Is Jasper OK? HELP!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can help. It doesn't sound like pneumonia to me (lower respiratory infection), and I wouldn't jump so far as to say he has kidney failure. I also don't know when the last time he pooped was, or if he's trying to push anything out during his soaks, so I don't know if it's constipation. You have to narrow everything down to see what the issue is.

His legs kind of look weird to me, but I'm not an expert, and I don't have a russian. Could be normal. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

Phoenix, AZ
He seemed more alert when I took him out of the tub. He would put his legs right back in when I touched then and was looking around. But when I put back in his enclosure, he was just barely opening and closing his mouth a lot, like s tiny, tiny yawn. He made a hissing/wheezing sound just now.

Phoenix, AZ
HELP: he keeps opening and closing his mouth, like its hard to breathe. He made a hissing wheezing sound. Just now, he made a bubbly sound and went into his shell. I know he needs a vet but it's too late right now. I need more help then ever.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would put him back into his warm enclosure and take him to the vet tomorrow. Just make sure he's warm.

Phoenix, AZ
I would put him back into his warm enclosure and take him to the vet tomorrow. Just make sure he's warm.
He's back in his enclosure under the lamp, but he keeps putting his head in his shell and opening/closing his mouth like its hard to breathe.

Now nasal discharge-just a little bit. In not going to be able to sleep tonight. Too much worrying.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry you weren't able to save him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Phoenix, AZ
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Thank you. I will see Jasper again someday.