.

He was the sweetest critter. He never bit, hissed, whipped or did anything aggressive.

Then one day in 2010 (So he was 6-7 years old) we were on the couch watching cartoons and getting ready for a bike ride. I turned and looked at him and said "What are you staring at?" In a split second I nearly lost an eye and I am quite confident that I would be disfigured if I did not shell out thousands of dollars to a plastic surgeon to reconstruct my face.

All I can guess is that he didn't appreciate that my roommate had brought home a guy to stay the night and they weren't introduced. I believe he smelled some pheromones that he didn't like in 'his' territory and acted out.

Unfortunately I tried for about 3 months to get him to calm back down and he remained aggressive. He went to live at a pet store as an example of why iguanas aren't the best pets. He then proceeded to bite two more people and had to be euthanized.

Long story short, I don't recommend them at 'fun' pets. They can be mean son's of b!tches. (I rescued another iguana not long before I got this guy and rehomed him because he had killed 3 cats because he was in competition with them for basking spots) If you want something big-ish and fun I swear by Blue Tongued Skinks. I absolutely love them.

Big Pic: At the SECOND hospital because the first refused to stitch me up (no plastic surgeon on staff)
Top: Me with Dizzy about a month before
Middle: At home a couple days later
Botton: 4 years later and just a couple small scars. I consider myself to be quite lucky.

p980791413-4.jpg

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Wow , sorry to hear that , but thank you so much for telling us the story , that change my mind real quick about getting a iguana , after all they are just wild animal ..