Is My Tortoise Healthy?

webuser888

Location (City and/or State)
MD
20180907_114426.jpg 20190118_161002.jpg 20190127_103849.jpg I am uploading a video (failed); can someone tell me if she walks okay? Isn't she looking a bit clumsy? She laid 2 eggs (didn’t survive) before, so I know it’s she.

First of all, she eats very little, I have to feed her every time a small piece of kiwi or tomato or 1 shrimp every 2-3 days, or she doesn’t eat. When she eats, she doesn't seem to chew the food? Just a few bits and swallow down and stops. Sometimes she keeps her mouth wide open before she stops eating, wonder why? She drinks daily though with my help.

Secondly, she doesn't like to be kept in a tank nor a fenced area. So, I let her walk through the house.

She likes to sleep under the chair in the library, or any corner. She will get sun tan

One of her nail came off.

So, are there any concerns? Is there anything I need to do to help her to grow up healthier, bigger?

Thanks!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome to the forum! Is she a box turtle?
This behavior is not normal, healthy behavior. I think she is too cold. Tortoises and turtles have very specific heat and light requirements and if she isn't getting it she won't eat and her health will go down hill. She needs to be in an enclosure wether she likes it or not. You can't keep her warm enough and get her the UVB light she needs if she is roaming your house.
Here is a link to read:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I'd like to give you a caresheet too but I'm unsure what species she is. Can someone please identify her?

Most species need to keep their temperatures around 85 degrees to digest food. That usually means a basking area of 95-100 degrees. Her nail falling off is perhaps a sign that she is lacking in UVB light and nutrition. You'll need to make some big changes if you want to give her a good life. We can help you get her set-up properly.

webuser888

MD
She looks more like a Russian tortoise or steppe tortoise? a box turtle?

She gets direct sunlight indoor throughout the window when available. She’s also getting a hot bath every day. Looks like I need to set her up in a tank which she doesn’t like, with higher temp. Thanks.

webuser888

MD
More questions: I hold her in my chest often and make sure she wakes up everyday To avoid hibernation. Is it ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello WebUser..

Yep, you have yourself a Box Turtle. Make sure you read the info here
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

It needs a lot of care this time of year, access to water, long periods of proper light, warm areas, good variety of etc.

Holding it on your chest really isnt the best way to keep it from brumating. Read up on the info. Daily long warm water soaks, good food, and a good enclosure, good substrate.

Upload some pix of your enclosure so ppl can help. Good luck happy torting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm fairly sure that all your turtle's problems are stemming from the fact she isn't kept in a regular habitat, suitable for box turtles. If they can't get their inner core warm enough to digest food, they won't eat - and sun from the window isn't good enough. She needs a good UVB light, substrate to dig into, a feeding tile, a waterer she can sit in, some plants and a couple hiding places. Keeping the light on for 14 hours a day is what keeps her from hibernating, not sitting on your chest.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
She looks more like a Russian tortoise or steppe tortoise? a box turtle?

She gets direct sunlight indoor throughout the window when available. She’s also getting a hot bath every day. Looks like I need to set her up in a tank which she doesn’t like, with higher temp. Thanks.
This is not a russian tortoise. Looks more like an Eastern box turtle. Sunlight through a window will not provide her with the uvb light she needs. The window or screens or plexiwill block all uvb light. An aquarium is also to small. She needs at least a 4 by 8 enclosure with a closed top to keep humidity and heat where it needs to be. Please read our care sheets, make needed changes and come back with any questions.

webuser888

MD
Hello WebUser..

Yep, you have yourself a Box Turtle. Make sure you read the info here
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

It needs a lot of care this time of year, access to water, long periods of proper light, warm areas, good variety of etc.

Holding it on your chest really isnt the best way to keep it from brumating. Read up on the info. Daily long warm water soaks, good food, and a good enclosure, good substrate.

Upload some pix of your enclosure so ppl can help. Good luck happy torting!

Thanks a lot for all your answers and concerns. She doesn’t have any enclosure now. I’d done all wrong?

She used to struggle and wanna to get on the floor when I hold her in my chest. Now, she’s used to it especially when she’s sleepy. I used to concern about how she walks, but now it’s ok, it seems it’s normal after I watched other online videos. I noticed one of her nail came off (see picture). She needs calcium?

I built a cage in my front yard for her, she didn’t like to be trapped. I moved her inside with a huge container, she didn’t like it either. So I let her walk around in the house. She pees and poops wherever. She usually poops in her bathing daily. She will be leave in the Sun (in door) for a few minutes until she struggles out.

She usually gets up around 8:30 am, I will feed her with a small piece of kiwi or tomato plus half raw shrimp (she loves it, she’s picky on food), then drink water. I noticed if I let her drink water first, she would eat with water came out of her mouth. BTW, she doesn’t chew a lot, she bites 3-4 times, then use the whole body’s strength to swallow down. Looks weird but I guess it’s ok?

She likes to hide under the chair in the library which is her favorite spot. I always move her to her own bed afterward.

Attachments

• DAA142EE-86F2-4AD8-AAC0-719AF1D8F77A.jpeg
    DAA142EE-86F2-4AD8-AAC0-719AF1D8F77A.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 25
  • F901560F-2F4E-4FBB-BF63-FE0294A5EE64.jpeg
    F901560F-2F4E-4FBB-BF63-FE0294A5EE64.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 25

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello...to answer your question...your Eastern box turtle will eventually not be healthy if you continue to treat it like it’s a domesticated warm blooded mammal. Please read the care sheets provided on this site on how to take care of a box turtle.

blondie321

Port St. John, Florida
Avoid tomato’s with her. Boxies and tomato’s or peppers do not mix very well. Also make sure she is getting enough warmth and calcium. Sometimes they can be pretty picky eaters and stubborn when it comes to changes but as long as you can slowly inroduce what she needs I’m sure she will be fine.