Jasper = Badish News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Day 1 - PM:
Jasper my cat is breathing funny, with is mouth open and his belly is funny, sneezing and coffing!

Day 2 - DINNER TIME:
Take him to the vets, found its a respiritory problem, now she gave him some antibiotic injection and took his tempreture ( it was sky high) so she gave him an injection to bring that down!

Day 3 - AM
Jasper still breathing funny, has to go back to vet to see if his tempreture has gone down (hope so)

ABOUT JASPER
He is my ginger cat, love him more than anything, he is 11 years old, never had problems in his life, he is eating and drinking he just cant breath very well but he isnt in a bad state :(

QUESTIONS FOR YOU!
What will happen if he temp doesnt come down?

What if i have a choice to put him to sleep or not?? Becuase he isnt in pain, he is purrrring and wagging his tail and got a cold wet nose, its just his breathing..shall i put him to sleep??

Whats the best thing that can happen, does it take weeks to clear??

What if it decide not to put him to sleep?? Will he die in pain??

Now i wont know untill 5 oclock today, but im a person who thinks negative so that when something goods happens its great, rather than thinking great and its all bad!!

HOPE HE GETS BETTER!! I hope the vet doesnt say..the kindest thing would be......
I hope i hear, his temp is coming down........

I dont know what respiritory problems are... is it a callapsed lung?? How do they catch it?

What treatment helps it? Can it be cured??

THANKS EVERYONE IN ADVANCE

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Sorry, I can't help you but I am so sorry to hear that Jasper is not feeling well Kymiie :( Keep us updated plese.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could be some sort of cold-like illness, it could be pnuemonia. Neither has to be life-threatening. Just give the medication the vet gave you and hope for the best. Jasper WILL get better!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I'm not sure on this myself, and I've dealt with many, many cats. Never had one with issues like this though.

One thing though is, is Jasper allowed outside at all? Are your windows open (with a screen) ever where he could sit in the window for fresh air?

I ask, because cats can contract things from other cats, just by the touch of a nose. So maybe if he was sitting in the window, another cat (feral or outdoor cat) could have gone up there, they sniffed each other and got something.

It's a possibility.

Not sure where you are, but if he is allowed outside, it could be getting too cold at night, or if you leave the windows open.

Just trying to think of things. Did you change your litter brand recently?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I adopted a cat from a shelter with a sever respiratory infection like yours. It was bad, but he survived. The biggest problem from fever is dehydration so you will need to make sure he is eating and drinking. Give him wet food, syringe feed him if necessary and drop little bits of water into his mouth. If he gets too dehydrated, the vet can give him IV fluids. It does take a long time to clear, so be prepared to wait it out. Mine was very sick for over 3 weeks. Putting him down probably won't be necessary so put that decision on hold for now.

I'm not totally sure of this, but I believe these respiratory infections are due to a herpes virus - not transmitted to or from humans. Just like human herpes you can't treat the virus, but you can treat any secondary infections. He should probably be on antibiotics to prevent other problems. His eyes may get watery and infected, so have some Terramycin available and ready.

He will more than likely recover, but again, just like human herpes, these break outs will come back now and then. Mine will get them when he gets stressed out (like when a neighbor's cat came to our window everyday and tried to fight with him through the glass.) There is some evidence that l-lysine helps keep the break outs at bay, so I give him a little everyday in his food, and it has seemed to help - no breakouts since I started using it.

I hope this was somewhat helpful for you. Hang in there - and keep him eating and drinking!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You might want to give him Pedia-lite (sp?) instead of water. It is the stuff you give babies when the are dehydrated. I have heard of people giving it to animals.
Also try positive thinking:)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
UPDATE
Just got back from the vets! She says he looks better, his temp has come down but not alot! She wants to see him again on monday. She gave him 2 more injections to keep him going over the week end, he is eating and drinking fine!! I asked what the worst outcome if his temp dont come down, she said, i think it will, it normally does, i said is it a long process, she said yeah! so just a waiting game, i dont think he will need to be put down, (hope not~) im at ease now!!

I live in england, the temps here at night are 14 celcius, we having really hot weather at the moment, he goes outside and poos outside !! xx

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
So glad to hear it! The fact that he is eating and drinking is a very good sign!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Don't worry too much..our Boris once was sick like that, really fast breathing, panting actually...his tongue was hanging out and we thought he'd die from asphyxiation or organ failure (all the vet could tell us was "viral respiratory infection, treat the symptoms as best you can") and we kept him in our bathroom in his cat bed next to the warm running shower for humidity to ease his breathing...we fed him water from an eye dropper and he just lay there and labored and purred and it broke our hearts (revealed what a softie my husband really is about these dumb cats), and now 6 years later Boris is still around, so cheer up and take good care of Jasper and he'll probably pull through for you. :D

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Thanks for your comment stephanie, see I tried to keep jasper in the house but its too warm for him he wont settle he keeps meowing to get out!! The thing with jasper I dont get, he is still jumps and still quite active, but obviously would rather rest with not being able to breath very well!!! He isnt lathargic, and I think how can you look so well when your so poorly.... when i have a cold and my nose bloacks up @ night i struggle to breath so he is very strong cat!!!! xx

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How high is his temp?
From what you say, he seems to be acting good. I wouldnt worry too much. There are many other things it could be.. Did the vet test for FIP or take an xray?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Today I seen jasper and he has bubles when he sneezes from his nose... this a bad sign or a sign of betting beter??? Never had then before! x

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Kymiie said:
Today I seen jasper and he has bubles when he sneezes from his nose... this a bad sign or a sign of betting beter??? Never had then before! x

Really, I would suggest keeping him indoors until you can get this under control. If it is too warm, I would keep him in a cool room (maybe window AC)? If you don't have central air. Outdoors, where it likely gets cool and maybe wet if it rains, isn't going to help. Or the possibility of running into another cat with more issues.

Cats outdoors have a much, much lower life expectancy than those that are indoors. I have been blessed with two cats that reached over the age of 20. One died a few years ago at 21 and Callie, who is 22 is still with me.

This is just a suggestion, but you will do what you think is best, good luck.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, I agree - keep him inside where you can watch him. Cats have a tendency to hide when they are sick. He could get worse and you possibly would not be able to find him. He needs to be watched for dehydration. The sneezing and bubbling are part of the infection, so they are to be expected. They can get very congested and lose their sense of smell which can cause them to stop eating. Sometimes very stinky wet food (the kind that makes me gag!) will entice them. If he is still eating and drinking, he is doing well. Unfortunately, it is going to take a while for him to get over this. Hang in there!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
with regard to putting him down... He will let you know when life becomes too unbearable. As long as he is loving, purring, eating, he is not ready to pass over the rainbow bridge. It is a hard thing to know we'll outlive our furry companions, but not the reptiles.. will they miss us when we're gone, as we miss them?? Keep up your hopes, prayers and good attitudes. Your baby knows your stress.

teri

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I cant keep him inside its too warm, i dont have air con... tried with my fan on number 5 (highest) he was still panting....wont keep him in...not fair!!!

Yes he still eating and drinking, and he isnt hiding he comes bk when i shout him thats all fine!!

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.