Is it just me or is this forum slowing down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I dunno. It seems when I first joined there were so many more posts and quick responses. Now things seem a bit slower. I often check in to see the same posts just sitting there.

Just curious if it's my imagination or if things have actually died down. I know it has to be tiresome to say the same thing day in and day out. Poor Wellington has advised Tom's threads so many times she must be going stir crazy by now. lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, I keep trying to come up with a different way to advise them of Toms threads. Sometimes I feel like a broken record. However, I won't stop until everyone has forgotten the old dry way:D Yes, I do feel the same as you sometimes. I think the older experienced members has stopped answering the same old newbie questions and has left those for us newer/not quite as old members to handle. Kinda like passing the torch. That leaves them to not get burn out so quickly and to be around to get the really important ones. Just my guess. So, keep helping to fill in those spots:D

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
Haha maybe in the "welcome to the forum" message that new members get, they can add something like, BEFORE you post anything, read all of toms threads and do a search for any other questions you have.

Amy
Sulcata tortoise - Maximus

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
LOL Nelsamye.

Yes, Wellington, I've also thought what you wrote. The broken record thing has even gotten tiresome for me, and I'm fairly new. But I do try to pass on helpful information I've learned here and first hand. I don't think any tortoise should suffer for a lack of information. ;)

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I'm still quite new (how many post do you need to be a senior member?)and I've answered the same few questions 50 times... we have the search bar for a reason.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
tortoise007 said:
. we have the search bar for a reason.

On a side note:
The search feature doesn't work on the android app. I posted a question once from my phone app and was told to "use the search feature" but I couldn't. I don't get to the computer everyday so I had to wait a while before I could actually search for my own answers. I don't post my own threads very much anymore because I now default to searching first and usually get an answer that way.

But to answer you Tortus, it isn't just you. I would think "seasons" even on a forum would be normal.

Minority1

5 Year Member
you can just as easily find the answers you need by searching the interweb. Using keywords like Tortoise forum (question*) would just as easily send you to the right link you're after. You don't need to use an app for that.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Ebb and flow.

tortoise007 said:
I'm still quite new (how many post do you need to be a senior member?)and I've answered the same few questions 50 times... we have the search bar for a reason.

0 - 9 Newbie
10 - 49 Junior Member
50 - 249 Member
250 - 749 Senior Member
750 - 1999 Posting Freak
2000+ Veteran Member

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I joined in December and I actually noticed that about a month ago it seems to be less visited or less replies etc. maybe it is the buggy app that force closes every 5 minutes that is deterring people. It gets annoying sometimes and I just give up on the forum for a few hours.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's a seasonal thing. One big thing is with weather warming up, so many members are out in the real world working on their outside habitats or just plain getting out and doing things. Once your here for awhile, you get use to the rises and falls not only of active members, but new members and/or certain types of questions.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I noticed that I am good at killing threads. Once I respond that's it...lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
LOL Nelsamye.

Yes, Wellington, I've also thought what you wrote. The broken record thing has even gotten tiresome for me, and I'm fairly new. But I do try to pass on helpful information I've learned here and first hand. I don't think any tortoise should suffer for a lack of information. ;)

Too bad, I'm not shutting up:p :D the record will play until I'm dead or everyone knows it. No, I'm not telling you where I live, I don't want to watch my back:p :D :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
...until I'm dead...

Well I wasn't going to mention the smell, but since you kinda brought it up...

:p :D (and yes folks, I am only teasing Barb. See, better be careful or you may be my next victim.) :p :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Tortus said:
I know it has to be tiresome to say the same thing day in and day out. Poor Wellington has advised Tom's threads so many times she must be going stir crazy by now. lol

Like Wellington, I get tired of saying the same things over and over. This is going to sound bad, but I think it should counted as constructive criticism.

If people could do more research prior to coming on here and asking questions that have been answered many times previously, it would revive my enthusiasm for responding to posts. If I've said it 10+ times previously, I get put out with the laziness and no longer respond.

I suspect others feel similarly and I don't think your observation is too far off the mark.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
wellington said:
...until I'm dead...

Well I wasn't going to mention the smell, but since you kinda brought it up...

:p :D (and yes folks, I am only teasing Barb. See, better be careful or you may be my next victim.) :p :D

She's not teasing, don't by it. She's just mean:p :D

Okay, really we both are teasing. But beware, she is full of them today and you might be the next victim.:D LOL

graine

5 Year Member
Last thing I want to do is kill a thread; but TFO has been a life saver for my two Russians. I read the forum for over a month before joining and based on what I read, I probably saved my torts life based on the advice given to someone else. Just know that newbies like me are reading and learning. Thanks for being a broken record!!!!

Gary tortise fan

Jd3

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Tortus said:
I know it has to be tiresome to say the same thing day in and day out. Poor Wellington has advised Tom's threads so many times she must be going stir crazy by now. lol

Like Wellington, I get tired of saying the same things over and over. This is going to sound bad, but I think it should counted as constructive criticism.

If people could do more research prior to coming on here and asking questions that have been answered many times previously, it would revive my enthusiasm for responding to posts. If I've said it 10+ times previously, I get put out with the laziness and no longer respond.

I suspect others feel similarly and I don't think your observation is too far off the mark.

I'm new here... But not to forums. If you don't like repeating yourself, I'm not sure the Internet is for you....

Pick ANY topic. Google it and look at forum posts on that subject. It will be rehashed thousands of times.

But... Eventually you'll see the advice and opinions start to evolve. Then the common knowledge evolves. This is how we spread that word and how we fix things, while learning things ourselves.

This traffic flow is the normal ebb and flow of forums. They follow the seasons some. When it warms up and people get busy people spend less time online. Then they'll flow back. And away.

If something frustrates you just click out of the thread and move on. Don't let it make you feel like they're burdening you.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
She's not teasing, don't by it. She's just mean:p :D

Truer words can't be found. ;)

As to comments more on this actual thread subject, I actually like some of the repeating of questions, as sometimes it reminds you of things you have have forgotten or not really thought about in the past. Sometimes it's as simple of making you ask yourself, "Why do I do it this way or why did I not like that way".

I also like the slowing down times, it gives you a chance to do some breathing and to take the time to do more laughing, joking, and just generally get to know the other members better. To savor those wonderful pictures of beautiful critters and wondrous enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.