Is my Testudo tortoise blind?

BrunoTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a Testudo named Bruno. I've had him for about a year. I've noticed a similar trend , that when I give him food.. He won't be able to see it (or maybe he just doesn't want it) until I hold it in front of him and he won't eat it unless he touches it with his nose a couple times. Is this normal? Thank you so much if you know the answer!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can you photograph his/her eyes and face?
Also, just a theory....Can you photograph or describe the lighting you use and the enclosure?
Blindness is not normal and he may not be blind. Or he may be getting damage from a light or other equipment in the enclosure.
Actual and permanent blindness would be unusual.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I have a Testudo named Bruno. I've had him for about a year. I've noticed a similar trend , that when I give him food.. He won't be able to see it (or maybe he just doesn't want it) until I hold it in front of him and he won't eat it unless he touches it with his nose a couple times. Is this normal? Thank you so much if you know the answer!
I am not familar with Testudos, but with each of our CDTs, exploring unknown objects and objects of food, it seems their norm to explore first with their noses. Hopefully, your tortoise isn't blind.

BrunoTheTortoise

Florida
Can you photograph his/her eyes and face?
Also, just a theory....Can you photograph or describe the lighting you use and the enclosure?
Blindness is not normal and he may not be blind. Or he may be getting damage from a light or other equipment in the enclosure.
Actual and permanent blindness would be unusual.

Here are pictures of them. Recently, my heat lamp broke, I ordered a new one two days ago (it will come in 3 days, but it's really hot in florida, so I haven't seen any signs of discomfort in bruno). However, these things also occurred with the heat lamp.

Attachments

• 424A54DB-373C-415C-AE50-60D640629A3C.jpeg
    424A54DB-373C-415C-AE50-60D640629A3C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • CBBA3180-664F-4DF3-96FC-3DE1F3ADC61A.jpeg
    CBBA3180-664F-4DF3-96FC-3DE1F3ADC61A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • FCD8643B-D6C6-4771-8169-FD9EEA546CDA.jpeg
    FCD8643B-D6C6-4771-8169-FD9EEA546CDA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

BrunoTheTortoise

Florida
I am not familar with Testudos, but with each of our CDTs, exploring unknown objects and objects of food, it seems their norm to explore first with their noses. Hopefully, your tortoise isn't blind.
All right; I may be overreacting too. I just want to consider any possibility and this was the first to come to mind. I'm sorry if I'm just wasting your time!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
His eyes look bright and clear and I see nothing alarming in or on the enclosure.
Other than the fact it's too small.
So my guess is that @orv is correct.
Let's hope so.
Do you have a UVB light or just the heat lamp?
You need both.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Your tortoise's eyes look good to my unprofessional eyes. Remember, our tortoise/turtle's vision is bi-lateral, in that their vision is focused to one side or the other. They can't see forward as we do; they can't focus on objects on both sides, only on each side at a time. If (and I'm not an expert) the above os true, it leads me to the conclusion that our tortoises smell, rather than visualize their foods. Remember, all this is from my visualization, not science. Oh well . . . shoot me.

BrunoTheTortoise

Florida
His eyes look bright and clear and I see nothing alarming in or on the enclosure.
Other than the fact it's too small.
So my guess is that @orv is correct.
Let's hope so.
Do you have a UVB light or just the heat lamp?
You need both.
Yes, I do have both. I usually use the UVB light at night where he sleeps above. The heat lamp I keep on for short periods of time, because we live in Florida where it's really hot anyways. But thank you very much!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes, I do have both. I usually use the UVB light at night where he sleeps above. The heat lamp I keep on for short periods of time, because we live in Florida where it's really hot anyways. But thank you very much!

Your tortoise should have no lights on at night. It needs to be totally dark.

Your uvb light needs to be on during the day, not night.