Is Jasper OK? HELP!

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE: I will start turning his UVB light off earlier until we get a different bulb (they didn't have one at Petsmart). I also moved him into his hides at night so it's darker- he stopped sleeping in his hides as well. I will start adding kale to his diet and carrots every month or so. We're going to go to Petco or Pratt's Pets soon, and we'll buy eye ointment and a different bulb then. Wish Jasper luck!

Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE: I'm very worried about him. He didn't eat. I gave him kale and carrots this morning. I put him in his soaking dish to wake him up, but he didn't, he just rested his head on one of the rocks and fell asleep. He won't open his eyes, but responds when I touch his head or legs. If I lift up his head, he won't do anything, but will slowly look around a little bit. He just seems... Weaker. Please help.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424369388.992516.jpg

Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE: I'm very worried about him. He didn't eat. I gave him kale and carrots this morning. I put him in his soaking dish to wake him up, but he didn't, he just rested his head on one of the rocks and fell asleep. He won't open his eyes, but responds when I touch his head or legs. If I lift up his head, he won't do anything, but will slowly look around a little bit. He just seems... Weaker. I think his neck is also swollen. Please help.View attachment 119033

Heather H

N.E. ohio
@Tom @Yvonne G
What is the substrate? The enclosure needs to be covered. He needs to eat a more varies diet. I know it's hard this time of year. He needs heat and moisture. He needs to be soaked in a carrot bath. He needs help. I'm not trying to be mean. Honestly I'm trying to help. Do you have a humidity/temp gage? You can get a digital one for around $10. He's a baby . Where did you get the plants in the enclosure? Are they real? I tagged a couple of great people. Did you read the care sheets?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Can you post pictures of Casper. Including his eyes, nose and whole body.also a picture of where the tape was. :)

Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE. AGAIN: We took Jasper to a person that breeds and sells tortoises at Petsmasrt. She thinks Jasper is constipated and needs more calcium. She instructed to give him soaks 2-3 times a day. I also put calcium powder in his soaking water. He seems more alert and responsive now that he's been in the water for a while... Hopefully he's better soon.

Phoenix, AZ
@Tom @Yvonne G
What is the substrate? The enclosure needs to be covered. He needs to eat a more varies diet. I know it's hard this time of year. He needs heat and moisture. He needs to be soaked in a carrot bath. He needs help. I'm not trying to be mean. Honestly I'm trying to help. Do you have a humidity/temp gage? You can get a digital one for around $10. He's a baby . Where did you get the plants in the enclosure? Are they real? I tagged a couple of great people. Did you read the care sheets?
Substrate is soil and coconut fiber. The enclosure is covered. He has heat and moisture. We took him to a tortoise breeder and she thinks he's just constipated (that's why he's not eating or moving around) and needs more calcium.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yawningg? Sounds like open mouth breathing to me, possible RI, could be starting. What are his temps? I would start baby food soaks for the little guy.

Phoenix, AZ
Yawningg? Sounds like open mouth breathing to me, possible RI, could be starting. What are his temps? I would start baby food soaks for the little guy.
I'll start the baby food soaks. The swelling has gone down (not even sure if it was swelling, it was just on his chin). Basking area is 95-100 F, the rest of enclosure is 70-75 F.

Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE: I've soaked him for the second time today, and he's a more active in the water, but won't open his eyes. He would stomp around the tub sometimes and look around, and scratch at his eyes. Not like he didn't want to open them, like he couldn't. First time I soaked him only one eye was open.

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Whatever the cause is - whether it's the bulb, vitamin A deficiency, calcium/constipation (which doesn't make any sense to me, but I could be wrong...), or a RI (he would show a whole bunch of signs like open mouthed breathing, runny nose, wheezing, lethargy) you will not see any major improvement overnight.

I understand it is really stressful to know your tortoise isn't doing well, and I hope he does get better. Just relax and do what you can.

Would you be willing to share any pictures of your tortoise? Maybe taking a look at him will help.

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Plain old soaks and perhaps some pumpkin can help your tortoise poop. I personally would not add calcium to the water. I would stick with the baby food.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
What are the temps and humidity in his enclosure? Can you post pictures of him?

Phoenix, AZ
Here's some pictures. He won't eat the strawberries and keeps holding his head sideways?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424394911.730461.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424394948.914637.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424394965.439374.jpg

He's holding his head pretty much normal now.

Last edited: