Is it safe for a box turtle to eat a salamander?

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, Alabama
I’m looking for safe food for my baby box turtle. I have a lot of small brown salamander’s around my house. Are they safe for Max to eat?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm haven't heard of anybody feeding them on purpose.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
I did find online that turtles being omnivorous do eat salamanders. So I guess that answers my question.
Thanks Gerry

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Turtles and tortoise are opportunistic, so yes if they can get a hold of something, they will eat it. Are these turtles native in your area?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
LOL....You were going to feed one cool animal to another?

I like salamanders and had them at my old house under logs, not so many here but I don't have empty woods, only lawn.

You have the hills there and cold streams so you have some good ones native but be really careful if you go searching for salamanders. Tip the rocks straight up and don't let them rock, replace them gently & exactly, what you don't see, you could kill. I dated a cool-as-sh*t Dr down at UVA- Roanoke who was big into them. She said a group of searchers from a Outfitters rafting group rock-tippers could frag an entire population because they didn't know what they were doing. She spent the 80's convincing them(outfitters) to stop doing that, and succeeded....none of the outfitters on the East Coast even allow it anymore.....which is pretty cool if you think about it....so maybe you stop jerking them out of the water to shove down Max's hungry gullet is a good idea too buddy? I nearly spit my OWN coffee out when I typed that Gerry! I'm teasing, but the fingers just typed all by themselves...like they just wanted to have some fun.....Lol

LMAO.........

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
LOL....You were going to feed one cool animal to another?

I like salamanders and had them at my old house under logs, not so many here but I don't have empty woods, only lawn.

You have the hills there and cold streams so you have some good ones native but be really careful if you go searching for salamanders. Tip the rocks straight up and don't let them rock, replace them gently & exactly, what you don't see, you could kill. I dated a cool-as-sh*t Dr down at UVA- Roanoke who was big into them. She said a group of searchers from a Outfitters rafting group rock-tippers could frag an entire population because they didn't know what they were doing. She spent the 80's convincing them(outfitters) to stop doing that, and succeeded....none of the outfitters on the East Coast even allow it anymore.....which is pretty cool if you think about it....so maybe you stop jerking them out of the water to shove down Max's hungry gullet is a good idea too buddy? I nearly spit my OWN coffee out when I typed that Gerry! I'm teasing, but the fingers just typed all by themselves...like they just wanted to have some fun.....Lol

LMAO.........
Thanks Jeff, the ones I find are nowhere near water. I find them under just about anything laying on the ground. I’m still not going to take the chance and feed them to Max.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
She looks very elegant, which is not something I would ever expect to say about such a dog.-they are usually ones I tend to avoid, -slightly scary.
Angie
She was 6 weeks old when I got her. I’ve spent every day and night with her, which is easy for me being retired. She loves everyone she meets and his never showed any aggression. Most loving dog I have ever had.
Thanks Gerry

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Max update: He really like’s his new heated soaking pool, after staying in it all night and most of the morning and yes he knows how to get out when he wants to, I got him out to feed him. I had him a nice fat slug, which I’m sure he had never seen one before. I set him down about four inches from his feeding rock and thin put the slug on the rock. He wasted no time getting to it and started biting at it. But it was too big for him to get a bit of, so I started cutting it up, he didn’t want me to mess with it, he even bit the knife I was using. To my surprise he eat all of it.
I have also added plants in one area. He liked checking them out and even burrowed in under them, where he spent the night after the big slug meal.
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

Attachments

• IMG_1960.MOV
    19.2 MB
  • 603CA19E-3C96-4317-9ED8-3DB390555F4C.jpeg
    603CA19E-3C96-4317-9ED8-3DB390555F4C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5