is the internet wrong about russian tortoises?

oceanmaster234

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I recently posted a thread asking if my plastic bin is a suitable tortoise enclosure. You guys responded with the fact that I need 4ftx8ft for an adult russian. However, basically every other website says the the minimum for an adult russian is 2ftx4ft. Are they just wrong? I am confused about this contrast in information. I am also sad because a size requirement of that large could very well throttle my chance of getting any real pet. As an animal lover, a tortoise would mean the world to me, but I am starting to lose hope that I am truly ever going to get a russian tortoise. It just seems like everything in my plan is starting to fall apart. I'm sorry for bringing my emotions here, I just felt like I needed to share them.;) If there is any help anyone can give, I will be happy to take it.

KSeaman

Washington
Knuckles, my Russian lives outside in an 8' X 6 ' blocked in area. He does OK but REALLY goes for a tour when I take him out for a walk in the yard. It is obvious he IS NOT happy when I bring him in for the winter but it's just too cold and wet for him to live outdoors for our winters. His indoor enclosure is one of the large totes, so his area is about 2' X 4'. Not ideal but we make it work. Hopefully I will be able to create a larger area for him in the future but for now indoors is 2 X 4. He is safe, fed well and cared for. I wouldn't rule out a Russian simply because of the size of your indoor enclosure if you can give him time outside the tote.

i appreciate you giving it so much thought and your desire to give your tortoise the best home possible.

Sulcatafriend

Usa
Tortoises roam miles a day in the wild but obviously we can't recreate that in our care but u should always give ur tort all the space u can give her.
8x4 is great but even bigger is better

They need to walk to keep there digestive system going

I recently posted a thread asking if my plastic bin is a suitable tortoise enclosure. You guys responded with the fact that I need 4ftx8ft for an adult russian. However, basically every other website says the the minimum for an adult russian is 2ftx4ft. Are they just wrong? I am confused about this contrast in information. I am also sad because a size requirement of that large could very well throttle my chance of getting any real pet. As an animal lover, a tortoise would mean the world to me, but I am starting to lose hope that I am truly ever going to get a russian tortoise. It just seems like everything in my plan is starting to fall apart. I'm sorry for bringing my emotions here, I just felt like I needed to share them.;) If there is any help anyone can give, I will be happy to take it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Outside in a safe, well planted enclosure is always better, and you live in a good area to set the tortoise up outside. Anyone can post their opinions on the web. And a lot of keepers don't understand the whole exercise/digestive tract thing. Besides the need for exercise, russian tortoises are hard wired to travel great distances for food, as it is scarce in their native area. Because of this "hard wired" thing, when kept in a too small enclosure he will dig at the corners, climb the walls, trying to escape, and he'll do this the majority of the day (and sometimes through the night).

The Hutt

Tappan, NY
Would keeping your Tortoise outside for long periods of time make it harder for them to get used to their indoor enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Would keeping your Tortoise outside for long periods of time make it harder for them to get used to their indoor enclosure?
Why is there a need for an indoor enclosure? If you live in an area of cold winters and you're keeping a tortoise that doesn't come from cold country, then you'll need the biggest indoor enclosure you can make room for. The tortoise will get used to changing 'house', but it may take quite a while. It's the keeper that has to put up with the noise they make trying to get out and back outside.

A lot of us who keep warm country tortoises have heated outdoor sheds or houses for them. That's a whole lot easier on both you and the animal.

The Hutt

Tappan, NY
Why is there a need for an indoor enclosure? If you live in an area of cold winters and you're keeping a tortoise that doesn't come from cold country, then you'll need the biggest indoor enclosure you can make room for. The tortoise will get used to changing 'house', but it may take quite a while. It's the keeper that has to put up with the noise they make trying to get out and back outside.

A lot of us who keep warm country tortoises have heated outdoor sheds or houses for them. That's a whole lot easier on both you and the animal.
I do have very cold winters. My indoor enclosure is more of the permanent home with playtime outside during the summer.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Think in terms of yourself. How much would you enjoy being confined to a hospital/bed room that you can not leave. You can't compare a studio apartment to a house because you can leave either. Bottom Line is how well do you provide for him. If size is the limiter think vertical or at least change out plants on the regular. The fact that you are here shows you are looking for the best for your Tortie. I can not say TFO is the end all be all, but I learned how to properly care for my Tortie with no prior experience- so I am a bit of a cheerleader!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I do have very cold winters. My indoor enclosure is more of the permanent home with playtime outside during the summer.
Well, the good thing about Russian tortoises is they hibernate. They can live outside then as the days get shorter and the nights cooler the tortoise prepares himself to hibernate. Once he's cleaned himself out you can box him up and store him in an unused closet until spring, when he can go back outside.