Is my tortoise unhappy?

Rjaneh

Location (City and/or State)
Merseyside
Helloo, I have had my 9 month old Hermanns for a couple of months now and I'm quite worried about his/her behaviour. 'His' name is Esio :)

He originally had a 90x45 table which he constantly clawed up the sides at, as if he was trying to get out, making me think perhaps he needed more space. I have since upgraded him to a much bigger table using the extension pack, however he it still doing it and it's driving him (and me!) crazy!

Unless he is sleeping or eating, he spends most of his time he spends scratching at the walls or pacing up and down the side of the walls!!!

I wouldIMG_1523982196.527949.jpg really appreciate any help or advice as I want him to be happy !!!! Thanks guys !!! IMG_3660.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
From the pictures I would recommend more sight barriers.
Plants, rocks, etc scattered around. It just looks to open.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial. Your tortoise is trying to escape so it can get back to its original territory (where it was kept before you got it). He should settle down in a couple weeks, once he realizes his new area is safe and food and hiding places are provided. Put a few plastic aquarium plants with weighted bottoms in there so it's not so open. They need to feel safe.

Rjaneh

Merseyside
Thankyou for your answers! I am going to do just as you suggested and get some more barriers and plants x