Is she sick or depressed. Help

Franklina

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My sulcata is not looking very healthy. We live in Florida and got a lot of rain over the last couple days. His home was damaged before the storm and he was working on a new one before the storm hit. He just doesn’t look good. He barely moved for the last 2 days and doesn’t appear to be eating. His head keeps twitching back and forth and is a little droopy when he’s sleeping. I’m not sure when the last time he pooped was. I’m a little worried

997442AE-BAFE-460F-A142-2976854518F5.jpeg

Franklina

Florida
No, but it is 80 degrees outside. He is too heavy for me to lift. Can I cover him with towels or something. He may have eaten an avocado ☹.

Franklina

Florida
I put some cactus in front of him and he didn’t even move. I am going to try to give him a warm soak today. What temp should my water be and how long should I do it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I put some cactus in front of him and he didn’t even move. I am going to try to give him a warm soak today. What temp should my water be and how long should I do it.
I would use water in the 90-95 degree range and soak for about 30 minutes or maybe even 45 minutes. Just make sure to watch the tortoise so that if he is really weak, his head doesn't droop down into the water causing him to drown. Also don't leave the tortoise soaking in direct sun if you do it outside as that could overheat it. I always soaked mine in the shade when doing it outdoors to prevent such occurrences.

Franklina

Florida
Thank you.
I would use water in the 90-95 degree range and soak for about 30 minutes or maybe even 45 minutes. Just make sure to watch the tortoise so that if he is really weak, his head doesn't droop down into the water causing him to drown. Also don't leave the tortoise soaking in direct sun if you do it outside as that could overheat it. I always soaked mine in the shade when doing it outdoors to prevent such occurrences.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
When you say he may have eaten an avocado do you think he also swallowed the pit? How large is your tortoise?

Franklina

Florida
I’m have never done this before so forgive my ignorance. How much water water should I put in the tub. Is 2 inches okay? That will leave his head out and I have it on a slope so his back end will be under. He’s 8 years old and about 50 lbs.
When you say he may have eaten an avocado do you think he also swallowed the pit? How large is your tortoise?
No he takes off the flesh and doesn’t eat the pit. I have a very large avocado tree in my yard and until yesterday didn’t know how bad they were for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 65

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My sulcata is not looking very healthy. We live in Florida and got a lot of rain over the last couple days. His home was damaged before the storm and he was working on a new one before the storm hit. He just doesn’t look good. He barely moved for the last 2 days and doesn’t appear to be eating. His head keeps twitching back and forth and is a little droopy when he’s sleeping. I’m not sure when the last time he pooped was. I’m a little worried

View attachment 310870

to me she looks a little dry?
I have never seen a sulcata sleep out in the open like that??? They would normally hide no??

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’m have never done this before so forgive my ignorance. How much water water should I put in the tub. Is 2 inches okay? That will leave his head out and I have it on a slope so his back end will be under. He’s 8 years old and about 50 lbs.

No he takes off the flesh and doesn’t eat the pit. I have a very large avocado tree in my yard and until yesterday didn’t know how bad they were for them.
Yes, two or three inches of water should be fine. As I said, just be sure the tortoise can easily keep his head out of the water. A rule of thumb is to make the water level come to roughly the point where the top and bottom shells meet. Or about to the level of the lower part of the neck where it enters the shell.

Putting the tub on a slight slope will allow you to get more water over the back of the tortoise as you mentioned, and should be a fine idea in this situation.

Franklina

Florida
to me she looks a little dry?
I have never seen a sulcata sleep out in the open like that??? They would normally hide no??
I’ve never seen him behave the way he has been for the last couple of days. I just got done soaking him and he looks a lot better. His eyes are bright and he went to the bathroom a little. Still no interested in treats, but he’s never had cactus before. He’s abandoned his home for some reason and was working on a new one, then we got 4 inches of rain and high winds. Could have been shock. We are going to build him a new shelter this weekend.

GMDVM

Ionia New York

Good he didn't eat the pit, as that could cause a blockage. Avocado contains a toxin, so plenty of fluids for him is helpful to flush out the toxin and keep his kidneys working. If he doesn't start perking up, I would have your veterinarian give him fluids

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I’ve never seen him behave the way he has been for the last couple of days. I just got done soaking him and he looks a lot better. His eyes are bright and he went to the bathroom a little. Still no interested in treats, but he’s never had cactus before. He’s abandoned his home for some reason and was working on a new one, then we got 4 inches of rain and high winds. Could have been shock. We are going to build him a new shelter this weekend.

lots of luck . Like you said he is probably mad because his house was bashed.
Good for you for making him a new one this weekend!!! You are a good parent! ???

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
lots of luck . Like you said he is probably mad because his house was bashed.
Good for you for making him a new one this weekend!!! You are a good parent! ???

Maldonado if he has an avacado toxin in him give him plenty of water!!!!
Even try iceberg lettuce for the water content. It might make him poop a lot but hey.... a small inconvenience is better than a trip to the vet? I would think ??
Lots of luck .?❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Maldonado if he has an avacado toxin in him give him plenty of water!!!!
Even try iceberg lettuce for the water content. It might make him poop a lot but hey.... a small inconvenience is better than a trip to the vet? I would think ??
Lots of luck .?❤

what is that first word I just invented (thanks to Siri). I was trying to say
“and also”.. what Siri wrote is ..... Spanish?
??????

Skip K

Virginia
Being that avocado is toxic and the amount consumed ...you might check with a vet. For a larger tort...in lieu of a warm soak...you might want to consider a warm shower. I find this good for hydrating the entire tort...and provides stimulation

Skip K

Virginia
Also I have seen twitching before in lizards and can be a sign of early MBD. This might help...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcata is not looking very healthy. We live in Florida and got a lot of rain over the last couple days. His home was damaged before the storm and he was working on a new one before the storm hit.

Where is the tortoise sleeping?
When is it 80 degrees? During the heat of the day, or at night?

If the tortoise is sleeping outside in that sort of wetness and humidity and the temp is dropping below 80, you've found your problem. Your tortoises needs a dry, properly insulated, heated shelter that is kept at 85-86 all winter and 80 the rest of the time. Like this:

Or this:

Franklina

Florida
Franklina is looking better. Came out early to lay in the sun. Her head is not twitching today. We did give her another soak yesterday and it seems to perk her up. I haven’t seen her eating yet which concerns me a bit and I don’t think she has pooped. She did pee in the tub and a very small poop 3 days ago. How often do I soak her at this point? Should I be trying to get her to eat something other then her normal grass and weeds she eats from our yard?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Franklina is looking better. Came out early to lay in the sun. Her head is not twitching today. We did give her another soak yesterday and it seems to perk her up. I haven’t seen her eating yet which concerns me a bit and I don’t think she has pooped. She did pee in the tub and a very small poop 3 days ago. How often do I soak her at this point? Should I be trying to get her to eat something other then her normal grass and weeds she eats from our yard?
Where is the tortoise sleeping?
When is it 80 degrees? During the heat of the day, or at night?